Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Porting a Stock Intake Plenum (with pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Porting a Stock Intake Plenum (with pics)

My intake mods on my 2000 MGM so far have been replacing the stupid restrictive trumpet on the air filter box with a large tube, and swapping the stock 65mm throttle body with a 70mm throttle body. Swapping my NPI intake manifold with a PI intake manifold and using a ported and polished intake plenum is on my "to do" list.

I picked up a stock plenum at a U-pull for about CDN$10 so I could work on it over the winter. I ended up starting to port the plenum with hand files recently due to a sleepless night.

My first step was to use a small round file to cut a groove into the middle of the bend, since that seemed to be the one spot that would dictate how everything else would end up. After the groove was cut, I used a big file with a rounded back to expand the groove. I briefly started one side before getting on with my day. After that, it seemed like a good idea to take pics. The first four pics below show my first night's progress.

Since my mind was too flakey to get any meaningful work done tonight, I worked on the sides, still using the rounded-back file. There is a heck of a lot of material there. The last four pics below show my second-round progress. I'll probably post more pics whenever I'm finally finished.
    Attached Files

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
    mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM
Working...
X