No announcement yet.

CFI Misfires/drivability issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I mostly don't mind it but intermittant problems drive me nuts. The way Ford did their ECM harnesses for power feeds is something of a mess. If you dig into them, you'll find random spots where a ball of tape covers a big crimp-twist splice thing. No weatherproofing at all. Wouldn't half surprise me if one or more of those is full of green cheese and causing the issue. Its just maddening having to dissect those things in such a deep level to repair one. It may not be quite so bad on the CFI cars since there are less injectors, but the multiport injector harness is not exactly a work of art if you dig in deep enough.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It's beautifully simple, in a way.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161201_210212 - Copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	1281024

(that's the whole thing, minus the extension that goes to the coil, alternator, then back to the starter relay with the charge wire)

Current driver: wagon
      Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
      | 88 TC | 91 GM
      Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
      Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
      | Junkyards

Comment

Its simple, but I am no fan of the splice method used. Its nice that its self-contained.
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Hey now, I voted to keep CFI
          If I still had my '85 it would be rocking it's original set-up.
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Honestly not wanting to spend the time to convert a car is why I have little interest in the pre-86 vehicles. I can't leave things stock and sucky.

Comment

I don't like having to run new speaker wires to undo that common ground crap, that's why I stay away from them. I'm glad to have SEFI but didn't think CFI was terrible. I did not like the choke-pull off garbage. The 3.8's had CFI with a IAC, why couldn't Ford do that with the 5.0? Stupidity...

Comment

Its the lack of balls and excessive bitchiness that puts me off of them. I guess I'm more into "male" cars in that regard. Stereo systems I can fix, re-wiring one is a lot less involved than making the CFI run right and reliable. If you've ever done a timing chain on one vs running some speaker wires, you'll know what I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  Its the lack of balls and excessive bitchiness that puts me off of them. I guess I'm more into "male" cars in that regard. Stereo systems I can fix, re-wiring one is a lot less involved than making the CFI run right and reliable. If you've ever done a timing chain on one vs running some speaker wires, you'll know what I mean.
                  Dunno what's wrong with my '91 (suspected cat restrictions for a while, actually), but the CFI Townie is way more ballsy at all throttle points. From a stop, rolling starts, any gear it pulls like a freight train and the power curve 'feels' smoother where the 91 just falls on its face if it isn't inside a very specific RPM range.

Current driver: wagon
                  Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                  | 88 TC | 91 GM
                  Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                  Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                  | Junkyards

Comment

something definitely wrong there.

Comment

Compared to my '85, the SEFI '88 I've got is more responsive, even off the line. CFI would get a tire to bark if the conditions were right but the SEFI car definitely has more throttle response.

I'd rather do the timing chain than risk busting interior pieces or components you can't get short of having a 3D printer. Getting more wires through those rubber tubes in the doors is PITA, not to mention trying to run them up through the dash and secure them so they don't rattle/squeak ECT. Also what I hate about the older stuff is multiple belts, messy vacuum lines and like you said, lower out put, flat tappet cam and shit like nylon timing gears.

Comment

same belt setup from 1980 onward. Only 1979 had an extra belt.

Comment

Right, but what about vehicles from the ..gasp.. darkside?

Comment

I've sort of given up caring about vehicles that have retarded belt drive systems. Late 70s GM stuff with all the options, 14 belts and 4297 bracket components to hold it all together can just go to hell.

Comment

Haha exactly. What a mess...

Comment

Originally posted by blkpnthr View Post
                                Dunno what's wrong with my '91 (suspected cat restrictions for a while, actually), but the CFI Townie is way more ballsy at all throttle points. From a stop, rolling starts, any gear it pulls like a freight train and the power curve 'feels' smoother where the 91 just falls on its face if it isn't inside a very specific RPM range.
                                Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                                something definitely wrong there.
                                Yes, something is definitely wrong there. My '85 TC runs perfectly, and the '91 MGM I recently owned (sold it instead of putting it on the road) which hadn't had any work done to it in at least 10 years would blow the '85's doors off. It was night and day.
                                RyPow
                                1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX sedan - The "Sand Box" - 73K, towing package
                                1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX Tutone Tudor - '96 Explorer 5.0 + 5spd swap in the works
                                1985 Lincoln Town Car Cartier - previously owned by "navguy12" from thelincolnforum.net
                                2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited, 102k, daily driver
                                2006 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, 115k, winter beats
                                1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car, 42k
                                2012 F-150 5.0L 4x4, HD payload pkg (towing/hauling)
                                2015 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD (better half's)

Comment

Working...
                                X