No announcement yet.

The 97 CV "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

probably an air leak but after you see if the O-Ring blew you can check for hot and ground at the connectors that power the spring solenoids. Black is ground the other wire is hot. (at least in 03)
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

yeah, soapy water is the answer. Possible the vent solenoid jammed open. If that happens, nothing will actually leak but all the air will dump out when it tries to fill. The vent solenoid outputs to a nipple on the side of the compressor. I think it should have a hose on there to a muffler that lives somewhere up on the header panel, kind of near the air filter. The lines rarely are a problem unless they got damaged, but the O-rings can fail if not installed right. Air lines can also come out if the ends are a bit too buggered to stay in the fitting. If thats what happened, just lop the last inch off with a razor blade, sand the sharp edge off and plug it back together.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks for the responses.
        I'm going to check through everything tonight.
        I may order a pair of solenoids for the bags, depending on what I find.

-ryan s.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk
        08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
        03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
        97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
        94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
        73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
        12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
        Originally posted by pantera77
        Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Those rarely fail honestly, the O-rings are more problematic. If you change them, make sure you lube them first. Jamming it in dry will result in an unfavorable outcome.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well, I ordered the solenoids anyways. They come with new O-rings.
            It did work yesterday on the way to lunch, but failed on the way home. That was the first time it worked in a week. That's what led me to believe a solenoid was bad. Intermittent function. If it was a leak, it would be broken all the time.

-ryan s.
            03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
            97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--

Comment

You might want to consider replacing the dryer on the compressor, or 'renewing' the dessicant in it by baking it dry. If there's a problem with the solenoids, maybe it developed from moisture in the system.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
              mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Check the wiring to the solenoids while you're in there. I had one break right at the plug, causing one spring to not inflate.

agreed on the moisture problems too. If the solenoids are soaking wet when you pull them, pull the drier off, open it, and cook the desiccant. Low temp in the oven for a while will do it, or short bursts in the microwave. Don't want to overheat them or the beads will crack. If you dial the power down on the microwave that might also work. They will go from tan to a blue-white color when dry.

Comment

Will do.
                  Air ride failed all day except it worked on the ride home from piano lessons.
                  I'll probably get into this Friday night.

-ryan s.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk
                  03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

Air ride worked on the way into work today.
                    Hmmm.
                    It started working only because I ordered parts for it.

-ryan s.
                    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

IDK if it has been said yet or not, but if the car is at ride-height, turn off the RAS system via the trunk switch. That will rule out an electrical issue because the system will not be doing anything electrically, so it theorhectically should maintain height for a week or more (My Town Car has gone as long as a month before I noticed I forgot to turn it back on because the warning light is disconnected from when it had coils). If it holds height with the system off then you surely have an issue with one of the solenoids sticking, vent solenoid on the compressor is not unlikely because if it sticks open the system will deflate any time the spring solenoids are commanded open even if its supposed to be filling the bags. You'll actually see the car dropping while the compressor is running if/when that happens. Same for if there is a hole in one of the lines.

The lines are not under any pressure unless the system is actively venting or filling. You can have a small leak in the lines and the system should still operate so long as the air leaking out is less than the amount of air the compressor can pump in, it will just take longer to fill the springs and may reach the time-out and shut down the compressor. The system does have a time-out for filling operations, if its seeing that the compressor is running and the car isn't raising it will shut down to prevent the compressor from overheating, I believe there is also a hard thermal shut off built into the compressor too.

If the car still sinks with the RAS turned off then you have a leak at one of the springs. That will either be the springs, the solenoids, or the o-rings that connect the 2.

I'm using lines, bags, and solenoids from a '94 in my '97 and they all still hold, but I did lube the o-rings when I put them together to avoid pinching them. I fully expected to have to replace some of that stuff and was just using the junkyard parts to see if the system was salvageable since I bought the car with coils installed and had no idea if the compressor or anything else was still good. But that was 5 years and 50k miles ago and its still working.
                      -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
                      1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
                      1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
                      1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

if you have a bum compressor relay it will do this too. THe solenoids open, the system thinks the pump is going, but in reality it just vents out. It would be very unusual for both solenoids or springs to fail at the same time.

Comment

My biggest issue is that it's intermittent. Sometimes it won't fill up for days, then it'll work for a trip into town, then fail on the way home.
                          Anyways, it did inflate on the way to pick up pizza last night. So I turned off the RAS while it was up. It hasn't deflated yet, so that's nice.
                          I'll take another look at the compressor vent line today, but I honestly feel it's one of the solenoids. (I bought two anyways to replace).
                          I'll be digging into it tonight.

Thanks for all the help mangs.

For having three vehicles with RAS, I certainly don't know too much about it, lol.

-ryan s.
                          03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

Mmm pizza.

Yes, that's all I got out of all that.
                            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I've got two with four wheel air. Its not that complicated, usually you figure out how it works when it fucks up.

Comment

Hmm... Wrong thread. This is not the what you're working on thread.

Sly Edit: Fixed. Moved the post to the correct thread.
                                Last edited by sly; 09-22-2018, 08:21 AM.
                                Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                                ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                                ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Working...
                                X