Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best motor to use for a performance build?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the best motor to use for a performance build?

I am looking to build a motor for my 85 Crown Vic. I wonder what would be the best motor to use 5.0, 5.8 push rod, 4.6 SOHC, 4.6 DOHC, or 5.0 Coyote.
    The push rod engines would be cheaper to build. the Modulars would have the wow factor. Any more the Coyote is the swap motor of choice for the true blue oval peeps with a lot of $$$$$.
    I am looking at a high horsepower streetable motor, something that I can jump in and drive cross country if I wanted to. Probably will have to go forced induction to make any power living in high elevation where I do. Thankfully I now work at an auto parts and get a decent discount on parts. but budget is still in play. Thinking of what I could find in a junk yard. Or should I go cubic inches and build a Big block Ford.

Tim
    2000 Ford Crown Victoria
    84 Lincoln Town car signature, R.I.P
    85 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2 door performance project
    89 Lincoln town car: RIP
    89 Crown Victoria LX 2002 USACi sound quality world champion RIP
    1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
    1994 Mercury Grand Marquis (sold)
    2004 Mercury Marauder. owned for a week then got screwed by the dealer

Depending on how far your budget will travel (gotta pay to play), I'd go 5.0 Coyote. The new 5.0 is still built from Modular architecture and can be found in a few applications is already showing up in salvage situations (wrecked F-series pickups and Mustangs). The power output is already good from the get go, so adding additional speed parts would be icing on the cake.

It shouldn't be too hard getting all the electronics working if a donor harness is grabbed, or if a standalone ECU is available.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

If you can swing the coin, Coyote is also my vote since high horsepower reliability is your goal. $7000 it can be a runner. Maybe $4000 if you find deals. But let's face it, 99.9% people reading this don't have that kind of money, and if they do aren't willing to throw it at a Panther.

So that said, cheapest easiest option get a runner 351w, throw some decent moderate aftermarket heads and aftermarket EFI controllers on it, and have a runner for $2000. Cheaper if you get deals. Like a church van donor in the pick n pull on half price day and some AFRs from a Coyote swapping mustang guy.
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

What's your budget?
        What's your skill level?
        What numbers are you looking for?

Your all over the map here.
        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

3-5-1

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
          The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
          It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Kind of hard to set a budget, possibly looking at 3-4 K. but depends on what I get from work vs Junk yard. As for skills. I know what I am doing plus I have quite a few resources to pull from.
            HP # ultimately looking 6-700 or more. I know I can't get that power with 4K. but once I get a good base I build from there. I may look at what I can get a Dart block for. That would be a great base to start, they are rated for over 2000 HP. That would be awesome a 1000+ HP Panther. Ahhhh Dreams.

Tim
            2000 Ford Crown Victoria
            84 Lincoln Town car signature, R.I.P
            85 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2 door performance project
            89 Lincoln town car: RIP
            89 Crown Victoria LX 2002 USACi sound quality world champion RIP
            1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
            1994 Mercury Grand Marquis (sold)
            2004 Mercury Marauder. owned for a week then got screwed by the dealer

Comment

Unless you get really lucky you are not going to get a coyote in there, setup and running at that budget. You maybe could if you get a whole wreck, including the keys, real cheap. Plan on it taking a while to get the wrinkles out unless you are gifted by a pioneer who has done this before.
              There are fitment issues and figuring the hvac plenum would be fun unless you don't want hvac. Though you would be starting somewhat near the power goals you want.
              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I'd go with a 351 based setup for that budget. It will bolt in and no fab required.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

600 700 reliable HP 429 / 460
                  Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Coyote for good power straight away, as well as reliability. Throw a blower on it and you're making 600hp in no time. Just costs $$$. Or you get a 351, do a 408 solid roller and throw some spray at it. Cheaper but not exactly as streetable. These choices for me are usually made by what thing I find first that I can afford or have easier access to. As luck would have it, my brother snagged me a 347 short block for super-cheap, so that's what's happening.

Comment

I love pushrod engines for packaging reasons and simplicity. I can put a head gasket on a SBF and not touch the cam, chain or even the cover. A 302 based engine would be good but I think a 351 based engine would be even better.

Nothing wrong with an OHC engine, I'm just used to pushrod engines and it's what I like.

The mod motor is great from 2v to Coyote, but they're fucking huge. Like as big or bigger than a 385 series engine depending on what version you've got.
                      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

4.8/5.3 and turbo
                        It's been done a millions times for good reason.
                        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                          4.8/5.3 and turbo
                          Sacrilege, heresy, you heathen. LOL

Sad to say, it has crossed my mind. (Fleetingly though)

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                            4.8/5.3 and turbo
                            Yep. That and LS > Coyote
                            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

As a 302 block splitter I can say if you have any hopes of creeping to 500hp and beyond... that tosses the 302.
                              That 600-700 is within the okay zone of 351 base stock blocks limits though. Put some $$ into the good rotating assembly in the bottom end and do the heads/intake the year after and then a turbo to pollish it off. Could go supercharger but with gobbling 30%hp to run it, you'll find yourself at the limits of pump gas to get the power out the flywheel that you will 1 day want with all that is going out the front crank pulley.

Turbo uses about half that to run which means more power out the flywheel on pump gas limits 👍 For what it's worth, what i'm doing, the car is built and waiting to drop in a 1000+hp single turbo 408 (stroked dart block 351w).

Non-pushrod is a sin.
                              Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
                              HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

Working...
                              X