Buyer's Remorse (AKA "Hideous") - Giraffe's 1990 Grand Marquis LS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

+1 T fitting. hose it out real good.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

So I drove it quite a bit today to run some errands. I filled the oil with Mobil 1 10W-30 I had laying around that was originally intended for the Mustang, and the knocking seems a lot louder. I'll be switching back to 10W-40 on the next change, but will probably not be using the Lucas oil stabilizer like I used last time. I also noticed another sound when I got home that sounds valvetrain-related. I'll be posting a video in a new thread in tech about that.

In other news, I believe that the oil pan gasket was changed sometime in this car's past, and shoddily at that. I believe that my persistent oil leak is coming from the rear driver's side corner of the pan where the gasket looks like it is protruding quite a bit. It's the only way that area would get so much oil on it. This is what is spraying oil on my exhaust causing a constant oil burning smell.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0119.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	1281125

In other news, I got tired of the no-muffler dumped exhaust and went to a local shop with a pair of Flowmasters I had laying around and had them bend me a 2" dual system with tailpipes. This will be replaced someday by a full 2.5" stainless system, but that will be further in the future when I build a new engine for this car. This exhaust sounds good and will do fine in the mean time. It's a damn sight better than the no-muffler dumped right under the front seat setup it replaced.

Name:	DSC_0120.jpg
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	1281126Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0121.jpg
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	1281127

I also took care of the pressure wash today; I visited the junkyard as well and pulled a power steering pump pulley from a Mark VII to replace my wobbly one. I also pulled a head unit from a later GM, but it stopped working (no sound) not even half an hour after I plugged it into my car. Oh well.

Name:	DSC_0122.jpg
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	1281128
      —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
      1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
      1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
      1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

The duals look good. As does the 90 TC air cleaner assy & fan shroud. I need those bits for our cars..

Funny you didn't do the H-pipe, supposed to give more power or something. Ashley's doesn't have an H-pipe either yet looks cooler when idling and producing big steam. Shame about the no cats though, that might annoy you after awhile. Stink, stank, stunk.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I thought I wrote earlier about this but can't see it now.

I have never seen that particular new Ford radiator cap before but in the pictures you posted it says on the cap "Align arrow with vent" or some such. In the picture neither arrow was aligned with the vent. Like I said I never used that particular cap before.
          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I bought that cap . Do not like it's hard to open - no ears on cap to grab on to.
            -Nick M.
            Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
            03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Do you need to point an arrow at the vent tube?
              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Nope it doesn't line up on the 5.0 rad. Cap works on tons of cars. And on this cap it doesn't matter since fluid can still flow to the vent - no blockige
                -Nick M.
                Columbia, SC

Comment

Ok cool, as long as it flows.
                  02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                    The duals look good. As does the 90 TC air cleaner assy & fan shroud. I need those bits for our cars..

Funny you didn't do the H-pipe, supposed to give more power or something. Ashley's doesn't have an H-pipe either yet looks cooler when idling and producing big steam. Shame about the no cats though, that might annoy you after awhile. Stink, stank, stunk.
                    The front cats are still there. The guy at the exhaust shop said I didn't need the crossover; I didn't feel like arguing, so I just let it be. I want to get some modern hi-flow cats and get rid of the front ones some time in the future. Or I'll just leave it the way it is until I do a full 2.5" exhaust.

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                    I thought I wrote earlier about this but can't see it now.

I have never seen that particular new Ford radiator cap before but in the pictures you posted it says on the cap "Align arrow with vent" or some such. In the picture neither arrow was aligned with the vent. Like I said I never used that particular cap before.
                    I honestly have no idea what it means. No instructions came with it. I'll fiddle with it later.

In other news, my heat didn't work very well on my way to work today. It probably still needs some more flushing. *sigh*
                    —John

1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)

Comment

The arrow doesn't really matter. Its just an indicator used to tell you the cap is fully shut and not in the first detent where it won't build any pressure. The cap is round, the parts under it are round, and the hole it sits in is round.

Pan gasket could be original. They were using rubber by about 1990. Possible someone cranked it tighter for some reason though, or changed it and over-tightened the bolts. Once you squeeze that gasket out, it doesn't seal right. Be sure its not the lower intake or the valve covers leaking though. Both are more common than pan gasket problems, and much easier to fix. Doing a pan gasket with the engine in the car is a miserable task.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Whenever I've done in the oil pan gasket with the motor in the car I've ended up removing the upper intake/Plenum. Once that's off and out-of-the-way I generally remove the motor mount bolts. Then I put a jack with a piece of wood on the harmonic balanced and jack it up with pulleys removed . Pray for no baffle in oil pan...my 91 Colony Park did. Since that pan had been crushed I replaced it with a new Ford one which did not have a baffle. Also be sure to put the car in neutral. You do not have enough room to remove the oil pan but you do have space to work. Also be sure to put the car in neutral. Cleanliness is key. You can also remove the oil pick up if you cannot work the oil pan gasket under it. For the three times I've done this job on three different cars I've never had a leak once using the Fel-Pro permit dry with the locator dowels.
                        Last edited by TecNickal; 12-29-2016, 08:06 PM.
                        -Nick M.
                        Columbia, SC

Comment

That's exactly what I was thinking for replacing the gasket with it in the car. It's a really, really bad leak. I went back to the muffler shop because I noticed an exhaust leak after the install; there was already a bunch of oil as far down as the mufflers. It needs to get fixed.
                          —John

Comment

Bummer. You are almost at the point of removing it to do the remainder of the gaskets and the freeze plugs.
                            02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

And that would be why I will not change a pan gasket with the engine in the car. By the time you get enough stuff apart to actually do the job you could have just pulled the motor and had an easier time cleaning stuff.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

For me I don't have an engine hoist, or a cost efficient way to get one :-(. Yes easier out of car for sure but that's why I've been stuck doing it this way for long.

Also wasn't work with rusty parts maybe makes a difference?
                                -Nick M.
                                Columbia, SC

Comment

Working...
                                X