Low idle blinkers flash extremely slow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low idle blinkers flash extremely slow

Hey all. Recently my grand marq starting doing little things like the Windows rolling up slower than usual and blinkers flashing slow (once every 3 seconds) and additionally low voltage sounding starts. I replaced my battery (after it tested 58% current capacity held). The new battery fixed the weird starts (for a day or two) and now I'm back where i started. Everything above is happening in addition to an extremely low idle and none of my idiot lights come on anymore when i turn it to acc (only 2 or 3 max would ever come on anyway but now its none) so someone plz tell me its just a dirty engine ground or something simple. Performance (becides idle) not affected. Garages appear dimmer

Check your alternator plugs to see if they look melted at all. Next would be having the alternator itself tested at a local auto parts store. Most will do it free of charge.

Comment

Sweet i can take a look at it tomorrow. Plus taking the alternator off is pretty easy

Comment

Your alternator sucks. Its "normal". If there aren't any obvious faults with it, the usual fix is a 3g alternator swap.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well i mean it was way more normal than this about a week ago. Nothing that i listed was happening a week ago...surely this cant be normal with the alternator if it didnt always have these isssues?

Comment

Could just be the flasher getting old. I've grabbed several 323 and 325 flashers from Boxes and early Aeros back when I was using a stand alone flasher for my turn signals when I did LEDs before a load resistor was put in and I wired the flasher in the LCM back up.

Some of those flashers clacked along fine, and some of those things dragggggged. I don't know why I started grabbing as many as I did, but I did. I'll occasionally hand them off to anyone who needs a spare or a replacement.
            Last edited by Kodachrome Wolf; 12-05-2016, 01:13 AM.

My Cars:
            -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
            -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
            -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
            -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

You may have a parasictic draw or like the fellas a bad Alternator or you may have a faulty ground.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                Your alternator sucks. Its "normal". If there aren't any obvious faults with it, the usual fix is a 3g alternator swap.
                This. LoL.
                After my swap none of my stuff is weird no matter how many things are turned on.
                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I had slow blinkers for about a week before my alternator(3g) melted the plug, replaced with a reman and it's been good since.
                  1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
                    Could just be the flasher getting old. I've grabbed several 323 and 325 flashers from Boxes and early Aeros back when I was using a stand alone flasher for my turn signals when I did LEDs before a load resistor was put in and I wired the flasher in the LCM back up.

Some of those flashers clacked along fine, and some of those things dragggggged. I don't know why I started grabbing as many as I did, but I did. I'll occasionally hand them off to anyone who needs a spare or a replacement.
                    You might be able to find the same flashers in other early Ford/Lincoln/Mercury cars. I'm going to start looking around for them next time I'm at the yard.

Call me crazy, but the main reason I wanted an original flasher for my car was only because I wanted it to sound like I remember. I just can't get used to modern cars with their electronically-generated flasher sounds.
                    —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
                    1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
                    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
                    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Don't discount the Tridon HD12. (The "electronic" one, transparent case with a capacitor in it). Most of them will drive a single lamp without issue.

Hook up a voltmeter and observe your voltage, it is probably dipping down to bat voltage when you are experiencing the weirdness as the car starts drawing on the battery under these conditions. Just make sure at night, you turn off everything and let the car run a few extra seconds to give the battery a bit of a charge.

Comment

Originally posted by Giraffe View Post
                        You might be able to find the same flashers in other early Ford/Lincoln/Mercury cars. I'm going to start looking around for them next time I'm at the yard.

Call me crazy, but the main reason I wanted an original flasher for my car was only because I wanted it to sound like I remember. I just can't get used to modern cars with their electronically-generated flasher sounds.
                        This is why I still have the original flasher & several spares in the garage. I like that old sound. I've got solid state ones that while they work and are more consistent, they just don't sound like I remember.
                        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Today before work it was too low to start. Battery was dead. But I'm gonna jump it and bring it to where i work (dealership) to do a load test on the system when i go to lunch. Thanks yall

Comment

Alternator tested bad so we found our culprit. Thanks yall

Comment

Originally posted by Giraffe View Post

Crazy! Lol

Comment

Working...
                              X