PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: The 97 CV "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3)

Vinyl Cheese, Meat Pasty SVT98t's Avatar

Well, I've continued to get a #3 cylinder misfire and my mileage is still crap after the alignment. So looked into it the other night. I did a resistance test on all 8 injectors. The limits are 11-18 ohms. All of them were 15.0-15.2 ohms. No problems. I was really hoping for #3 to be shit. So I replaced it with a spare I had. I did a resistance check on that one too before I installed it and it was all good @ 15.0 ohms.
    I installed it and then went back to the garage to work on my school project.
    The next morning, while I was driving to work, it started misfiring worse. Like, really really bad. Then the CEL starts flashing. I don't have time to deal with it, so I continue driving to work. Then to class. Then to my buddys house after class. I finally looked at it. You know, it really helps when the connector is plugged in. apparently, it came loose while driving. I must have hit one of those gnarly potholes and jarred it loose.
    Now, it runs like a boss.
    Geez.

-ryan s.
    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 159k
    03 Mercury Marauder- 58,171 miles
    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 170k
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
    Quote Originally Posted by pantera77 View Post
    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

yeah... I have several of those connectors zip-tied on because they suck.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

The actual Bosch connectors that were used on the EV-1 injectors are a little more robust. There is a wire bail that holds it all together. The Ford version with the wimpy little side clips that break off kinda suck. Of course the Bosch ones suck if you yank on them and bust the track that the wire sits in.

Ford plastic connectors in general aren't that great. Seems like all of my cars have at least a couple of connectors with busted latches, some held together with zip ties so shit works. One of the pins in the air suspension relay on the Continental doesn't stay so the air suspension randomly fucks off if I don't have the tie on there holding the wiring up.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    The actual Bosch connectors that were used on the EV-1 injectors are a little more robust. There is a wire bail that holds it all together. The Ford version with the wimpy little side clips that break off kinda suck. Of course the Bosch ones suck if you yank on them and bust the track that the wire sits in.

Ford plastic connectors in general aren't that great. Seems like all of my cars have at least a couple of connectors with busted latches, some held together with zip ties so shit works. One of the pins in the air suspension relay on the Continental doesn't stay so the air suspension randomly fucks off if I don't have the tie on there holding the wiring up.
    Almost all of them on mine were broken; a mechanic Permatex'd the connectors together and a few of them had orange goo on the terminals; surprised they fired. I replaced them all with the Bosch plugs.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

They almost always break if you just pull on them. They often break if you carefully lift the tabs. Its 20+ year old plastic, it was never meant to live this long.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

...Its 20+ year old plastic, it was never meant to live this long.
    Humans weren't either, better living through chemistry, science and community where possible. (All items sold separately. Use at your own risk. Not available in all states. Check with your mother before purchase.)
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar

They almost always break if you just pull on them. They often break if you carefully lift the tabs. Its 20+ year old plastic, it was never meant to live this long.
    A wise man once said "Be generous with the duct tape, you know; spare the duct tape, spoil the job."

Now it's time to fight the next batch of codes:
    P0420 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)
    P0455 - EVAP System Leak (No Purge Flow or Large Leak) Conditions

Let the fun begin.
    I also broke 170k.

-ryan s.

I ran it across the scales and it turns out that the title lied about the weight.
    Title said: 3617
    Actually: 3660
    That's with about 2 gallons of gas in it, and me not in it.
    That's 3660 with the block swap and the other stuff I've removed/replaced.
    I guess my quest for 3500# just became more difficult....

-ryan s.

Fastest Box In South Jersey 86VickyLX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SVT98t View Post
    Now it's time to fight the next batch of codes:
    P0420 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)
    P0455 - EVAP System Leak (No Purge Flow or Large Leak) Conditions

Let the fun begin.
    I also broke 170k.

-ryan s.
    2 spark plug non foulers threaded into the downstream o2 sensor on the passenger side exhaust. And fill up your tank so the ecm never runs the EVAP monitor.
    "Vicky" 1986 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX ..................................."Blue" 1992 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

Vicky
    Too much stuff to list in my signature...
    Blue
    Mods So Far:
    5.0 HO Swap from 92 Cougar, GT40 Intakes With Remanufactured GT40P Heads, Contour Cooling Fans, Autodimming Mirror With Compass, Frankensteined but fully functional JBL Premium Sound System, Working A/C, Big Front Brake Swap, more mods to come soon!

Meh.

Did the initial oil change on it. I should have done it sooner. But it doesn't look too bad. A little bit of shiny, but everything should be about done working itself in.
    I also changed the fuel filter. I thought I had done it last year when I put it on the road, but as it turns out, I did not. After further inspection, I think it may be, uh......original. I had a difficult time trying to get the lines off. This should not be a 45 minute job. Anyways, one of the plastic cups and O-rings came off stuck on the filter. It's supposed to be in the end of the fuel line. So I had some fun trying to get it off the filter, and then back into the line on the car.
    But, it is done, and more importantly, not leaking.
    I'm gonna try and install my Tank horns on it this week. That would make me feel better about it. I'll do a before and after video, because the stock horn is absolutely pathetic.

-ryan s.

I post a lot...

Tank horns???

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars, Dead AOD.....
    '91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, 'Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts...

The original horns from TOJ I and TOJ II. Together. They're loud and obnoxious.
    I just keep adding them.

-ryan s.

beep beep motherf....

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Threw some Wagner ThermoQuiet ceramic brake pads on the front since they were almost worn out.
    Car stops like a boss now. No ABS makes it even more fun. I can't get the tires to squeal; it just stops fast. I like.
    I also took the jack out of the trunk, along with the spare tire cover. Ended up removing 9.2 lbs of weight from the car, theoretically, putting it at 3651 lbs.

-ryan s.

Fastest Box In South Jersey 86VickyLX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SVT98t View Post
    Threw some Wagner ThermoQuiet ceramic brake pads on the front since they were almost worn out.
    Car stops like a boss now. No ABS makes it even more fun. I can't get the tires to squeal; it just stops fast. I like.
    I also took the jack out of the trunk, along with the spare tire cover. Ended up removing 9.2 lbs of weight from the car, theoretically, putting it at 3651 lbs.

-ryan s.
    Thermoquiets ftw. I put them on my 98. No fuss, just stops. I've never actually gotten the abs to kick in.
    "Vicky" 1986 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX ..................................."Blue" 1992 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

Vicky
    Too much stuff to list in my signature...
    Blue
    Mods So Far:
    5.0 HO Swap from 92 Cougar, GT40 Intakes With Remanufactured GT40P Heads, Contour Cooling Fans, Autodimming Mirror With Compass, Frankensteined but fully functional JBL Premium Sound System, Working A/C, Big Front Brake Swap, more mods to come soon!

So you guys have noticed a difference between those and regular old semi metallic? Is it just the thermoquiets or you think its ceramic in general?

Yes.
    I originally had a pair in TOJ2, and I thought it was going to flip over when I stabbed the brakes. I'm sure I probably got the front end to hit the ground braking during one ScottFest.
    That, and I got 75,000 miles out of them, and they still had 1/4 or so pad left.
    Ceramics are worth it.

-ryan s.

I post a lot...

I like Centric Extended Wear pads. They offer less grabiness, a relatively flat response curve when cold or hot and extended wear.
    "X" car 89 Colony Park LS Mods>Engine delete, SS duals magnaflow hflow cats, 2010 Must GT mufflers, auto air shocks, Posi, Tran cooler, big front brakes, 03+ rear disks, Large 3g alt, Tripminder, GS grill, 86 seats, 16" HPP wheels, winter boots=96 Cartier wheels, 215-65/16 Goodyear ULTRA GW3 snows, pi rear sway, alum driveshaft.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer, Silver Stars, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector.
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated Cooper Zeon RS3-A, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17

Hmm. I think I put the Wagner ones on the truck. I prefer ceramic due to the low dust but good to know they last a while and bite better. Brakes in the truck were shot when I did them so anything was better than they were.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast