No announcement yet.

My 1987 Mercury Colony Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grand1's '79 Marquis has an air dam like that mounted to the radiator support and a smaller one on the bumper. Open 2.26 rear gear (G code) on that car.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
      I can confirm that my 82 has that exact style air dam. It is not mounted on the bumper
      Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
      Grand1's '79 Marquis has an air dam like that mounted to the radiator support and a smaller one on the bumper. Open 2.26 rear gear (G code) on that car.

It might be that smaller one I'm thinking of that has the two holes in it. You can kinda see it in that photo above, and that's the one I usually see in photos of earlier cars. I can't honestly say I had seen one like what I grabbed until today and was curious what option them on the car. Then again, most general photos aren't from super low angles where it would be easy to see the air dam.

Originally posted by WagonMan View Post
      The "K" code cars had the air dam AND two gussets to reinforce the radiator support. If you don't know what I mean I can send pics tomorrow. WagonMan.
      Feel free to drop those photos if you like. I was trying to play "spot the differences" under the car at the yard, but not much jumped out at me.

My Cars:
      -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
      -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
      -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
      -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

I don’t think my 87 mgm has either one, would it make a noticable difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

...Open 2.26 rear gear (G code) on that car.

That thing must be really pokey. Take it it's got a three speed trans?
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I installed one onto my car way back I picked up from wagon man!

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post562444

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post563428

I cant say I notice a difference. It cant hurt things though. More air scooped up and into the radiator area is a good thing.

I also installed that other type you are talking about it. It was only on the earlier cars and is bumper mounted.....really mounted to the support directly behind the bumper.

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post660650

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post660837

It kinda replicates the cutouts in the older front bumpers:

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post815221

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post813737

Id say this type is more for aesthetics. I don't know what this one actually would help with.

I am interested in learning about the gussets on tow cars as well.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Not entirely certain, but I think his '79 is like the '80 pictured there.

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post

That thing must be really pokey. Take it it's got a three speed trans?
              yes, no OD. Whatever trans came in these before the AOD (C4 or C6?).
              Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
              ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
              ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I know the later whales got an upgraded deflector to help guide more air up, I wonder if it could be modified to fit. I don’t see why not. I doubt I’d be able to get one for a box so I might as well try to make another one work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Not entirely certain, but I think his '79 is like the '80 pictured there.

yes, no OD. Whatever trans came in these before the AOD (C4 or C6?).
                  They came with the C-4/C5. That is what my 79 ltd S wagon had. Pretty weak especially when put in a wagon and behind a 351 motor. Those transmission could be beefed up to handle the load. Seriously doubt many were.

Comment

Could be worse, the 255 did exist.

I always thought C4 was the perfect name for that piece of junk given how often they blew up in stock form. They're horribly sloppy things too.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

2.26:1 RAR = 70mph in First gear! (with a C4, anyway)

I never did successfully explain that concept to someone that my confusion at having to grab Second at 5mph in a certain other vehicle wasn't because that car was a stick shift, it was because its First gear was effectively 2.5 times as deep as I was used to at the time!
                      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Got in touch with Nick yesterday. He's coming down Sunday to do some axle pulling at the junkyard (gonna grab that K-Code axle off that Country Squire), and he's very kindly offered to trailer the '87 back home with him so he can get it to the transmission shop. I guess that's a better plan than trying to drive it up the interstate in 3rd and keep it around 60 MPH. Plus, if something decided to let go further, probably best not to be stuck on some lonely stretch between places.

Anyway, it'll be going along with a new converter that's rated for a 2200-2500 RPM stall range since the AOD is coming out and I may as well see about giving the HO something a bit better suited to its power band.

Hopefully 2021 goes better for this car and it won't need any more invasive mechanical work in the near future.

My Cars:
                        -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                        -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

'87 came home from the shop today. Johnson's took care of getting everything straight, so it shifts good again. Higher stall torque converter is gonna take some getting used to, but behaves fine in local driving, and does still have lockup function in 3rd and 4th, so it won't straight murder my fuel economy. I wasn't really able to do any hard standing starts since the weather was ugly all day, and conditions varied only from damp to raining at intervals. I want to learn the characteristics of the converter on dry surfaces first.

Swung by Nick's:

Unfortunately he wasn't home, but had made arrangements for me to pickup a proper tan cargo area carpet he found. Grabbed that, and headed home. TripMinder indicated average economy of 19.6 MPG, so no complaints there. When I got home, I did proceed to clean the cargo mat really well, since I was warned it was covered in dog hair. It's currently drying on the garage floor. Certainly happy to have the car back, now I guess I can start playing with things again, like that radio I've had for a few months. At a minimum, I should get that swapped in, then do the rest of the system at a later date.

My Cars:

Comment

Excellent. Hope all feels well on dry pavement for you.

Ive been waiting for your radio install. Such a unique piece.
                            ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Drove the car Sunday and Monday, then parked it after it started slow cranking. Took the battery with me to work, and its okay. The alternator, not so much. Bad diodes, recorded over 105mV of ripple and its started whining. Oh well, its been on the car for about four years, it came from the junkyard off a V6 Mustang, and I have no idea how many miles were on it.

With the time I did drive it, I have found the new torque converter makes the car much nicer to drive. It just feels a more awake, even if you're not hooning it. It can also leave a mean stripe if you floor it now, but it still shifts at 3900 RPM, so still need to do the shift governor. Everything in time.

Anyway, the alternator... lets get some shiny stuff on!

But wait, that's not a 3G! I figured if I'm doing this job, we'll go 6G, just because I can. Only thing being re-used is the V8 pulley from the old alternator. This is a brand new alternator from work, designed for the '01-'04 V6 Mustang.

A little bit of wiggling and it slipped right down into the bracket. Also, this can tilt a lot further than the 3G if you haven't ground down the bracketry any (I haven't), so a factory belt fits fine.

Looks good here!

I did run into a brief issue where the amp light wasn't engaging with KOEO. I unplugged it, did some reading, verified by no means was this particular 6G a PCM controlled variant, verified it was grounded, and plugged it back in. The amp light came right on during KOEO.

Seems to work fine now. If anyone is wondering why I opted for the 6G over the 3G considering it's rated at 110 amps vs the 130 amps 3G can offer, and its the fact the 6G design works a bit better at low speed for improved charging. I swapped from a 3G to a 6G on my '97 with good results, so I figured it wouldn't be a bad idea to do it here.

My Cars:

Comment

Neat. Amazing how new things can just bolt right in all these years later into a car not originally designed for it.
                                ~David~

Comment

Working...
                                X