No announcement yet.

The 97 CV "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where can one obtain new shift tube bushings?

Edit: nevermind. A quick google search answered my question.
    —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
    1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

^^You can buy them at any parts store...pretty much. Just bring the Dorman number because most catalogs don't list them for our cars for some reason even tho they are the same part from '85+ on most column shifted Fords. They're under $10 for the pair. Not a big deal to replace either other than being in a tight spot. I've replaced them on every one of mine, they always turn to dust by time the cars are old enough for me to buy them. My '97 and '98 all that was left was some shreds of plastic chilling on top of the column.
      -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
      1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
      1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
      1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

All fixed.
        Yeah, I was missing one bolt out of the bracket, and the other one was loose.
        One the plus side, I fixed it, and it shifts into ALL gears now.
        On the minus side, I broke the adjustment bracket for the shift inidicator. Now it doens't indicated which gear it's in. I just have to listen and feel for the clicks in the each gear.
        meh.

-ryan s.
        08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
        03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
        97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
        94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
        73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
        12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
        Originally posted by pantera77
        Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

It pains me to hear that was/is still a problem with the aeros. I broke mine when I attempted the heater core replacement. I found another adjuster bracket assembly in the JY a while back. Just haven't had the motivation to drop the steering column to replace it. :-/

Comment

It started surging at idle randomly. Then the random part turned to constantly. At a stop, the rpm would surge to nearly 2k at times. It sucks when you're decelerating and the car wants to keep acclerating. And it's totaly bad for fuel mileage, which was definitely trending down.
            Anyways, I had a spare one laying around. Swapped that in, no more problems. Mileage still wasn't as good. While filling up, noticed left rear was kinda low. Came home to check, 17 psi. All tires are now at 34-35 psi.
            Started driving slower, and now I'm back on track mileage-wise.
            Need to do an oil change sometime this week. And address the leaking rear brake line.
            But besides that, all good here.

-ryan s.
            03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
            97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--

Comment

What did you swap in!?
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Oh shit.
                lol.
                Idle Air Control Valve.

Changed the oil last night and hada chance to look things over. I need an idler arm; the bushing in the bottom is deteriorating quickly and creating a bit of play in the steering. Probably going to need a new tensioner and belt soon as well.
                But the mileage is back; over 410 miles on this tank so far, which is nice.

-ryan s.
                03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

Ryan,

Just came off a +/- 1000 mile trip in the Escape, indicated 20.4 on the tripminder thingy.
                  What can be done (other than slow down) that will make a noticeable difference?
                  Tires are @ recommended pressure, last tuneup is unknown. ( and I'm not entertaining the idea of doing plugs outside @ this time of year)
                  It has a new K&N filter. 160K on the odo.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Bumping up tire pressure helps. I keep the Tank at 35psi. If I had newer tires, I'd go for 38-40psi.
                    Slowing down is key, along with removing any unneeded weight. Roof racks, mud flaps are terrible for aero. Blocking out the front to force the air to go around it helps as well. If there is a lower grille, covering it partially or completely (depending on need) can work.
                    The biggest improvement can be made by adjusting the nut behind the wheel.
                    Having a real-time guage to get instant feedback is good as well. My vacuum gauge is a great way of seeing fuel consumption. It is possible to maintain the same speed with less throttle.

-ryan s.
                    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

Originally posted by SVT98t View Post
                      Bumping up tire pressure helps. I keep the Tank at 35psi. If I had newer tires, I'd go for 38-40psi.
                      Slowing down is key, along with removing any unneeded weight. Roof racks, mud flaps are terrible for aero. Blocking out the front to force the air to go around it helps as well. If there is a lower grille, covering it partially or completely (depending on need) can work.
                      The biggest improvement can be made by adjusting the nut behind the wheel.
                      Having a real-time guage to get instant feedback is good as well. My vacuum gauge is a great way of seeing fuel consumption. It is possible to maintain the same speed with less throttle.

-ryan s.
                      Thanks Mang, does bumping the pressure up cause the center of the tire to wear prematurly?

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Depends how much you inflate it. Over-inflation will wear the center, under-inflation wears the edges. Proper wears it evenly, but there is a range where you get full contact. The chalk test on the tread will tell you what the min/max is.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Chalk test, got it. I used to use water on flat smooth concrete to check my slicks, Chalk sounds easier...

Comment

Water works too, all the same idea. Not as easy now, the water is either solid or everywhere.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

FWIW, I ran 38psi in my '96 with its 215/70/15 tires, same pressure in my Town Car with its 225/60/16 seemed to wear the shoulders as if they were underinflated. At that time I was putting a ton of miles on it on the freeway and had some fairly sporty all-seasons. Bumped those up to 42psi (max on those was 50) and they wore evenly from there on out. Got my record best Panther fuel economy on those tires with them set at 42psi, managed just under 31mpg. New tires didn't like being aired up so high, so they have been run at 38psi like my '96 and are wearing evenly, 2nd best Panther fuel economy was on those at a hair under 30mpg. So there isn't really an exact science to it and there are a lot of variables, but the recommended pressure from the manufacture is always a compromise between ride quality and tire life/safety based on the tires the car was originally equipped with. Tires have changed a lot since then, and with most of our cars being in the 20+ year old range chances are the original tires can't even be bought anymore.

As far as fuel economy goes, the easiest thing to change is the driver. I suppose if you were going for the best mileage you could possibly get, changing the aerodynamics could come into play, but with a Panther you got a lot going against you in that department. My best fuel economy record actually happened while my front end was smashed up and partly held together with tape, hood was sticking up slightly, etc.. Aerodynamics were not on my side. I've never tried to set any economy records, but if I have to make a longer freeway run I'm going to at least be conscious of how I'm driving and do my best to not drive wastefully. Not flooring it to pass every car that's going slightly slower than you and waiting for a break to pass without having to speed up a lot makes a big difference, even in the city.
                              -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
                              1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
                              1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
                              1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

He's talking about the fuel efficiency in his Escape.
                                But all valid points, nonetheless.

For anyone's reading pleasure. Or if you're bored, lol.

https://ecomodder.com/forum/EM-hyper...ecodriving.php

-ryan s.
                                03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

Working...
                                X