No announcement yet.

My 1987 Mercury Colony Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got the direct fit Walker cats a few years back figuring I would eventually need them. I ended up installing them along with an engine in The Ice Car less than a year after I bought them.
    They are indeed the 2 cat deals, which frees up a bit of room down there.

I didn't hook up the thermactor stuff either. Install was 2 or 3 summers ago, no issues that I know of although I'm sure they aren't as efficient without that hooked up and a little smell some time to time.

Also, if you need the exhaust manifold flange studs I recommend Dorman 03135 (Thread Size #1 7/16-14, Thread Size #2 7/16-14)
    I used Dorman 03099, but think 03135 would have been a better choice.
    Dorman 03129 are NOT correct (M12-1.75).

If you find something other than Dorman, you need 7/16-14 thread for the manifold side.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
      I got the direct fit Walker cats a few years back figuring I would eventually need them. I ended up installing them along with an engine in The Ice Car less than a year after I bought them.
      They are indeed the 2 cat deals, which frees up a bit of room down there.

I didn't hook up the thermactor stuff either. Install was 2 or 3 summers ago, no issues that I know of although I'm sure they aren't as efficient without that hooked up and a little smell some time to time.

Also, if you need the exhaust manifold flange studs I recommend Dorman 03135 (Thread Size #1 7/16-14, Thread Size #2 7/16-14)
      I used Dorman 03099, but think 03135 would have been a better choice.
      Dorman 03129 are NOT correct (M12-1.75).

If you find something other than Dorman, you need 7/16-14 thread for the manifold side.
      I've already had the pleasure of replacing the studs when I got the hack job downpipes off before I installed the gutted ones that are currently in place. Driver's side came apart no problem, the passenger side snapped a stud and one just spun freely in the hole. I think I still have the additional studs in my tool box. Given it's been less than a year, I hope things come apart without excessive fuss.

My Cars:
      -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
      -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
      -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
      -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Single best feature of the cheap-ass headers on my car, they use nuts and bolts instead of studs. If one breaks, it just doesn't matter. It does make them slightly more difficult to install but can be done solo. Having someone to hold the top side is a lot easier though.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          Single best feature of the cheap-ass headers on my car, they use nuts and bolts instead of studs. If one breaks, it just doesn't matter. It does make them slightly more difficult to install but can be done solo. Having someone to hold the top side is a lot easier though.
          Even the name brand ones are junk. Dad and I both have ford racing ceramic coated shorty headers and we both had issues removing them. The dorman kit came in hand for me as just the threads of one of the studs were all janky. Dad on the other hand had to go nut and bolt after drilling out.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

yeah they suck. I've occasionally wondered if brass nuts would be worth using. They wouldn't rust to the stud at least. Of course if the threads are rusty it will probably just strip the nut right out trying to remove it.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Knocked out the catalytic converter install. Passenger side manifold got bolts put in since the studs decided to come back out.

Only bad thing is there is definitely a leak at the flanges. Not super loud, but I can hear it. The H-Pipe flanges are all stupid anyway (rusty, a touch warped), and the gaskets obviously aren't working well. I may try high-temp RTV instead and see if that seals better. I also need to grab some washers since the Magnaflow flanges use wide ears on their converters, which is why the weights are mounted wrong. At least it doesn't smell like death anymore.

Also, something caused a humongous power draw and drained my battery. I had been doing some work around the main relays and I think one have remained switched. For whatever reason, if you ever so much bump the relay holders, they'll click like you've turned the key and you can hear the fuel pump prime. This isn't ideal, so I'm going to take the time to do a full conversion to properly use the later relay box holder versus my hackjob.

Luckily I have spare battery, so I tossed it in and it fired right up. I have my Group 64 on the charger, so hopefully it'll be okay. It fits better than the Group 56 I had laying around.

My Cars:
              -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
              -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

might try a flat file to clean up the flanges so they seal. Once it cuts all the way across, it should seal.

Comment

Shiny parts.

Curious about the relay ordeal.
                  ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Here's a clip of what they do when disturbed. I'm fairly certain they shouldn't be doing that, but they do. I figure since the conversion to the modern setup has been done before, on other cars, why not add another to the list? Hell, at this rate I might even attempt doing the Aero fuse box versus the various fusible links by the battery. There's just so much spaghetti under the hood, and while it won't all disappear, modernizing it's appearance isn't exactly something I'm against.

My Cars:

Comment

Thats a good one.

Go for the modern fuse box while you are at it. It is quite nice.
                      ~David~

Comment

fair bet you'll find missing insulation if you peel back the harness some. Green is fuel pump, black is AC, the other one is ECM, can't recall if its grey or brown. Could be either fuel pump or ECM though, powering the ECM will power the pump. Pump is ground side switched, ECM is hot side switched. There is a constant + feed to the ECM along with the switched lead, so I'll go with that one as being your more likely short.

Comment

Cool.

Anyway, there was an eBay listing for a '95 relay holder with relays, harness, and vacuum box for $30. Decided just to order that since I'd probably pay roughly the same to get that out my local yard. That'll be the next project since it'll look nicer than the old relay housings in a cut up lid. Hopefully it'll also eliminate the ability to go about energizing relays by shaking them.

My Cars:

Comment

+1 betting on insulation GONE GONE.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I think if I had an early box, one of the 1st things I'd end up doing is retrofitting a more modern fuse box. I'm partial to the battery junction box in a Aero Town Car (different than a CV/GMQ), it has enough room and its labeled from the factory rather than having a number and telling you RTFM to see what it is. I was able to add the circuit(s) for my electric fan to the Townie fuse box with standard 1/4" spade terminals and they locked into the box just fine. Aero/Whale battery junction box also has the advantage of having the large positive stud on the side for battery hook-up and that could replace some of the circuits that are tacked onto the starter solenoid of a box.
                              -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
                              1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
                              1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
                              1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

either way, whatever you do with it you're going to need to tie into the existing wiring, so the insulation problem needs to be found and fixed.

Comment

Working...
                                X