Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best motor to use for a performance build?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a bit of advice before you get too ass over head with all this, make sure the car will actually support the power. Its boring, but building it from the back forward works a whole lot better. A big motor that destroys the stock trans is not much good, and if it won't hook up, handle, or stop, its also no good. Make the suspension right first, then do the driveline, then the motor last.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      Just a bit of advice before you get too ass over head with all this, make sure the car will actually support the power. Its boring, but building it from the back forward works a whole lot better. A big motor that destroys the stock trans is not much good, and if it won't hook up, handle, or stop, its also no good. Make the suspension right first, then do the driveline, then the motor last.

This ^^

As I learned through building several drag cars and being around the track all the time I can assure you that you will always find the next weak link. Drivetrain parts act like fuses, something will blow.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Originally posted by mitymerc View Post
        Sacrilege, heresy, you heathen. LOL
        Why? It's just a bunch if metal. Who cares who makes it?

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
        Yep. That and LS > Coyote
        Correct. Look at the latest iteration of Cameron's car. If I wanted to go fast for cheap damn straight I'd put a bowtie under the hood, makes no difference to me where the engine comes from.

Thankfully I like my 150hp boat anchors.
        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

That is the plan, while the engine is on the stand that rest of the car gets updated. Ideas and plans have already been flowing.

Tim
          2000 Ford Crown Victoria
          84 Lincoln Town car signature, R.I.P
          85 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2 door performance project
          89 Lincoln town car: RIP
          89 Crown Victoria LX 2002 USACi sound quality world champion RIP
          1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
          1994 Mercury Grand Marquis (sold)
          2004 Mercury Marauder. owned for a week then got screwed by the dealer

Comment

I was going to suggest this approach as well. Big brakes, rebuild the rear, start sourcing people that will build a decent C6 or AOD for ya, and while you're under the car, take a look for rust and start thinking about replacing anything that might fall off or otherwise come apart while you're romping on it. As you spend time doing those things, then start figuring out the engine build. LincolnLarry has a stroked 557 big block in his TC; I don't know the numbers, but it sounds like an easy naturally aspirated 600hp.

Comment

I do care who makes it.. I couldn't put a Ford in a Chevy or whatever, I'd just do the best I could based on what that mfg. offers.
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                Unless you get really lucky you are not going to get a coyote in there, setup and running at that budget. You maybe could if you get a whole wreck, including the keys, real cheap. Plan on it taking a while to get the wrinkles out unless you are gifted by a pioneer who has done this before.
                There are fitment issues and figuring the hvac plenum would be fun unless you don't want hvac. Though you would be starting somewhat near the power goals you want.
                Coyote clears Hvac box. Couple of guys swapped it into Whales and dimensions are the same. You might have to swap to a Whale Hvac housing and definitely to Whale brake booster.

Modulars respond nicely to boost but to get to your horsepower needs you would want built bottom end. Boosted 4v will easily accomplish this but it's big bucks. Cheapest way is definitely dropping Chevy into it with a turbo.

Comment

Working...
                X