No announcement yet.

The 97 CV "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, I put the new solenoids in it yesterday. System did not inflate.

Then I took the compressor out, and checked the dryer and desiccant per Thain.
    Winner.
    The dryer had tons of water in it, and the valve going out to the line was essentially clogged with rust.
    Took it all apart, microwaved the desiccant and cleaned as much rust of as possible. Washed everything out with alcohol. Lubed the O-rings and reinstalled everything.
    It worked.
    It worked fine on the way to my parents house last night.

IT FAILED ON THE WAY HOME. It's back to dragging on the ground for me.

FYI: THE DRYER IS SPRING LOADED. JUST A HEADS UP TO ANYONE WHO DOES THIS IN THE FUTURE

Back to trouble shooting, probably getting the soap out now....

-ryan s.
    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
    Originally posted by pantera77
    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

if that solenoid had rust in it, it might be jammed again.

BTW there is a big-ass spring in there that I forgot to mention.

If you can get it to pump up, shut the switch off and see if it holds. If it does, that rules out the springs as the problem.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It works, for today.
        I shut the switch off. Time to see what happens.

The solenoid didn't have rust in it. The dryer in the compressor did. All around that "check valve" before the air exits out that 90* elbow into the line. I checked before I put it back together and it was all clear.

-ryan s.
        03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
        97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--

Comment

It sounds like you're talking about whatever's in the end cap, as seen in the second photo in the following linked post:

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post766481

NFC what's in there, though I'm not sure any valve there being stuck open would matter. If it's the solenoids on the bags that keep the air in the bags, then having an opening in the end cap on the dryer wouldn't seem to matter (though I suppose having a valve there stuck closed could be an issue.) It's been sounding like gadget has been talking about a solenoid on the compressor before the dryer. IDK the details, but if the dryer was so wet, I could see how there might be a concern with a solenoid before the dryer.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
          mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

i think thats just a filter since air has to run through it both directions. The vent solenoid lives down inside the compressor, hanging off the side of the head. Thats what jammed on the Continental from rust, and when I tried to clean it the little collar around the top of it where the O-ring seal sits crumbled to dust, effectively killing the compressor.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

NOTED.
              Thanks for the clarification mangs.
              I will absolutely be looking into that this evening.

-ryan s.
              03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

Compressor solenoid looked like dookie.
                Passages were nearly clogged.
                Totally unclogged and cleaned now.
                Resealed it and put it back together.
                It works.
                The back end came up and it sounded a bit healthier.
                Imagine that.
                I still turned the air ride off until Sunday.
                We have too much running around on Saturday to have the RAS fail.
                I guess we'll truly find out on Sunday.
                Thanks again.

-ryan s.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk
                03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

Welp, that was fun. Out doing some quick shopping at lunch when I happened to look down and notice that the temp gauge was way higher than normal. Almost to the 'H'. I thought I could get it back to base and take a look at it.
                  My radiator had other ideas.
                  It blew apart where the upper hose connects.
                  I took the fan shroud out since I keep a 8mm wrench in the glove box. And there's about a 4" section blown apart.
                  I have a radiator at home. But I just need to get it there.
                  So I'm going to temp fix this one with double bubble epoxy (liquid duct tape), fill it up, and limp it the 21 miles home.
                  Wish me luck.
                  I'm going to need it.

-ryan s.
                  03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

Originally posted by SVT98t View Post
                    Welp, that was fun. Out doing some quick shopping at lunch when I happened to look down and notice that the temp gauge was way higher than normal. Almost to the 'H'. I thought I could get it back to base and take a look at it.
                    My radiator had other ideas.
                    It blew apart where the upper hose connects.
                    I took the fan shroud out since I keep a 8mm wrench in the glove box. And there's about a 4" section blown apart.
                    I have a radiator at home. But I just need to get it there.
                    So I'm going to temp fix this one with double bubble epoxy (liquid duct tape), fill it up, and limp it the 21 miles home.
                    Wish me luck.
                    I'm going to need it.

-ryan s.
                    Bring extra water if you can!

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Would like to see the post mortem on that radiator. Hopefully there's nothing else wrong with the system and just old plastic being disagreeable.

My Cars:
                      -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                      -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                      -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                      -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

This is the bad.

-ryan s.

03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

And my "fix".
                          I just have to make it the 21 miles home.
                          This is aircraft-grade two part epoxy. Really awesome stuff.
                          I also couldn't find that piece next to the neck, so a popsicle stick had to suffice.
                          I'll let you all know if I make it home.

-ryan s.

03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

dang

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            Originally posted by gadget73
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The rad on my truck failed like that. I don't even know when either. I opened it to check the fluid and noticed it was way down. Tried to add and it just poured out of the side. It had a split down the tank to basically the mid point. Plastic got old and shitty, wasn't really anything wrong otherwise.

Comment

Make 21?

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Working...
                                X