Rattle sound in the back - 04 tc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rattle sound in the back - 04 tc

We have a 2004 Lincoln towncar with 143,500 miles. Recently a new sound started in the rear driver's side. It's loudest is at slow speed, it increases rhythmically with increased speed; until about 30-40 mph.

The sound is similar to steel balls rolling around, in the trunk. At around 50 mph, the sound seems to be diminished, but still noticeable.
    The sound seems to have no effect on ride quality or handling. I'm headed to a friend's house to jack it and look under the back end. Is there any place to start?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Thesavo; 01-01-2017, 10:11 AM.

possible the parking brake shoes fell off the backing plates and you're hearing the friction material rolling around. Pull the rear disc and have a look in there.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Oh interesting. That goes farther then I can go today. I pulled off the wheel and isolated it to the driver side. It does make a sense. I let the idle run the wheels while it's up on jack stands. The noise was present, yet quite.

If the issue is loose parking components inside the brake rotor, I'd like to leave it the normal mechanic.

Thanks helping. I'll reply back once the mechanic looks at it Wednesday.

Last edited by Thesavo; 01-01-2017, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Savo!
        Happy new year!
        And yes to what gadget said
        -Nick M.
        Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
        03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Thanks. I'll let you all know how it goes with the mechanic tomorrow. Another suggestion is a failing wheel bearing. I'll ask that they check both.

Comment

Yep, check the wheel bearing for play on both sides. Just jack the rear up and give the rim/tire a few quick upwards pulls. If you have play in it you will know (it'll clunk). Then it's clean out the rear, new bearing/seal/fluid and new axle time. Been there twice on my 03 CV now.
            These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

usually the bearings hum and grumble, and you'll see oil leaking out if they are truly wasted. If they are to that point, you will need axles too.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The mechanic just called in. He is saying at the moment, there is no indication of a faulty wheel bearing. The rear axle on the other hand, is leaking into the parking brake and onto the disc rotor.
                He also said the front stabilizer bar links are shot and also need to be replaced. He said the whole job should be $500

Comment

If the axle seal is popped... then something pushed it out. That's usually a bad bearing.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Hrm. We will see what the mechanic comes back with. If there is no noise, and the bearing has failed, would I know?

Comment

if the bearing has failed, there will be noise. If it's just the seal itself let go around the axle and didn't pop out, then you may be fine and just need a new seal. Though that requires pulling the axle out and inspection at that time will be made.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

OK.

Comment

And the vent needs to be checked to if only the seal is affected.

Comment

He'll know what the bearing looks like when the axle comes out to change the seal. There is no way to do that job without at least looking at what the bearing sits on. Honestly the bearings themselves are pretty tough, the axle is the cheese part, and once that starts to go away it takes the bearing with it.

Comment

They did check the axle vent and it is cleared out. The total was $635. They replaced the following:
                              front stabilizer bar links
                              Left rear wheel bearing
                              Left rear axel shaft
                              Wheel seal.
                              12 qts of 75-210 synthetic gear oil.
                              The problem is gone.

Comment

Working...
                              X