Looking for Input about Tire Safety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for Input about Tire Safety

I experienced a fairly deep tire puncture, but apparently not deep enough to cause deflation. Somewhere around 3/8 mile from home while driving relatively slow, I heard a periodic thumping sound and ultimately found something sticking out of a tire. Despite having continued home, the culprit remained at least 1/8" out from the tread surface. I used a long pair of curved needlenose pliers to pry it out, and it ended up being the pointy end of a broken 1/8" screw. (What I should have done is check for a thread and then try to unscrew it to avoid further damaging the rubber.) The pointy end would have been as deep as about 9/16" from the tread surface, which is itself ~5/32". Thankfully, the tire has not lost any pressure, and I've even been on the highway with it.

At this point, I'm concerned about pushing my luck. At a minimum, it seems one concern is exposing the steel to moisture and inviting corrosion. Something I've thought about trying is working some rubber cement into the hole, but I doubt that would do a whole lot. Does the situation require anything more than constant monitoring?

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
    mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

I'd just pay attention to the tire. If it starts leaking... patch it and go on about my day.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I'd buy a new tire and carry on my day. Once you get in that deep you risk breaking the belts and cords. Once that happens the tire gets lumpy and its done for. If money is tight and you have a real spare tire, put that on and use the punctured one as a spare until you can replace it.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ironically, I had recently gotten a mini-spare to reduce weight, and the full-size spare has been sitting in my kitchen until I do some organizing. It's on a steel rim, so it would stick out like a sore thumb, and I don't really want to add a single new one. My father got them at Costco, so I'll talk to them about preventative patching. That wouldn't address the external damage, but meh. The point on the screw was long and thin, and even that was prevented from penetrating all the way. I would guess the damage can't be any worse than ones that get plugged, so I think I'll gamble. I'll just put the full-size spare in the trunk when going on long highway trips.

I actually missed out on two opportunities to get good tires on HPP rims for $300 in recent years. Back when I recharged my A/C, some guy who was driving by said he had the same rims as mine with new tires and asked if I was interested. As always, it would have been a matter of going deeper into debt, so I said "Probably not, unless you're practically giving them away". He said $300, but I was thinking more like $200, and I didn't bother with a counter-offer. In recent weeks, someone had a set of slightly older HPP wheels with good tires listed on Kijiji. (Those ones might have even been $275). I was tempted for many days, and then the ad was gone when I was about to inquire about them. Since mine were around 5/32" when I got a tread depth gauge last year, mine could still last for a good many years, though I'll be more inclined to pursue deals like those now.
        Last edited by IPreferDIY; 12-08-2016, 09:01 PM.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
        mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Originally posted by IPreferDIY View Post
          My father got them at Costco, so I'll talk to them about preventative patching. That wouldn't address the external damage, but meh.
          Does patching an actual thru-hole address the external damage tho? Honest question, as I never thought about that till you mentioned it.
          The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
          The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

As I understand it, there are plug kits you can get for emergency/temporary purposes (I keep one in my trunk), whereas the "right" way to address a repairable thru-hole (short of replacing the tire) is to have it both plugged and patched. I have no idea if the plugging has any benefit for the inherent weakness resulting from the belts having been pierced. I wouldn't think so, and that's why I'm figuring not having a thru-hole with a patch can't be any worse than having a plug with a patch.

Comment

After I replaced the front suspension components on the 96 Grand Marquis in July of 2015 I took the car to Midas for an alignment. All good, I take the car home. I get up in the morning and go outside and one of the rear tires is flat. Come to find a screw in it, most likely from the Midas parking lot or repair bay. In the process of taking the wheel and tire off to put on the spare, one of the studs snapped. Walked over to Advance Auto for a new stud and a patch kit. (Glad they are close. It's 1.5 miles one way and I have carried a dead battery there and back a couple of times. We also have AutoZone and Pep Boys about the same distance away in two other directions.) Anyhow, I replaced the stud and patched (plugged) the tire and it went very well. No problems with that tire anytime since and we just got rid of the car a few weeks ago because of an electrical short somewhere that refused to be tracked down.

Those patching (plugging) kits are very good. We are moving to the west coast in March or April and I plan to take along the patch kit, a can of fix-a-flat, and the old reliable bicycle pump but probably no spare tire to take up space in the trunk.
              David
              1989 LTD Crown Victoria LX
              14 previous Panthers, gone but not forgotten....

Comment

Originally posted by fordnmerc View Post
                ... Those patching (plugging) kits are very good. ...
                I'm no expert, but from what I've read, "patching" involves taking the tire off and putting an actual patch on the inside. So, technically, the plug kits wouldn't be called patch kits. For peace of mind, I'd definitely want to supplement a plug with a patch. It looks like Costco might do flat repairs for free for members who got their tires there, and they only charge $10.99 for members who didn't, so that's no big deal.

Comment

Put it on the rear and do a nice, smoky burnout. That should melt the rubber sufficiently to plug any superficial hole left by a screw. Or you could stab a plug in it and most likely be fine.

Comment

I guess it comes down to whatever an individual is most comfortable with. I always subscribed to the idea that a tire's best, most cohesive seal to the rim is the first time and each removal and reapplication of the tire to the rim lessens that cohesion to a degree. I also prefer to plug a hole and fill it up rather than just covering it over.
                    David
                    1989 LTD Crown Victoria LX
                    14 previous Panthers, gone but not forgotten....

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
                      Put it on the rear and do a nice, smoky burnout. That should melt the rubber sufficiently to plug any superficial hole left by a screw. Or you could stab a plug in it and most likely be fine.
                      Hehe, my first thought when I saw "burnout" was that it was Bobcat. I drive kind of like a grandpa on steroids, so no burnouts for me. I wonder if they'd be willing to do a patch on the inside along with forcing a piece of plug into the hole to try to seal it from the outside without having to poke through.

Originally posted by fordnmerc View Post
                      I guess it comes down to whatever an individual is most comfortable with. I always subscribed to the idea that a tire's best, most cohesive seal to the rim is the first time and each removal and reapplication of the tire to the rim lessens that cohesion to a degree. I also prefer to plug a hole and fill it up rather than just covering it over.
                      That's an interesting point about the rim seal. I'll have to look into that. On the bright side, they use nitrogen at Costco, so that should lessen leaks.

Comment

Depending on what condition the other tires are I might just replace all four. I've never been a fan or "replace two". I like my tires to match and wear evenly so four new tires & frequent rotations for me. Although I've had two tires patched/plugged. Was fine for years up until I sold it. Other one was patched some 12 years ago and never leaks, that's on my Firebird and it has withstood multiple burnouts and two extended doughnut sessions
                        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

It's on a steel rim, so it would stick out like a sore thumb,
                          It is winter in Canada, nobody is going to notice. More likely just think you are too cheap to buy 4 snow tires. =-)

and I don't really want to add a single new one. My father got them at Costco, so I'll talk to them about preventative patching. That wouldn't address the external damage, but meh. The point on the screw was long and thin, and even that was prevented from penetrating all the way. I would guess the damage can't be any worse than ones that get plugged, so I think I'll gamble. I'll just put the full-size spare in the trunk when going on long highway trips.
                          If you really want it repaired, just find a drywall screw and screw it into the hole all the way and drive to costco.

As I understand it, there are plug kits you can get for emergency/temporary purposes (I keep one in my trunk), whereas the "right" way to address a repairable thru-hole (short of replacing the tire) is to have it both plugged and patched. I have no idea if the plugging has any benefit for the inherent weakness resulting from the belts having been pierced. I wouldn't think so, and that's why I'm figuring not having a thru-hole with a patch can't be any worse than having a plug with a patch.
                          Plug & patch is a plug-patch (see attachment). It is one piece plug with a tail that gets pulled through the puncture. If you are going to the trouble of getting a tire repaired at a shop this is the only way to do it as it'll patch the inside, and it will seal the puncture from the elements.

Plugs are not something you need to be scared of. Just use good ones. Rubber ones that require the use of tire cement. (vs the excessively sticky no glue required plugs). And since you mention you have a plug kit in the car, you better have an air compressor to because ain't no way you will ream the hole and plug it if the tire is actually flat. And you'll need to air up after to make up for the air that escapes. I have plugged many of my own tires, none have given me trouble.

Alex.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Well, part of this thread became moot. Punctured early Wednesday, just noticeable deflation on Saturday, and getting close to completely deflated today. (I wonder if using a piece of 4x4 as a wheel chock aggravated it.) Pumped it up and went to my appointment at Costco (though they still took an hour to get to it). They say it's too close to the sidewall, and "the manager says" I need new tires since they're from 2004 and worn out (despite being 3/32" above the absolute minimum of 2/32"). I was pretty sure the screw was just inside the okay zone when I pulled it (i.e. not in the first row of tread the forms part of the corner), so I'll definitely be checking (and raising hell if they're feeding me crap).

Considering how close it must be to the okay zone (assuming they're right), I don't see why I shouldn't try my plug kit. Does anyone think that's a bad idea? It came with a tube of rubber cement, so I'd slather a bunch on.

I actually have one of those small compressors that you plug into the lighter or power port. I also have an up-and-down hand pump that you stabilize with your foot, as well as a regular hand-held pump, so I'm figuring I'll keep the up-and-down one in the car as a backup.

Comment

I'd put four new tires on it at this point. If the Firebird got another nail that would force my hand. Since I hardly put any miles on it during season I haven't put new ones on it, plus I keep thinking I'm going to get new factory wheels or have my old ones refinished. No way I'd piss with 12 year old tires.
                              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
                              X