• Show
Clear All

There you have it.
    567.1 miles on one tank of gas.

-ryan s.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk
    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
    Originally posted by pantera77
    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Increds. I mean, maybe you do have enough available torque to make something from the 2.73's, only one way to find out lol. Have you noticed an increase in vacuum when following behind semi's? When going to FLA one year I trailed a trucker who was doing 70-80mph and it felt as if my right foot wasn't as heavy into the throttle but I only managed about 20 or 21 on that tank of gas. Mythbusters had an episode where they claimed some extraordinary numbers by drafting a truck just a few feet away from the bumper of the trailer..
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I was drafting a truck across Ohio, but I was definitely far enough behind him where he could see me. I would never tailgate a semi. That's just dangerous.
        I didn't notice much because I was just trying to keep it in that sweet spot. And I was going around 60-65 the whole time.
        I just got extended on orders here until the 4th of July, so I doubt I'll be seeing any great mileage on the way home because I'm gonna be going faster than 60 mph to go see my family.
        I think the PI motor will definitely have enough torque to make the 2.73s work.
        After all, my PI-powered 03 Town Car with just Steeda under drive pullies made 215/251. which was still more than John's

-ryan s.
        03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
        97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--

Comment

Apparently an NPI engine with the intake of supidity has enough torque to take advantage of 2.73 gears as my 93 vic would regularly get 26mpg on trips at 70-75mph and AC running max the whole way. A PI engine should do even better if you meter your foot.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

That's pretty damn impressive. So I'm sure you guys have posted what the differences are with the PI motor vs stock but what are they? Different intake? Cam? Heads? How about the crank & pistons? I saw Chris Fix put a PI intake on his Mustang, made a pretty good improvement on available top end power.

Comment

The NPI has has worse flowing heads, intake. That's pretty much the only major difference. The deck height on the NPI shortblock is a few CH lower and the heads have that CH difference which is why putting PI heads on a NPI shortblock raises compression a couple of tenths. The crank/pistons are all pretty much the same AFAIK. Maybe some slight revisions here and there. NFC about the cams though. The NPI loses all power over ~5000 rpm IIRC. PI goes up to 6500 with little issue. (This may be the reason no PI engines came with mechanical fans and why I kept blowing out my fan clutch.) 96+ NPI with the plastic intake did better than the 92-95 with the intake of stupidity. I do know that the 92-95 engines do NOT like ethanol and will bitch (ping) a LOT on mild load at low RPM unless you run mid-grade (89) or better gas. The PI engine doesn't seem to give a damn.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Also, the PI should be more efficient because the the combustion chamber is smaller (52cc - NPI ; 38cc - PI) Requires less fuel. I know the NPI has 19# Injectors. And for some reason, I want to say the PI has 14#? I'm probably way off there, but that's what I think the grey ones I have from the 02 LX Sport are. *Think*
                I do want to get mine tuned soon, just so that it's running properly. But a black car I have seems to have my car money at the moment...
                All the mods I planned to do over the next month I already have. It's just a matter of me doing it.
                And I got paid mileage to drive here. Why not try and push the limits? As it stands, I'll end up pocketing over $450 in mileage payment.

You can put PI cams on a NPI head. That's for those who don't want to do the head swap.

And I concur with everything Sly stated.

-ryan s.
                03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

Thanks for the info, fellas. So a PI is the Police Interceptor motor, right? Whale/aero stuff is Greek to me, die hard box guy trying to learn the ways of others...

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                    Thanks for the info, fellas. So a PI is the Police Interceptor motor, right? Whale/aero stuff is Greek to me, die hard box guy trying to learn the ways of others...
                    PI is Performance Improved versus nPI, which is non-Performance Improved. 1992-2000 4.6Ls in our cars are nPI, and 2001-2011 are PI.

My Cars:
                    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

One of the whale years got 14# in the civi cars and 21#? in the CVPI? Most up to 05...or so, I think got 19#. The later models run the blue tops that are 24#. So pretty much anything will work with the engine, you just have to set the rev limiter to where fuel cut is.

Comment

The early 90s motors were all 19#. When they went to the dead head variable pump speed arrangement in 03 or so the injector sizes started to get weird.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ahh. Were there any differences between cop and civilian engines?

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                            Ahh. Were there any differences between cop and civilian engines?
                            Outside of the use of the larger MAF and zip tube on the ‘03 or ‘04 and up CVPIs, there’s wasn’t any difference. Most of the extra power in the later cars came from a different factory tune in the ECU, that said, it wasn’t much. A 2011 CVPI was rated at 250HP while a dual exhaust civilian model was rated at 239HP. Mostly the police ECU have higher idle speed, different shift points, and a different speed limiter.

My Cars:
                            -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                            -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                            -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                            -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
                              Outside of the use of the larger MAF and zip tube on the ‘03 or ‘04 and up CVPIs, there’s wasn’t any difference. Most of the extra power in the later cars came from a different factory tune in the ECU, that said, it wasn’t much. A 2011 CVPI was rated at 250HP while a dual exhaust civilian model was rated at 239HP. Mostly the police ECU have higher idle speed, different shift points, and a different speed limiter.
                              This. The engines are physically the same.

Comment

The difference is the cop chip.

also I think the police ECM doesn't have PATS.
                                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                                X