Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Audio upgrade without touching the factory head and wiring.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The dash speakers are 5 inch (5.25" speakers do NOT fit). You can get 4 inch speakers and adapter plates (I got the adapters from Crutchfield) to fit the mounts.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

part number for the dash speakers adapter: Metra 82-5500 (Crutchfield no longer carries them... jerks)
      http://www.installer.com/item/displa...php?it=82-5500

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

I'm using 3/12 or 4" speakers with those adapters. Can't remember which without looking, but probably 4" if thats what the adapters fit.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
          Factory JBL stuff (when actually working and with speakers that haven't disintegrated) actually sounds pretty damn decent for 30 year old car audio. Beats the hell out of an ugly aftermarket headunit any day.
          This. Didn't read the rest of post but provided you can find JBL dash speakers that aren't roached and a JBL amp which hasn't pooped it's pants, you're all set.
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Audio upgrade without touching the factory head and wiring.

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
            This. Didn't read the rest of post but provided you can find JBL dash speakers that aren't roached and a JBL amp which hasn't pooped it's pants, you're all set.
            A vintage looking deck would be ideal, but I am also after Bluetooth. I guess there are now BT tape deck adapters that look like a cassette; but you either have to keep them charged or run a power cable to them. Wonder how hard it would be to just wire in a BT adapter on the output side of the tape player and if there was enough room internally to stash the adapter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            sigpic

Comment

I had the factory deck + JBL stuff for a minute. I thought it sounded good until I dropped my Sony deck in, blew factory stuff away. I like the factory look myself but Sony was a decent compromise as at least it wasn't gawdy and I could change the color so that it lights up green when the lights are on and white when they're not. Tucks in nicely where the old radio was. Only thing I hate is the volume knob as it has ugly illuminated ring. But that aside it plays my ipod, does Bluetooth, 5V preouts and has HD radio. Was only 180 bucks or so too. Was not that loud when using preouts from deck to JBL amp, actually it was milder than the factory stereo was with the JBL amp. Caused me to just replace the entire factory JBL amp with an aftermarket JBL amp so now I've got a sub & junk. Freakin' awesome. Anyway, if you just used an aftermarket deck & sent line level inputs to the JBL amp it will work just fine. If you over drive the amp you'll know as it will either cut out or blow the fuse. Tis ok, Ashley has been rockin' her TC's radio that way for nearly 3 years.

Comment

If you have one of the factory tape deck head units that could pair with the CD changer, you can fit a line-in fairly easily. It needs a small amount of wiring magic and a stereo phono jack that will close the circuit when you unplug the cord from it but thats no big deal.

My Mark VII has an aftermarket stereo with the RCA to JBL connector in there. Fairly poorly made, but once you finally get the damn thing to plug together it works fine. Unfortunately the factory CD player died too many times to be fixed anymore. The Sony in there is an ugly POS, but it was free and i was able to make it work with a line in for under $20. I have a 90s era factory tape deck to eventually go in there, but it seems to need a little bit of adaptation to make it go. Not sure why, but I think it has something to do with the remote amp power wire not being the right voltage, or perhaps its on the wrong pin. The radio works, the amp works, the radio just won't turn the amp on. Haven't investigated further.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Put some tweeters in the dash and run them off a seperate amp. Helps bring the sound up off the floor some. I mounted tweeters on the A-pillars of my '90 in 2008. Love them.
                  1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

I don't have the door speakers now so I don't want to cut the panels, otherwise a set of simple highs would be a really good option. Going to have to dig around for some shallow mount 4s and looks like I will just build me some adapter rings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    sigpic

Comment

You can find door panels that have the grilles, might not even need to run the speaker wire for them.

Gadget, I think all of the Lincoln tape decks 88+ are compatible with the standalone CD player. When I pulled mine out (it wasn't a factory JBL car) it had the plug going in for the speaker outputs and then an empty slot where the CD player would plug into. I didn't know that was where the CD player went until I tore into a Town Car that had the CD player, as it was using that slot.

Comment

My 88 required me to run the wires for the door speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                          Gadget, I think all of the Lincoln tape decks 88+ are compatible with the standalone CD player. When I pulled mine out (it wasn't a factory JBL car) it had the plug going in for the speaker outputs and then an empty slot where the CD player would plug into. I didn't know that was where the CD player went until I tore into a Town Car that had the CD player, as it was using that slot.
                          I think that is probably right. The one I happen to have is out of a mid 90s Continental. If I have to get a different one, its not a big deal. The ears that hold the face on are cracked anyway.

Comment

If you want another one I could probably send one whenever I send the EGR spacer over.

Comment

If you have one, I wouldn't throw it in the bin. I could probably fix this one with some superglue or something, but its so far down on my list of priorities its not even funny. I haven't driven the car it goes in going on 2 years now, making the radio work is not exactly crucial at this point.

Comment

Which car would it be for and would it be a tape deck or CD player?? I can't remember which radio we were talking about. I did score more pre '88 JBL stuff from an '86 TC, Amp was one of those weird deals I posted before and I didn't take it since it was rusty. I can't remember, are the air suspension parts the same 86+? The compressor was in the trunk and looked a bit different but the level sensor seemed to be the same so I took that as I'm trying to figure out why Ashley's doesn't work. Compressor works if you give it juice...

Comment

Working...
                                X