No announcement yet.

GT40 heads and PCM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have a factory h pipe and factory tail pipes for dual exhaust. Have a stack of Lincoln Logs in my garage.
    Once I get my garage cleaned out I'll attack this engine project next

PCM I can acquire now.
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
    03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Originally posted by TecNickal View Post
      Have a factory h pipe and factory tail pipes for dual exhaust. Have a stack of Lincoln Logs in my garage.
      Once I get my garage cleaned out I'll attack this engine project next

PCM I can acquire now.
      If you need any help, give me a ring. I can also keep an eye out in the junkyards for any suitable donor vehicles.

My Cars:
      -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
      -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
      -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
      -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

10-4
        -Nick M.
        Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
        03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

The 97+ engine isn't the end of the world. You need different headers or you can make it go with 1990 lincoln logs. Looking very specifically for a 1 year 20 year old engine is not exactly the easiest thing. Consider they stopped using that motor 15 years ago now, the supply is already shrinking.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Was a mid year changeover on the 97. Actually the only GT40s I've found have been in a 97.
            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

There's an absolute shitload of 5.0 exploders in the junkyard local here. Too bad I have no use for any of that junk.

Comment

Explorers had GT40's in 96 and early 97, from mid 97 on up they were all GT40P's.
                When I did mine It wasn't just the exhaust that was a problem, the 97 lower intake was not as plug and play as I wanted/needed.
                I did try a set of Lincoln Logs on "P" heads back then and was not happy with the fit on at least one side.
                Using the 96 made things a lot easier.
                And I still see many 96 GT40's in JY's.

Comment

The lower intake you need to drill and tap for the ACT sensor, but thats true for all years. I believe its 3/8 NPT. Unless you have the funny size drill bit and the tap, it might actually be cheaper to drop that off at a machine shop to have done. You'll probably spend 40-50 bucks on the drill and tap, and lets face it, the chances of needing it more than once are pretty slim.

The later ones had no EGR, not the end of the world if you don't have emissions to deal with. I have EGR on mine, it even works.

To make the exhaust work right though, you want the headers that mate to P heads. Other things do fit, not ideally, but you can jam it together.
                  Last edited by gadget73; 12-31-2016, 08:16 PM.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I was told that an explorer 5.0 can be swapped easily without any modifications. Quite literally, pick it, and install. Is that real? I'm not including exhaust in this. I know that'll need to be figured out.
                    1993 Ford F-150 Flareside - July 2010 - August 2013
                    2004 Ford Mustang - September 2013 - February 2018
                    1987 Mercury Colony Park GS - August 2015 - Present
                    2018 VW Golf GTI - February 2018-February 2021 (was a lease)
                    2003 EZGO TXT - March 2015 - May 2019 (it's road legal!)

2019 VW Golf Alltrack company provided April 2019 - Present
                    2012 Fiat 500 5 speed - January 2021-Present
                    2003 Audi A6 Allroad 6 speed July 2021-Present

Comment

Originally posted by longroof87 View Post
                      I was told that an explorer 5.0 can be swapped easily without any modifications. Quite literally, pick it, and install. Is that real? I'm not including exhaust in this. I know that'll need to be figured out.
                      Pretty much, need to swap the timing cover, all the accessories, water pump, etc..., oil pan, flip the intake, lighting EGR spacer, put in a decent cam and valve springs, 19# injectors, Mass Air swap....

But all and all, it is a direct bolt in swap for the most part. Best way to go to be honest.
                      2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Its the best factory engine Ford actually made in a lot of respects. Cam is not amazing, but its got pretty much the best heads and intake they made, and there is nothing wrong with the block or rotating assembly. The valve springs suck, cam is meh, and the other bits just don't fit. They can be swapped though. A lot of the parts you'll need are already on your stock engine.

Comment

I don't have much time or patience really, so any engine swap for me had better be well worth it. A warmed-over factory engine just isn't enough when it comes to that honestly. If my box was a 3rd car and I had a shitload of spare time, i'd consider piddly little mods, but I want major whenever I do a lot of work. Go big or stay stock for my money. Everyone's situation is different though.

Comment

I like stock reliability. Seems stock stuff has a lot less chance of randomly eating itself than a fresh motor after assembly. Exploader does seem like the better way to go as those probably weren't beat on as hard as a VII or Rustang.
                            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

So it sounds like there is a chance that one could get away with a Mark VII PCM and an Explorer engine/intake/65mm throttle body & EGR spacer?

I'm in the same boat as the OP as I'm looking to drop a new engine into the '90 sometime this year if able. I have an early Explorer intake that I acquired from a local yard (very early, doesn't even have the boss for the throttle cable clip) and a Lightning EGR spacer and 65mm throttle body that David was nice enough to send to me in exchange for a few $s. Would this be workable with the speed density PCM and a stock HO cam? I've read that the primary consideration with speed density systems is camshaft selection. Closer lobe separation reduces manifold vacuum, making the MAP sensor useless, rendering the computer unable to compensate and run the engine correctly. I would love to run an aftermarket cam, but I want to avoid a snowball effect of supporting parts purchases.

Another consideration with this setup, stock HO cam or not, would it play nice with the stock AOD? Besides swapping the stock modulator, is there anything else (torque converter?) one might want to upgrade if dropping in a complete Explorer engine?
                              —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
                              1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
                              1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
                              1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

oh yeh, I've got two early exploader uppers, 1 is part of a complete set that is painted and ready to go (By PO, I ended up not using it) I might be able to be convinced to ship them out.
                                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
                                X