Best way to remove window tint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to remove window tint

My 85 Crown Vic 2 door has tinted windows. the tint is crap and I want to get rid of it. Especially on the door windows. Anyone have any suggestions on what to use. Something that won't damage the glass. I don't want to have to replace any windows.

Tim
    2000 Ford Crown Victoria
    84 Lincoln Town car signature, R.I.P
    85 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2 door performance project
    89 Lincoln town car: RIP
    89 Crown Victoria LX 2002 USACi sound quality world champion RIP
    1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
    1994 Mercury Grand Marquis (sold)
    2004 Mercury Marauder. owned for a week then got screwed by the dealer

Use a heat gun and SHARP, NEW razors to slowly scrap the tint off. If you use new sharp razors the glass will be unharmed. The glue residue may be left behind, and you can use goo-gone, and a razor to clean it all off, depending on how much is left. In some cases if the tint is really bad it will just peel off in sheets, leaving the glue behind.
    Last edited by Brown_Muscle; 12-09-2016, 06:17 PM.
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

There are several ways to get that stuff off. And you can find all of them, in detail on You Tube.
      Just pick your favorite, it's not hard!

Comment

I bought a cheapo steam machine, like you use for clothing, and used it.

Once I was done, I used it (and continue to) for my clothes!!
        1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
        Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Marquis GT View Post
          I bought a cheapo steam machine, like you use for clothing, and used it.

Once I was done, I used it (and continue to) for my clothes!!
          Best way to get wrinkles out of your blues! Which we never wear.
          —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
          1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
          1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
          1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

I just did the same to my TC. The old tint was purple/blue looking, and blurry. I did use a hair blow dryer for some of it, and it helped a little. Mainly just lots of razors, and Windex. I think it's the ammonia in Windex that helps to dissolve the glue. (I tried pure ammonia, but even with a mask on and the doors open it was harsh) Be prepared to spend some time on it.

-1994 Lincoln Town Car...always under construction

Comment

For stickie crap I've used wheel and tire cleaner, Wesley's Bleach White. It worked great for getting the stickers and the crap left behind off. It didn't seem to have any ill affects on the glass but I did make sure to use it a little at a time, move quick, and rinse it off with water after.
              Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
              ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
              ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

sTEAM CLEANER WORKS THE BEST ESPECIALLY ON REAR WINDOW WITH DEFROSTER.
                Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Krud Kutter for adhesive is even more effective than regular Goo-Gone. I use it for removing the adhesive residue left behind when removing bodyside moldings. Works great and doesn't damage the paint. Great for glass too.
                  David
                  1989 LTD Crown Victoria LX
                  14 previous Panthers, gone but not forgotten....

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
                    sTEAM CLEANER WORKS THE BEST ESPECIALLY ON REAR WINDOW WITH DEFROSTER.
                    ^^ what he said... steam. I had bought a cheap wand steamer... the kind to get wrinkles out of clothes... got it at a walgreens or duane reed pharmacy for around $20 .
                    http://www.pantherbb.com/Thread-Tint...t=tint+removal

Comment

I also prefer using steamer than those sharp blades/razors. To remove the adhesive residue, I use Windex with ammonia.

Comment

Working...
                      X