No announcement yet.

GT40 heads and PCM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a powder coating place in town that has good reviews; I want to get that intake powder coated. I still need to clean it up first. The engine off of which I pulled it was a sludge monster.
    —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
    1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

I stripped the HO upper I pulled for my car. I work for a company that has all the goodies needed. I then spray painted everything after I cleaned it, would've powder coated it but didn't have the color I wanted and getting new colors in isn't as easy as it used to be.

I think EGR causes all that nastiness inside the intake, that or shitty engine with lots of blow by. Heard you can just torch that stuff out.
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Sometimes an Explorer engine will run perfectly fine on a SD HO computer, other times they won't, and in that case, a mass air swap will cure it up.
        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

So maybe I said it earlier in the thread but the motor in my colony Park has really bad rings at 188,000 miles. Too bad I resealed the engine LOL. So for my readings and understanding the short block is the same between an HO Mustang/Mark car, And exploder GT40 motor and a lopo car.

I don't know that I want to go to the trouble of removing the camshaft and rebuild mine...

My question is power.
          Since I'm doing this job once and I want to maintain as much of a factory aspect as I can because I'm not going to turn this car into a drag wagon or something. But does it seem wise to use a Ford Explorer motor (GT40)or does it seem better to use HO from a Mustang or a mark seven?

The internet seems to say that the mustang/Mark have 205 to 220 hp and 300 foot pounds of torque.
          And it also says the explore has 210 or so horse power and 280 foot pounds of torque. So I can tell that the power output is quite similar between the two. The compression ratio is similar between the two. I'm just curious am I going to have even more torque using a Mustang motor instead of a explorer motor.
          -Nick M.
          Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
          03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Explorers have the worst exhaust manifolds ever created, a shit factory tune, and a lame ass cam. gt40/p's easily outflow the junk HO (and truck) e7's, which sadly outflow are extra shitty e6's.
            http://www.allfordmustangs.com/Detailed/630.shtml

If you want to do a HO/Explorer swap, you have to run the HO/Explorer cam as the firing order is different from the lopo's

I would not recommend doing an HO swap (especially in a Town Car or Wagon), even if you get the parts for free. Been there, done that (more than once), drive it everyday, not worth the price of gaskets. The stock HO cam is just not good in a heavy wagon or Town Car. It doesn't make any power down low which is where you want it for typical around town driving. E7 heads are meh at best. I enjoyed the engine significantly more in my old 85 Tudor.

The explorer cam is dead upstairs, but at least it has some bottom end in it. Not to mention the engine it comes in has much better heads and intakes.
            Last edited by pantera77; 01-07-2017, 10:35 PM.
            2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
            2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
            2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
            1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

If it needs rings, it needs the cylinders bored out. I've not seen a 302 that didn't have wear in the bore if it had a lot of blowby. Putting any sort of high performance parts on a slapped out bottom end is a waste of time. I'd also expect the bottom end bearings at that mileage to be a bit on the worn side. Rebuilding motors is all well and fine but you're down for weeks if you pull the one from the car and do it. It makes a lot more sense to me to get another motor, rebuild it out of the car, and then just swap it in.

+1 on shittastic Explorer manifolds. The cam is also ho-hum. Ran one for years, its better than the lopo cam but its still not that inspiring. I've been happy with the Comp XE-258 thats now in the car. The factory Cobra cam is also good if you can find one for not retarded prices. There are probably a number of other mild aftermarket cams that would be a good choice. The HO cam sucks on the bottom end if you don't use a higher stall converter, and it absolutely wants different rear gears to not be more turd-like than the stock cam.

Last edited by gadget73; 01-07-2017, 11:17 PM.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                If it needs rings, it needs the cylinders bored out. I've not seen a 302 that didn't have wear in the bore if it had a lot of blowby. Putting any sort of high performance parts on a slapped out bottom end is a waste of time. I'd also expect the bottom end bearings at that mileage to be a bit on the worn side. Rebuilding motors is all well and fine but you're down for weeks if you pull the one from the car and do it. It makes a lot more sense to me to get another motor, rebuild it out of the car, and then just swap it in.

+1 on shittastic Explorer manifolds. The cam is also ho-hum. Ran one for years, its better than the lopo cam but its still not that inspiring. I've been happy with the Comp XE-258 thats now in the car. The factory Cobra cam is also good if you can find one for not retarded prices. There are probably a number of other mild aftermarket cams that would be a good choice. The HO cam sucks on the bottom end if you don't use a higher stall converter, and it absolutely wants different rear gears to not be more turd-like than the stock cam.

Did you do a MAF upgrade to your car? I am interested in the same cam for my car in an Explorer motor when the time comes. Seems super mild and has plenty of lobe separation to possibly play nice with the speed density.
                —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
                1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
                1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
                1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

yeah its mass air. It was running stupid lean even with the Explorer cam. It was doing fine un-tuned with the mass air and the XE258, does better now with a little tweaking and larger injectors, would probably do better yet with further tuning.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I have a stack of Lincoln logs in the garage they will definitely be used. I helped a friend remove GT 40 heads from a 96 explorer in the junkyard I couldn't believe how awful those exhaust manifolds look what a waste of time. He intends to just install the heads and a set of Lincoln logs on his 88 TC.

Sounds like Exploder / Mountaineezee is way to go. Thanks. I'm hunting around on craigslist for the right vehicle that has a bad trans or something
                    -Nick M.
                    Columbia, SC

Comment

Don't forget Copart. https://www.copart.com/lot/44643736/...edLot=44643736
                      This just showed up here locally. I could probably meet you there for a wheel swap as well.
                      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Nice miles wow. I thought you needed a dealer license to buy from Copart?

Heck I'd buy that, bring a wheel and a temp tag with me and drive it home!

Wish I could see where the EGR was on GT40 vsGt40p head cars. Does not look visible on GT40
                        -Nick M.
                        Columbia, SC

Comment

The EGR is in the same place on both engines.

Comment

Later P head motors had an external EGR pipe, no internal passage on the intake. If you mate the right intake with either heads the EGR works fine though. The heads all had the ports.

Comment

I was hoping just based on looking at pictures and options I could tell on a 97 model if it had the EGR pipe on the manifold or on the intake. Sometimes it's hard to tell wasn't sure if the IAC it may be moved or something When P heads went on.
                              -Nick M.
                              Columbia, SC

Comment

Some Copart locations need a dealer license or you work through a broker (added $). I haven't dug deep enough to see about this location. I know they used to be a dealer only place, but that was before they were part of Copart. Register and place a preliminary bid - if it lets you then you are okay without a broker up to $1000.
                                1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                                1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                                Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                                Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Working...
                                X