My 1987 Mercury Colony Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is nice when you can make it work.

I have the mandrel bent impy tails on my car and if they do go out and in fact cannot get them again I will bite the bullet and go to an exhaust shop to have something nicely bent up for me. I just hate bringing my car places because people just dgaf about your car and it will shurley come back with damage on it that it did not have going there....
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

"I just hate bringing my car places because people just dgaf about your car and it will shurley come back with damage on it that it did not have going there.... "

I agree 100% . I think "dgaf" is the new normal in our society.

Comment

A real shame good craftsmanship no longer exists (except for the guys here and a few other places) as it once did. DGAF seems to prosper in all walks of life!!
        What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
        What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Finally got around to messing with a few things.

I broke one of the holes in the factory exhaust hanger behind the passenger wheel. I realized that the way the system was hanging was putting all the weight on the rear hangers, where really the muffler hangers need to be putting the most work. I found suitable adjustment by loosening the clamps at the H-pipe and moving the mufflers further out and away from the driveshaft and upwards about an 1-1/2". Still makes a good seal on the ball flange, while adequately offering more clearance between the control arms. This also allowed for the pipes to exit much closer to the edge of the body instead of being tucked under the car too much for my liking. I also managed to make the old hanger work by using the remaining hole in the rubber strap. I think with the repositioning work, everything is pretty much where it's gonna stay. Looking at the current system, I could argue that the lowest point is no lower than the old Town Car pipes that was on the car. Probably have put about 300-400 miles on the mufflers, and while they've gotten only a touch louder as they've broken in, they're plenty quiet at light throttle with just a light purr around 60 MPH. When you romp on it, it'll certainly start singing a much more imposing sound.

I also opted to clean up the car, and while cleaning the interior I went to check on why the tailgate lock quit working with the switch. The actuator is just plain missing, 100% disconnected from the connector and one rubber bushing is in the hanger. I have no idea where it's gone off to, it's not in the tailgate. Guess I'll have to get another. I did make some striker adjustments to compensate for slop in the hinge bushings for a better door-to-body fit, and so the window glass would make better contact on the passenger side with the weather stripping. Oh how I wish we had a good solution for that.

Final busy work involved the instrument cluster. I swapped around the appropriate pins in the connector so I could use the original 1980 text based warning light panel that came with the cluster versus the pictogram one I tossed in there as an interim deal. Tossed in some 2700K LEDs I've used in the '97 and D-150 cluster. Nice and bright while actually being incandescent colored.

Photo makes the color look a little funny, but in person it still appears as that traditional green glow, but just appropriately brighter. I took time to also fix the inoperative high beam indicator and thoroughly clean the multiple lenses. It gets a few days to hang out in the garage and avoid the sun.

I'm also already trying to determine what I'm going to drive out to Texas in at the end of September for a wedding. Both cars seem to be in good fighting shape, but I might need to log some more road time with this one before going long distance again. It's never left me stranded, but something has chewed at me a bit thinking about 2017 and then the odd times the AOD spat out two of the transmission cooler quick disconnects.

My Cars:
          -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
          -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
          -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
          -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Good deal on the repositioning of everything.

Actuator missing explains no tailgate lock. Definitely a mystery as to where that may have ran off to.

I smile every time I see one of those police merc clusters. Just so damn cool.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

its such a rare piece too
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Agreed, that police cluster is cool. I wonder how many are left in this world?

Comment

Every time I see one, I regret not special ordering a police package on my 82 Mercury 2 door.

Comment

Originally posted by 1985crownvicltd85 View Post
                    Agreed, that police cluster is cool. I wonder how many are left in this world?
                    Poking around here, I think Grand Marquis GT has one in his '83 coupe, there was a bidding process/sale between FatNasty and MrMarquis (correct me if I'm wrong) for one, and there's mine that I purchased along with an 85 MPH cluster from a member here.

There's also been maybe three or four police Marquis posted/mentioned, but none of them were in running shape. There's some old threads regarding a guy selling a 1980 and a 1981 from another site. There was an eBay listing for one that was in pretty poor shape. Someone mentioned one in a junkyard years ago, and that's about it.

I've seen photos of Kansas and Missouri State Police using them. I also have a photo of Toronto Police using one.

Given such a short model run, and likely most agencies ordering LTD, I'm sure these were a passing oddity and not much credence was given to preserving any at the time. Now what is obviously a very rare bird, I've never seen one in person, running or not.

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                    Every time I see one, I regret not special ordering a police package on my 82 Mercury 2 door.
                    That would have certainly been a 1 of 1 car. Funny how the ordering options could be done then.

My Cars:
                    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Is it possible to post pics of it in this thread? I don't see any pics of the cluster or a link to them..
                      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                        Is it possible to post pics of it in this thread? I don't see any pics of the cluster or a link to them..
                        check the previous page and the post that started the discussion... http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post867911

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thank you for the link sly, but all I see is the photo of K-Wolf's car at the top and then the video of the exhaust job. No other links, what am I missing?

Comment

check post #739
                            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

It's text only for me:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Post 739.png
Views:	1
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	1290545

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                                It's text only for me:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58247[/ATTACH]
                                The image you can't see is on Imageshack. The URL is https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/JAtZl9.jpg

The other image, of a yellow Mercury cop car, is also on Imageshack at https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/7856/5y5T8P.jpg

Are you maybe browsing from somewhere that is blocking Imageshack?

Current driver: Ranger
                                Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                                | 88 TC | 91 GM
                                Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                                Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                                | Junkyards

Comment

Working...
                                X