PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: The 97 CV "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3)

When I replaced my idler I went with Duralast. Looks like it made by Moog. The price isn't to bad but a bit more then Rockauto.
    1997 Grand Marquis LS HPP

- Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt.Hudson View Post
    When I replaced my idler I went with Duralast. Looks like it made by Moog. The price isn't to bad but a bit more then Rockauto.
    That's what I used when I did the Mad Marquis. Was actually the same price for me at the time.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

sure the bushing from the old one didn't rust weld itself to the center link? I've seen that trick a few times, and its something of a motherfucker to get off.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Vinyl Cheese, Meat Pasty SVT98t's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    sure the bushing from the old one didn't rust weld itself to the center link? I've seen that trick a few times, and its something of a motherfucker to get off.
    Oh.

OH.

Fuck me.

I bet you're right.

Dirty SOBs.

-ryan s.
    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 163k
    03 Mercury Marauder- 58,171 miles
    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 188k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
    Quote Originally Posted by pantera77 View Post
    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    I was just gonna say that... Had that happen on the '98. Oddly the rot box Town Car didn't do that, but the mostly rust free '98? Yeah.. I was wondering WTF was going on till I took a break and then came back to it and noticed there wasn't a sleeve in the bushing on the one I took off, and there was a seam in what appeared to just be the stud on the center link. Took a chisel to that seam and opened it up a bit and the old sleeve popped right off after a few love taps. New one went on with anti-seize on the inside of the sleeve just in case I ever have to do it again.
    -Steve

1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~95k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
    1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel retrofit, all natural weight reduction as the parts fall off..
    1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Yup. The old sleeve was on there. A little heat to spin it around to access to the split line, and pop it open with a chisel. So that's done.
    Also put in new brake lines from the master cylinder to the front and rear distro blocks. All done, bled and test driven.
    Filled up on the way to a family party tonight. I think its like 4 or 5 consecutive tanks over 400 miles. Not too shabby.

-ryan s.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk
    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 188k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--

Good deal. If it makes you feel better, you get better fuel economy than I do with the fuel miser diesel. I usually get right around 25 with that. I'm sure I could adjust my habits to squeeze more, but whatever. That car was built for a 55 national speed limit, at 65-70 its spinning fast enough that it stops being particularly miserly.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Yeah, I barely break 60mph now. I drive off the vacuum gauage now. I try and keep it above 16 inHg, so anywhere from 16-24, the higher the number, the betterer.
    I'm averaging 22-24 mpg per tank right now, not too bad. It's the highway driving that it shines at. Trying to hit 30mpg, then consistantly hit 30mpg. That's the challenge.

-ryan s.

I routinely hit 30mpg, 32-33 hwy at best doing 60-62 or so when I had the '98 GM ex oil company pool car from where my brother used to work. I don't know why, but those '98-'03 just seemed to return the best fuel economy of all the years produced (at least that I've driven). Then I read about people with the later town cars and grand marquis only returning 25mpg at best. Don't know why.
    Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

I also have 3.27s. If I swap down to 2.73s, (which I want to), I'm sure I would be in that same range as well.

-ryan s.

can't do vac gauges on a diesel, but I do have a tripminder that gives instant fuel econ based on the lift sensor in one of the injectors. Its surprisingly accurate too. 3.73 gears in that car too. Something taller would help on the highway but it would completely kill the acceleration from stop, especially in that period before the turbo spools up.

I post a lot...

Small nitrous hit to spool it up?

'10 Escape LTD, V6 AWD. K&N, VentVisors

‘87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars, Dead AOD.....

'91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, 'Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts...

I track my fuel efficiency through EcoModder.com; a forum specifically for hypermiling and getting great efficiency. If anyone is intereseted, here's my log. Lots of good data, which all depends on the integrity of the data. So as long as I keep feeding it actual information, I can reap the benefits.
    Here:

https://www.ecomodder.com/forum/em-f...vehicleid=9857

-ryan s.

The thermostat on the Tank decided to stick closed on the Thursday, essentially the coldest day of the year. I was driving to work, and I usually wait until the temp needle moves before I put the heat on.
    Its started to move, so I turned the heat on.
    Waiting.
    Waiting.
    Its cold.
    Needle is in the middle.
    Ita cold.
    Starts going high on the scale.
    Its cold.
    Engine is almost overheating.
    It's still cold.
    Fuck.

Now its -23° out, and I have to sit in my car and wait for the engine to cool down.
    I made it another mile before I had to pull over again.
    I'm cold, so it's time to get home. Had about 5 miles to go. I fired the car up, ran it up to 70, put it in neutral and cut the engine. Coasted down to 20, fired it back up, ran back up to 70, rinse, repeat.

Anyways, I took the Navigator to the parts store, and got parts, and fixed it in my driveway. That. Sucked.

And then Friday morning, I go to start the Tank.
    Nope.
    I figured I'd jump it with the truck.
    Nope.

2 vehicles, 2 dead batteries.

I quick charged one on my battery charger, and took the other one out for trickle charging.

Anyways, I'm glad its finally above 0 for the first time since Tuesday.

-ryan s.

that doesn't make sense. The heater core is not plumbed after the thermostat. Its a very old trick to turn the heat on when the engine begins to overheat since you're basically adding a small radiator to the cooling system by turning on the blower. Sure it didn't freeze or run low on green juice? Failed water pump that stopped moving coolant would do about the same thing.

I swapped in a new thermostat and it has heat now.
    I'm happy with that, lol.

-ryan s.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

My only theory is that there wasn't much flow to the heater. If the t-stat was stuck full open, this might make sense, but you would think you would get at least a little warm air. Makes me wonder if the blend door was frozen stuck and by the time you fixed it, it had melted free.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein

Doctorate in Redneck Engineering

Shit man I may have some 2.73’s for you if the shop doesn’t throw them out. Curious how the beast would do with fuel economy that way
    2010 Mercury Grand Marquis LS “The Douche” - 70mm throttle body, P71 airbox, 21mm rear sway bay, dual exhaust, Dodge rims, 89K and counting. 4/2018-
    1966 Ford Thunderbird (390FE) “Fordy McFordface” - engine rebuild No. 3. 11/2016-
    RIP 2005 Buick LaCrosse CXS “Jumba” - gone too soon, 229K. 6/2017-2/2018
    RIP 2001 Chevrolet Tracker LT “Featherbrick” - gone too late, 156K POS. 6/2016-9/2016.
    Sold 2005 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - 198K. 6/2016-4/2018

I think he has some... just hasn't put them in yet. At least he turned down a set from me since if he doesn't have any, he can just go to the local yards and pull some.

I might take you up on that Sly.
    Upon further review, mine look like crap.
    That, and I really don't want to go pull gears out of a car, lol.

-ryan s.

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast