PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast

Thread: My 1987 Mercury Colony Park

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

if you're careful you can transplant the actual Low Fuel indicator to a 140 cluster. Just have to cut a window in the 140 and remove it from the old one to glue in place. The rear foil probably needs to be moved too since I don't think the bulb contacts exist on the cop cluster.

Do the wagons put the pump at one end of the tank? I know I've seen a wagon tank out once but I honestly don't remember any details of it.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    if you're careful you can transplant the actual Low Fuel indicator to a 140 cluster. Just have to cut a window in the 140 and remove it from the old one to glue in place. The rear foil probably needs to be moved too since I don't think the bulb contacts exist on the cop cluster.

Do the wagons put the pump at one end of the tank? I know I've seen a wagon tank out once but I honestly don't remember any details of it.
    Actually the cluster I got has a full printed circuit, and the indicators on the lamp panel, just no windows cut out for them. You pretty much just had to pay more to get two extra windows punched on your instrument cluster for low fuel and washer fluid level.

I may also need to check the fuel gauge counter weight. The gauge might be okay. While the '82+ GMQ clusters have a smaller sweep zone and a totally electric gauge, the '79-'81 clusters use a wider sweep and have a counter weight to bring the needle back. When no power is applied to the gauge, it'll fall back to empty, but when powered, the lowest it'll drop back to is 1/8. I only bring that up since the original cluster would read empty when the sender got picky in a turn and would read nothing. I had to futz with the gas gauge when I got the police speedometer since it was off kilter to one side.
    Last edited by Kodachrome Wolf; 12-26-2019 at 11:11 PM.

My Cars:
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1989 Sable LS Wagon (88,710 Miles) - Sold
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (210K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Been using the wagon as the daily for several weeks while I've had the '97 parked pending some minor suspension work. Before it gets to chill in the garage for a moment once the '97 is squared away, I finally decided to work on a few small things. Gas gauge was one of them. The inaccurate reading was due to the counter weight being too advanced. Got it adjusted now and the reading range is accurate.

Also swapped in a set of sun visors with good mirror doors, replaced the radio bezel, and fixed the radio mount. The radio bezel had gotten warped, and I noticed the radio was a bit canted to one side. I had never given credence to the fact factory radios had a support on the bottom, the one in there previously didn't, and the one I have now didn't. Well, the radio bounced around enough to shear off two of the front mount ears on the bracket. Repaired that and added a piece of cardboard under the radio, seems to have done the trick.

My Cars:
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (210K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
    Been using the wagon as the daily for several weeks while I've had the '97 parked pending some minor suspension work. Before it gets to chill in the garage for a moment once the '97 is squared away, I finally decided to work on a few small things. Gas gauge was one of them. The inaccurate reading was due to the counter weight being too advanced. Got it adjusted now and the reading range is accurate.

Also swapped in a set of sun visors with good mirror doors, replaced the radio bezel, and fixed the radio mount. The radio bezel had gotten warped, and I noticed the radio was a bit canted to one side. I had never given credence to the fact factory radios had a support on the bottom, the one in there previously didn't, and the one I have now didn't. Well, the radio bounced around enough to shear off two of the front mount ears on the bracket. Repaired that and added a piece of cardboard under the radio, seems to have done the trick.
    Is the counter weight something on the sending unit or up in the cluster?

I adapted the factory rear support after market radios I put in the vic.

I also made a nice thick aluminum mounting plate for the radio cage to mount in and then that all screws into the factory location. A couple spacers were needed for it to sit perfectly. Radio is solid and never going anywhere.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    Is the counter weight something on the sending unit or up in the cluster?
    The counterweight is at the bottom of the needle on the cluster, right where it pivots. It’s a unique thing to ‘79-‘81 GMQ clusters as far as I can tell. It must have gone away when Ford went from the wide sweep gauge to the more narrow one in the later cars.

My Cars:

putting that radio support bracket in the Towncar is on my list of things to do, probably along with replacing the head unit because I kind of hate it. The fact that it bounces is just an unrelated annoyance.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Well, I’ve got to do some work this weekend and I have two questions.

1.) Any idea what these two wires are supposed to be the grounds for (the wires with the ring terminal)? The EVTM was no help. One was originally attached to the back of the passenger cylinder head (the striped one) and the other was crudely attached to the fuel rail mount at some point. When I had the heads off, I attached both to a ring terminal, but I have no idea if that was smart. (Apologies for the large pic, posting on mobile)

2.) I’m going to have the fuel rail off, would it just be a good idea to change the pressure regulator while it’s easy to get at? It’s from a ‘89, but it’s still 30+ years old.

My Cars:

should be the sensor ground to the ECM, and probably the ground side of the O2 sensor heaters. So long as the connection to the block is good you should be OK but if the connection goes stupid the voltage from the O2 heater will screw with the sensor data. usually the sensor one goes to the studly bolt at the rear corner of the intake manifold. I see it on the driver's side looking lonely.

Bye LoPo stick...

More to finish tomorrow. I'm sore after laying across that damn nose, but it'll get done. FWIW, reason this is getting done is the timing cover started leaking, and I mean, while I'm there...

My Cars:

Welp, finally got everything back together, and I get to take the upper intake and valve covers back off. I guess I can say the HO swap is generally done though.

FWIW, I wasn't 180* out, but about 10* ATDC trying to get it to light up. It wasn't too agreeable like that. I need to restab the distributor a bit, since I've got it turned really hard towards the water neck to get it at 10* BTDC.

Sounds like one of the roller rockers is clacking away like a madman, or so I hope. I stuffed a large shim on that side, and it sounds like it's coming from where I did it. I was doing my best to follow the Crane Cams instructions so these were set properly. With the old stamped stuff, I just jammed them on at 20 ft/lbs, no shimming, and called it a day without all that racket. That's probably a really dumb way of doing things, but...

I can't tell if there's any real noise on the passenger side. I have the old stamped stuff tucked away, just in case I need to throw those on for a moment while I figure out what I messed up there. The lifters should be okay, but knowing my luck, maybe there's one that's not having a great day. Need to fix that before I really bone something up. I do not want to have to snatch that damn timing cover off any time soon.

Things that I found semi-note worthy:
    1.) The Mark VII PCM at least does work. I re-capped it before install. It'll be interesting to see how well it behaves given it's coming from an '87 setup that would have run the E6 heads on the HO setup. It seemingly ran okay for the 45 seconds it ran.
    2.) The connector to the IAC has a busted holding pin in it, which allows one of the wires to shift about. Definitely need to fix that before the IAC magically decides to stop working for a second.
    Last edited by Kodachrome Wolf; 03-09-2020 at 11:55 PM.

My Cars:

Yay. That’s the HO stick I gave you in there? Hope you figure out your lifter tick issue and have some fun whipping it around. I would hope you notice a difference.
    ~David~

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    Yay. That’s the HO stick I gave you in there? Hope you figure out your lifter tick issue and have some fun whipping it around. I would hope you notice a difference.
    Yessir, that’s the one.

I’m really hoping I just shimmed a rocker wrong. Where it sounds like the noise is coming from is where I used a large shim that Crane states is the equivalent of a full turn. They stated that 20 ft/lbs should be attained between 1/4 to 1 turn of the torque wrench. I’ll see what’s up next week.

My Cars:

I have no clue about pedestal mount rockers with their shims and such. I only dealt with the stud mounts on my twisted wedge heads. I found many ways people adjust theirs..many different ways I should emphasis. Again. Hope its a simple fix.
    ~David~

What brand lifters did you buy? Iíve heard of issues with aftermarket lifters.

Quote Originally Posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
    What brand lifters did you buy? I’ve heard of issues with aftermarket lifters.
    They’re the stock lifters. I was tired when I shot that video and said lifter, but I think I meant to say rocker. I’m hoping that’s the case, otherwise, the intake is coming back off.

My Cars:

The official blessed procedural way is to measure preload with a dial indicator. Its not hard exactly, just f'n irritating to get the indicator set up exactly so to see what its doing.

real world, if you get it to zero lash, then tighten the pedestal bolt between 1/2 and 1 turn from zero lash to torque, the preload is fine. More than 1 1/4 and the valve hangs open, under 1/4 and it clatters like a bastard.

Went home and snatched the upper intake off again and removed the valve covers and spent some quality time double checking everything. I definitely over-shimmed cylinder 6's exhaust valve. Had like a 1/4 worth of turn before clicking off on the torque wrench. Shame on me for reading only the first sheet in the box, as the second supplemental that went with it explained that on a pedestal type for Fords 1/2 to 1 turn was necessary at zero lash. The first page I read was that they recommended at least 1/4 to 1-1/4 of a turn. Whoops. Anyway, fixed that, and it shut right up! No collapsed lifter here, just set too loose.

Went to take it for a test drive, and found all the power steering fluid leaked out while the reservoir was tilted, so I had to grab some Type F from the store before I took it out. Unplanned fluid change? Probably not the worst thing to do for it. Anyway, I do need to adjust base idle a touch, since it's idling around 800-850 in park and about 650 in drive. Just a bit high, and I don't want to strain stuff. I also need to make a slight TV cable adjustment since things have shifted slightly, as I'm noticing O/D is coming on with light throttle closer to 45 vs 50 where I had it. NBD, it's not clunking so bad going to O/D for the time being. It's not engaging excessively early, as the slowest I could get it to go in with the smallest amount of throttle was about 43, and I was putzing to get it there.

As far as the driving goes, it's just like everyone says, which is a meh start, and then fun times. Really reminds me of a nPI Aero with a 2.73 taking off. Not an exciting start, but once it gets wound up, it just keeps going. Needless to say, I did the AOD-shuffle a few times and had no issues getting up to 80 with little fuss, and the engine definitely had the spirit to keep going, but I figured going to jail was not a smart idea. It's considerably nicer being able to keep winding the engine past 4K without it just promptly falling on its face. Even just driving normally it feels so much more competent. I just need to get the HO shift governor for the AOD so I'm not getting kneecapped when getting on the accelerator.

Regarding the Mark VII computer I'm using, despite coming from an LSC that was utilizing the E6 HO setup, I couldn't hear any pinging under load or while at WOT, so I assume it's cool working with the E7 heads.

My Cars:

Ported lower intake really helps the bottom end, more than I'd have ever believed if I hadn't experienced it first hand. My black Mark VII has a Holley Systemax 1 that uses the stock upper and it really made a difference, but a properly ported lower will do the same thing. Mostly it evens out the airflow so all 8 make the same power. Stock the front corner cyls are choked more by the intake than the head design. #5 especially is bad.

What gears do you have in that thing anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    What gears do you have in that thing anyway?
    3.27 open.

My Cars:

Awesome to hear. Happy for you.

An alternative is the transgo hi rev kit if you cannot source an HO governor.
    ~David~

Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast