1995 Town Car questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1995 Town Car questions

I might be trading for a 1995 Town Car shortly and I have a few questions. This would be my first, as although I have owned 13 Panthers over the years they have all been Crown Victorias or Grand Marquis cars.

Any potential problems mounting a set of 2000 Grand Marquis 16" wheels and tires on the car? The tires are P225/60/16 and they are all brand new. I believe that the 1995 Lincolns still had 15"....P215/70/15 I think it was ?

Any potential problems swapping in a set of cloth seats from a 2000 Grand Marquis? The fronts are power in both cases and I believe both have the controls on the doors.

A previous owner elevated the air suspension in the back somewhat, evidently to haul a small boat for fishing. If we were to load down the trunk fairly heavily would that elevated suspension actually act to our benefit to where the car wouldn't ride too low with the added weight, or would the weight do the suspension any harm? Not bodies ....we are moving to the west coast in March or April and it would be a lot of luggage, gear, and general belongings. I am accustomed to regular springs....never had an air suspension. It's evidently in good condition though.

Did these cars still come with a drain plug in the torque converter? I had a 1995 F150 and that did not. I am still scratching my head over when Ford stopped that, because I have read a lot of conflicting info.

Anything generally problematic to look out for in these cars? It has 145k miles. I will be giving the front suspension components a good look, although I suspect they may have already been replaced. One good thing is that being a 1995, there is no plastic intake manifold to be concerned about.

Thanks for any info.
    David
    1989 LTD Crown Victoria LX
    14 previous Panthers, gone but not forgotten....

The wheels will bolt right on, no problem!
    The seats should bolt right in, also no problem!

Comment

it will burn oil, and probably have a clogged EGR passage.
      2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

If it has the original type air spring system you may want to reset the height to normal. The virtue of the automatic system is that it will maintain whatever height it it set to, regardless of load. The added height in the rear will actually work against you in handling. The vehicle was optimized to run level.

Like anything, the system could be overloaded, don't know what overloaded is as I never got there. They have always handled a loaded trunk with no problem. Not to mention that a car with a big load in the rear will have impaired handling characteristics so you need to take that into consideration. The added height would add to the impairment.
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

If the towny has door controls for the seats, you'll have to play find the wire under the seat to get things working. If the towny doesn't have seat controls on the doors, you'll have to swap the seat tracks and figure a way to mount the seat controls on the side of the 2000 seats.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Many thanks for the info. Saw it in person today. Does indeed have the seat controls on the door.

It's a very early 95, built in August of 94.

In negotiations. We'll see what happens.

Love that 'Berry Metallic' paint....color most likely inspired by the French Mulberry.
            Attached Files
            David

Comment

Has it been winter driven? Does Ohio get much snow?
              '79 Continental Town Car
              '90 Crown Victoria LTD
              '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

It's a moot point now....couldn't reach an agreement.

The good news is that it looks strongly like I will be trading for a black 2000 P71.

The Cincinnati region doesn't seem to get a whole lot of snow. We had about 3 significant snowfalls in the 2015-2016 Winter season.
                David

Comment

Working...
                X