PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536

Thread: My 1987 Mercury Colony Park

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

I'm really starting to suspect the drone source is the Mustang front parts, not so much the mufflers. I keep thinking I ought to have the exhaust re-done on my car yet again. it drones to the point where I've basically not driven it in like 3 years. Peak drone volume is the speed of all the local roads and it just gives me a massive headache to drive it for any length of time these days.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Quote Originally Posted by 87GrandMarq View Post
    I have a set of eBay special shorties that I ran on my 87 to get it down the street once lol. They fit fine. If you want them they’re yours for shipping. I don’t need them anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If they'll fit factory style Mustang H-pipes, I'll gladly put them to use. Hit me with a PM and we can take care of shipping and payment details.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Awaiting Resurrection
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (230K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

I post a lot...

What mufflers are you using? Are you running the vibration dampers? I always wondered if headers, which are thin walled compared to heavy cast manifolds are any louder.
    03 Marauder DBP, HS, 6disk, Organizer, Silver Stars, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector.
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated Cooper Zeon RS3-A, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    08 Escape Limited V6 Auto, Beamtech LED headlight bulbs,

Quote Originally Posted by jaywish View Post
    What mufflers are you using? Are you running the vibration dampers? I always wondered if headers, which are thin walled compared to heavy cast manifolds are any louder.
    The car still has the old factory-esque stuff bolted on. I am running what looks like Walker or some basic muffler presently since they came to me with the H-pipe. They're quiet, which is not a problem. The vibration dampeners are fitted between the converters and H-pipe.

My Cars:
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (230K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Man, it doesn't feel like the 4th was almost three weeks ago, time seems to be doing a good job of slipping past me.

Obviously recent adventures with the car included tossing on a '83 or '84 Country Squire tailgate with Nick that weekend along with addressing a dew wipe concern.

What an absolute bear it is trying to hang one of those. That was a project that I kinda expected to be a one day thing, that definitely stretched into a two day thing trying to get it lined up well enough to close properly. Both hinges have similar slop, except this one does its drop almost immediately upon opening it as compared to the other one that would give you several inches, then sag and make really cool noises. This one is at least quiet and smooth. I suspect the striker "bushing" (read: electrical tape) might need to be replaced with the real thing since the two way function worked once and didn't afterwords, but I noticed a deep gouge in the tape. I recall the original one had the same issue until some more tape was wrapped on the striker.

This one also has some rust concerns about as equally bad as my old gate, so it got rust treatment all along the bottom, and will get some seam sealer in a few spots, then painted in the jambs. The inside received FluidFilm along the inside bottom and on critical moving parts, like the regulator. The window guide slides all got well greased, and physical glass slides were also addressed. I did cut an access hole for the window motor, but made a "service panel" by cutting a larger sized plate out of the scrap gate. I'm going to drill four holes and using tapping screws to make service easier for any future endeavors. Doesn't sound pretty, but the old gate had a "flap" cut instead and it looked bad. The only real component that needs to be re-installed is the power lock actuator; the bushings were fighting me and I had no desire to bother with it at that moment.

I also decided to address another got dang transmission leak, because of course it's leaking again. Where? Looked like the cork pan gasket was all damp after I brake cleaned much of the surfaces around it and there was fluid dribble towards the bellhousing. I had noticed a very small patch of fluid before I left on the 4th, and when I returned home, the rear glass was spattered with transmission fluid droplets. It was not losing enough fluid to really make a worrisome note on the dipstick, but I'd like for this AOD to stop ejecting fluid. I did note that the pan looked different when I got it back from the shop, and I suspect it was slightly warped towards the front.

I opted to toss on a 4R70W pan (with drain plug) and rigid, re-usable type gasket. I am well aware there's a bolt hole that doesn't line up on the AOD, but if I see a leak from that corner, I'll drain it, remove the pan and drill a hole that's lined up properly, and use a replacement rubber gasket for an AOD. I will note that at the moment, it isn't leaking. On that note, I'll also mention my '97 is missing two bolts to its pan, and it seems to have been that way out of the factory since the time I drained it personally, the little bobber was still inside the pan and no witness marks on the pan where bolts may have been. It also doesn't leak. \_(ツ)_/

I also took the time to find some neat info about AOD filters, and that given this pan is deeper, one can use the 4WD type filter that has the "snorkel", so I opted to give that one a spin. Reminds me of how the one for the 4R70W is styled. It does fit just fine in this application as reported.

I've got to get more fluid though. I had 5 quarts of ATF, and apparently that wasn't enough. Following the correct fluid check procedure, it's still about 2 to 2-1/2 quarts low. Guess I'll get some more tomorrow. I'll also continue to watch that corner and make a future note if it does leak.

My Cars:

Very nice. I may grab a 4R70W pan just in case. I was not aware they were that close and the drain would certainly be a nice feature.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Cork gaskets are junk. You want either the metal cored rubber or the fiber gasket. Personally I'm more of a fan of the metal/rubber gaskets.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

That's not quite right.

That happened once I got the fluid level up to the hashed area on the dipstick with the engine running. For all intents and purposes, it took 7 quarts to get it in the hashed area, which definitely seemed like quite a bit. Dropped like a quart on the ground. Last I checked an hour ago and there was a slow but steady drip right between the engine and transmission. When I checked it with the car running after the puke fest, it was holding fluid level in-between the two dots. I'm wondering if I just managed to blow the front pump seal out, or if its just overfilled and purged like no one's business.

My Cars:

Since I'm past the edit time, this was one thing I mused over in a discussion on Discord...

Myself: "Since this is gonna be one of those topics I'll smartly walk away from for a little bit to get a better idea of WTF I have borked today. That said, I'll write out what's changed, and a theory I have.

So the original AOD pan came off and a 4R70W type went on. It is deeper by ~1 quart. The standard filter was swapped out for a 4WD type one as several deep pan write-ups for AOD applications recommended it. The 4WD filter uses a snorkel like the 4R70W, so it is pulling fluid from deeper down in the pan. Obviously I need to add fluid, so I started with 4 quarts, and with the car running, the fluid level did not hit the stick. Quart five hit the stick below the first dot. Quart six hit below the hash area. Quart seven got into the hashed area, then fluid party time.

With the car off, the fluid level is roughly an inch above the hashed area, after the fluid purge.

So, theory: Since the fluid pickup is now much lower (standard AOD filter doesn't live quite so deep in the pan), the dipstick is no longer accurate based on how the fluid is being pulled up from the pan. Ergo, attempting to fill the transmission into the appropriate range on the dipstick results in a massive overfill and the extra fluid pressure blows it past the seal.(edited)"

Message #tech-chat

Anyway, I'm going to sleep on it and not freak. There's an answer to the why.

My Cars:

I don't think the pan depth really has any bearing on fluid level. Yeah its deeper and it pulls from lower down, but the surface level of the fluid will be the same no matter how deep the pan is. You could potentially get by with less fluid since the pickup is down lower in the pan but that kind of defeats the point of extra capacity. Full trans with engine not running is usually an inch or so over the full mark, so thats reasonable.

not what you want to hear but I suspect you have a bad pump seal. There is a diagram in the shop manual that will tell you exactly what is bad based on precisely where inside the bellhouse the fluid is.

Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536