Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the install depth of the dash speakers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the install depth of the dash speakers?

So I am looking at 3.5 and 4 speakers but I know there is a limited install depth, does anyone know this measurement? I am going to make some adapters from some looking for gauge metal or (based on someone else's from Tupperware lids) some heavy styrene sheeting. What speakers have you all installed with luck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    sigpic

Since the speaker holes were not intact anyway, I cut them to put speakers in. Install depth is very shallow, I have the stock ones at home and could measure, but all the ones I've seen are too deep.
    1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

The Pioneer 4 inch speakers I used in the beater fit fine (Now used in an old boombox). Pioneer Ts-G1042R.
      In the Lincoln I used to have I used Kenwood KFC-1062S. Both should work fine in any box.

I also used the speaker grills to help keep the dash grill slots from sagging (and to keep the large chunks out of the speakers).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

That is a fantastic tip! Thanks!

sigpic

Comment

Bas d on the above recommendations it sounds like there is at least 1.75 inches of mounted depth; found these fosgates measuring in at 1.72inches.

Rockford Fosgate R14X2 Prime 4-Inch Full Range Coaxial Speaker - Set of 2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BF6HWF4..._lR.zyb9G44ZHJ

I like fosgate and may go this way, get a set of 6x9 for the back and it should be a decent system.

sigpic

Comment

That should fit fine.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Excellent, now to find a head unit. All the top brands fallow the same style scheme; found one I liked that was homely with two knobs that looked like an old post mount, reviews on it were absolutely terrible. Never thought I would intentionally want a head unit that looked outdated... lol

sigpic

Comment

modern stereos kind of bother me with all of the flash and such. I have an Eclipse in the Lincoln and I sort of hate it. I keep thinking about rebuilding a stock stereo for it and just modding it for line-in duty. If I get the right one I can interface it with the amps in the trunk.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I was kind thinking about a amp board from Partsexpress, gutting the stock radio, wire in the volume and then pairing it with one of their BT adapters....I will probably just go with a pioneer.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X