Firewall Insulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firewall Insulation

If any of you replaced the insulation on the firewall; what did you use? I am giving some thought to replacing mine because it's accessible without the engine/trans in the way. And the critters chewed through most of it through the years :-/

Well, I haven't replaced the firewall insulation on mine, but what about using metal-backed foam insulation?

Comment

My '89 has that insulation on the firewall, but I don't believe either of my '91s have it. Makes me wonder if they did away with it on the later models?
      I know when I had the carpet out of The Ice Car there was some insulation on the floor above the cats but don't remember if there was any going up the front of the firewall from the floor. I also don't know if the older models had that, and if not, I suppose the interior insulation could be the replacement for the exterior insulation. If your's doesn't have interior insulation under the carpet and padding it might be an option for you to add some and do away with the exterior stuff. (If you're still looking for a solution.)
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I think its foil faced fiberglass. Foam would be likely to melt. I bet if you poke around on google someone has a product designed exactly for that purpose.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Based on itchy arms when working next the stuff, I would have to agree that it is fiberglass insulation and iirc it is foil faced.
          Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
          ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
          ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Yeah, it's fiberglass. It covers most of the firewall and some of the trans tunnel. I found some insulation by Mr Gasket and DEI. I will try that after I remove the old stuff, clean, and paint the metal behind it. Looks like it's held in by a flat bracket that I have to unscrew from the interior.

Comment

Working...
            X