The 97 CV "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigMerc96 View Post
    FWIW, I ran 38psi in my '96 with its 215/70/15 tires, same pressure in my Town Car with its 225/60/16 seemed to wear the shoulders as if they were underinflated. At that time I was putting a ton of miles on it on the freeway and had some fairly sporty all-seasons. Bumped those up to 42psi (max on those was 50) and they wore evenly from there on out. Got my record best Panther fuel economy on those tires with them set at 42psi, managed just under 31mpg. New tires didn't like being aired up so high, so they have been run at 38psi like my '96 and are wearing evenly, 2nd best Panther fuel economy was on those at a hair under 30mpg. So there isn't really an exact science to it and there are a lot of variables, but the recommended pressure from the manufacture is always a compromise between ride quality and tire life/safety based on the tires the car was originally equipped with. Tires have changed a lot since then, and with most of our cars being in the 20+ year old range chances are the original tires can't even be bought anymore.

Quite true. Change the tire and you may need different pressure. Change the amount of crap you're hauling and that might do it too. I honestly thing the factory inflation on these cars was on the low side. I think my Continental calls for 26, and I think the Towncar may have been 30 or 32. I run the Conti at 35 and the Towncar about 38. I tried the Conti at 26 once just for yucks. Its a marshmallow anyway but with the tires that low it was actually scary.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

End of the year update:
      Finished the year at 183,779 miles.
      I put just over 16k on it since April.
      Finally got on the road in April, to reduce driving the Navigator as much.
      Did a MFS, upper and lower ball joints, alignment, parking brake, shift tube bolt, radiator.
      Not too bad, lol.

Its rolling well now. Putting an idler arm in tonight, since the bushing is smoked, and I'm getting some play in the steering while driving.
      Also have a leak in the rear brake line. Just picked up a 25' roll, and going to tear I to that over the next few days.
      Besides that, tires, maybe a tune with the CVPI air box and MAF.MAF
      And keep dropping weight. Down 149 lbs on the car. Nice.

-ryan s.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk
      08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
      97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
      94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
      73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
      12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
      Originally posted by pantera77
      Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

My 93 has been slowly getting worse with the steering. Not sure if tires (they are worn in the center and do that pulling back and forth at times) or idler arm (same thing happens with crappy idler arm and mine is original IIRC). I should probably just replace my idler arm since it's a cheap part just to make sure and get a greaseable joint.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Idlers on these are kind of a high wear thing. I've occasionally wondered if rebuilding one with a poly bushing would be of any use. For how cheap they are its probably not worth the effort though.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

FYI K8283 does not fit.
            Fucking clowns.
            The ID of the bushing is too small.

03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
            97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--

Comment

When I replaced my idler I went with Duralast. Looks like it made by Moog. The price isn't to bad but a bit more then Rockauto.
              1997 Grand Marquis LS HPP
              2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

- Richard

Comment

Originally posted by Pvt.Hudson View Post
                When I replaced my idler I went with Duralast. Looks like it made by Moog. The price isn't to bad but a bit more then Rockauto.
                That's what I used when I did the Mad Marquis. Was actually the same price for me at the time.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

sure the bushing from the old one didn't rust weld itself to the center link? I've seen that trick a few times, and its something of a motherfucker to get off.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                    sure the bushing from the old one didn't rust weld itself to the center link? I've seen that trick a few times, and its something of a motherfucker to get off.
                    Oh.

OH.

Fuck me.

I bet you're right.

Dirty SOBs.

-ryan s.
                    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      I was just gonna say that... Had that happen on the '98. Oddly the rot box Town Car didn't do that, but the mostly rust free '98? Yeah.. I was wondering WTF was going on till I took a break and then came back to it and noticed there wasn't a sleeve in the bushing on the one I took off, and there was a seam in what appeared to just be the stud on the center link. Took a chisel to that seam and opened it up a bit and the old sleeve popped right off after a few love taps. New one went on with anti-seize on the inside of the sleeve just in case I ever have to do it again.
                      -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
                      1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
                      1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
                      1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

Yup. The old sleeve was on there. A little heat to spin it around to access to the split line, and pop it open with a chisel. So that's done.
                        Also put in new brake lines from the master cylinder to the front and rear distro blocks. All done, bled and test driven.
                        Filled up on the way to a family party tonight. I think its like 4 or 5 consecutive tanks over 400 miles. Not too shabby.

-ryan s.

03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

Good deal. If it makes you feel better, you get better fuel economy than I do with the fuel miser diesel. I usually get right around 25 with that. I'm sure I could adjust my habits to squeeze more, but whatever. That car was built for a 55 national speed limit, at 65-70 its spinning fast enough that it stops being particularly miserly.

Comment

Yeah, I barely break 60mph now. I drive off the vacuum gauage now. I try and keep it above 16 inHg, so anywhere from 16-24, the higher the number, the betterer.
                            I'm averaging 22-24 mpg per tank right now, not too bad. It's the highway driving that it shines at. Trying to hit 30mpg, then consistantly hit 30mpg. That's the challenge.

-ryan s.
                            03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

I routinely hit 30mpg, 32-33 hwy at best doing 60-62 or so when I had the '98 GM ex oil company pool car from where my brother used to work. I don't know why, but those '98-'03 just seemed to return the best fuel economy of all the years produced (at least that I've driven). Then I read about people with the later town cars and grand marquis only returning 25mpg at best. Don't know why.
                              Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

I also have 3.27s. If I swap down to 2.73s, (which I want to), I'm sure I would be in that same range as well.

-ryan s.
                                03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

Working...
                                X