No announcement yet.

The 97 CV "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if you find a place to install struts, let me know. I'm curious how that comes out.

screw bad ball joints though. I've seen multiple neglected panthers with blown lowers on the side of the road. Looks funny, but I imagine it sucks ass if you're driving the car when it happens.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Struts. Shocks. Whatever.

MFS is in. Problem solved.
      Reverse lights are intermittent. Gonna adjust the lever arm.
      Going to fix the right parking brake either tonight or tomorrow.
      Then we're looking good.

-ryan s.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk
      08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
      97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
      94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
      73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
      12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
      Originally posted by pantera77
      Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Parking brake is fixed. Officially. The lever arm where the cable is connected was seized. All good.
        Started adding my LED trunk light while I was waiting on the PB Blaster to do it's thing.
        Next is to flip the car around and adjust that MLPS, and probably get it legalized over the weekend.

-ryan s.
        03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
        97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--

Comment

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Tank is legal!
            I adjusted the MLPS and the reverse lights work.
            So, I was taking it for a test drive Friday evening, and about 30 miles in, the speedometer and all the gauges suddenly stop working.
            Crap.
            I noticed that when I would use the shifter, something didn't feel right. Got home, pulled in back into the garage to have a look. I found that the wires coming from the OD button were chafed through. But they're very small wires (24ga, maybe), and I wasn't quite sure that it was actually grounding out.
            There's only one way to find out.
            I put another 15A fuse in, started the car, and then pressed that wire to the steering column.
            I didn't know that many sparks could come from a wire that small.
            Suffice to say, that was the problem, and after some soldering, everything works again.
            It did develop an exhaust manifold leak on the driver's side. Boo.

Inspection story:
            So it passed, yes, however, the check engine light came on. The service guy said, "Oh by the way, your check engine light came on"
            "But didn't it pass inspection?"
            "Yes. It still did. The light came on just after we ran it and unplugged it. So it still passed"
            "FnA Cotton!"

So, I have that going for me now. Which is pretty rad.

-ryan s.
            03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

Yay!

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Know why the light came on this time?
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Fuel system too lean Bank #2.

Yup.
                  I forgot how fast it feels, traveling low to the ground and hearing all the road noise! zoom zoom!

-ryan s.
                  03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

Right rear went flat yesterday.
                    I walked out to the Tank to go to class. I saw the right rear was a little low. I thought" F it, I can make it to campus and back before I have to put air in it".
                    Wrong.
                    I drove to the shopette on base. It's about a half mile. I get back out to the car, back out of the parking spot and hear/feel the "whoomp-whoomp-whoomp" of the tire totally flat.
                    F.
                    Dammit. I'm gonna be late for class.
                    I get the jack out; doesn't work.
                    I get the lug wrench out; 21mm. All my wheels are 21mm except for the RIGHT REAR TIRE.
                    B.
                    I'm the only one working in my shop that day.

I had to walk the half mile back to my shop, load up the jack, and tools. Drive off the flightline, over to my car. Change the tire and put the stupid donut on. Put the tools back in the truck. Drive back to the shop. Put everything away. Walk the half mile back to the Tank.
                    Yeah.
                    I put 90 miles on a donut that was made in the 33rd week of 1996.

Suffice to say, the HPPs are back on it now.

-ryan s.
                    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

where does one get metric lug nuts? All of my OE Ford ones are 13/16. Non-OE are 3/4, stupid GM size crap. Its 1/2-20 lug studs.

Comment

Well that sure sounds like a Monday. Hopefully it goes up from there.
                        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          where does one get metric lug nuts? All of my OE Ford ones are 13/16. Non-OE are 3/4, stupid GM size crap. Its 1/2-20 lug studs.
                          13/16" and 21mm are one of those coincidence sizes where they are very close to being the same thing. Just like 3/4 and 19mm are so very close to being the same. Or 8mm and 5/16".

1/2-20 thread with a 3/4" hex is far more common than 1/2-20 with a 13/16" hex. GM and Chrysler both used the 3/4" hex, Ford seems to be the only one who uses the 13/16". I ran into that when trying to find replacement lugs for my HPPs, I wanted a 13/16" hex so that the factory lug wrench would fit, but there are so few sets made in that size.
                          -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
                          1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
                          1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
                          1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

which is why my breaker bar with a 3/4 socket has been riding around in the trunk of the Mark VII for years now. The Towncar didn't come with a factory lug wrench, I have one of those 4 way universal things to fit the 3/4 hex. The Continental had 4 odd size lugs replacing the locks. That would have sucked if I'd needed to change a tire, 4 that the lug wrench fits, one that it doesn't. That wrong size one is what the computer lists as correct, but with the correct one as an alternate.

Comment

I put a newer MAF on since it's been chugging fuel. Problem and code seemed to have gone away.
                              First full tank went 320 miles at 17.67 mpg. That's terrible considering it went between 24-25 mpg the first two tanks last year.
                              Second tank, I was a bit more careful with my driving and yielded 366 miles at 20.04 mpg. A bit better, but it should have been much higher.
                              Unfortunately, I changed the MAF halfway through the tank of gas, so it should be better, but next tank will have the definitive answer.
                              Also, I enjoy paying $44 to fill up my car.

-ryan s.
                              03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

Alignment is terrible on this car. I thought it was alright since it was still driving straight.
                                WRONG
                                I just smoked a set of winter tires in 1400 miles. That's why my mileage is shit. This car is toed in and plowing down the road.
                                New upper and lower ball joints arrive Tuesday. I'll have them done by Thursday so I can be aligned. Then the HPPs go on. And get better than 17.67 mpg.
                                Guys at Goodyear said they were getting shitty, and that if they did an alignment, it would be close, but not the best. So, they're 21 years old. Might as well do it, there's no hurt from changing them.
                                F.

-ryan s.
                                03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

Working...
                                X