No announcement yet.

My 1987 Mercury Colony Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I already texted you plenty of profanity. Do we need to arrange for a tow of this persons vehicle to a a non-local tow yard for the inconvenience he's caused? Remove plate and claim abandoned vehicle?

Seriously that bothers the hell out of me. Sorry man.

I know a place that you can get a tail gate - it may not be a Mercury version but this junkyard is full service and is in Batesburg. They have like an 83-84 Country Squire and they have a similar year Colony Park but its tail gate is long gone.

Also I checked car-part.com and I see tailgates are readily available from $100-300 - so long as you're willing to drive.

I think he owes you a tail gate and gas money to go get the one you want.

There's a nice one in NC with pictures that's from an 87...
    https://cpprohomeky.car-part.com/ima...ck%23%20021602

And the more I look at the pic, the more I agree - just find another one. They are out there. and a 2x4 with hammer can address in interim. Use the bashed tailgate for scrap metal.
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
    03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Originally posted by TecNickal View Post
      I already texted you plenty of profanity. Do we need to arrange for a tow of this persons vehicle to a a non-local tow yard for the inconvenience he's caused? Remove plate and claim abandoned vehicle?

Seriously that bothers the hell out of me. Sorry man.

I know a place that you can get a tail gate - it may not be a Mercury version but this junkyard is full service and is in Batesburg. They have like an 83-84 Country Squire and they have a similar year Colony Park but its tail gate is long gone.

Also I checked car-part.com and I see tailgates are readily available from $100-300 - so long as you're willing to drive.

I think he owes you a tail gate and gas money to go get the one you want.

There's a nice one in NC with pictures that's from an 87...
      https://cpprohomeky.car-part.com/ima...ck%23%20021602

And the more I look at the pic, the more I agree - just find another one. They are out there. and a 2x4 with hammer can address in interim. Use the bashed tailgate for scrap metal.
      The one in Batesburg doesn't sound bad distance wise. Since this thing doesn't have wood grain, donor model be damned since I plan to paint it with the current colors. Emblems can be swapped. It's not wearing the Grand Marquis ones (which would have been destroyed if it was), which just means the 'Mercury' script needs to come off. Only thing that would be missing is the high mount brake light, but that won't really bother me. Enough cars have burnt out ones around here, so it being completely absent won't hurt a thing.

A little bit of metallic dark brown and gold/bronze color, and bam, straight tailgate and paint that couldn't be any worse than the rest of it. Only draw backs I've got is time to go get that stuff. School Mon-Thurs and work possibly any given day. I'd gladly pay someone to grab a tailgate and for their time and effort to get it (given the pricing for the tailgate is reasonable).

We could probably paint/hang that tailgate on a Saturday whenever nothing is happening. For now, I'll try to bang the existing one into shape. I doubt I'll be happy with my inspection tomorrow. I'll be more pissed if I find the window guides are messed up and it can't be rolled down. That is a feature I find convenient.

This also isn't the first car that has taken a strike from him either. The lady (the family friend) who lives here had her Accord backed into as well. He got it on the corner of the passenger side bumper which pushed it in and creased the trunk lid. I was able to pop that bumper cover out and straighten the lip of the trunk a bit. I guess careless backing is a habit that dies hard.

My Cars:
      -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
      -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
      -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
      -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Tailgate looks pretty bad. Time for a replacement. Have you checked to see if a "skin" is available ? If you replace the whole thing, I would save as many parts from the damaged tailgate as possible. Spare parts come in handy.
        Hand the guy who is staying at the house a bill for the damage. After damaging two vehicles, he would not be staying there anymore unless he pays the damages.

Comment

Bummer on the tailgate buddy, but at least it isn't your whole front end...

Comment

Dear OP,

That third taillight space works good for a rear window wiper. Be sure to save low mileage hinges and latch mechanism.

Donald McCaig

Comment

This thing is toast:

Creased from the upper trim straight down to the bottom lip. The window rolls down about half way before it starts binding on the left side. I had to pull it up some with my hand to get it going again. Opening the tailgate is out of the question. You can get it about 4 inches before it catches on the body. It does have some sag, so if you lift on it from the bottom, you can get about an extra inch, but the trim at the bottom catches on the body. It'll have to be bent out of the way to get it to open.

On the plus side, a donor tailgate should hopefully be sourced on Saturday. Nick is going to see about swinging by the full service place, so we will see how that plays out. I should be getting compensated for the costs from the guy that hit it. As long as the replacement tailgate is straight for the most part, things should be just fine again. A minor delay, but at least it'll be back on track for doing all the other things interior related that is planned.

Besides the tailgate stuff, I changed the oil and swapped in the replacement wiper switch. Still no wiper action, and just the washer pump functions when the lever is pulled. I need to get a voltmeter on that area soon.
              Last edited by Kodachrome Wolf; 01-16-2017, 03:27 PM.

My Cars:
              -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
              -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Nick, I can't thank you enough!

Nick scored me a replacement tailgate from an early Country Squire:

I know the trim is different, but I'll paint it to look like the existing style. Eventually all the wood trim bits will go away, but for now I'll work with it. I'm going to try and get some work done on it next week.

Nick, thanks again!

My Cars:

Comment

At least it looks like the chrome can be swapped in place of the ford "wood" trim.
                  03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                  02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                  08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                  12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Nice! Good luck with the swap.
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Never been a fan of the Ford trim honestly. That plastic shrink wrapped woodgrain always goes to hell and it looks foolish. The Mercury chrome and wood inlay trim looks better and holds up better long term.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                        Never been a fan of the Ford trim honestly. That plastic shrink wrapped woodgrain always goes to hell and it looks foolish. The Mercury chrome and wood inlay trim looks better and holds up better long term.
                        Completely agree, the merc trim is so much better.
                        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                          Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          Completely agree, the merc trim is so much better.
                          I wouldn't mind swapping the trim pieces, but I'm not one for wanting to put holes into the new panel. I know the trim at the bottom of the Mercury good has little holes for where little bolts go to hold it in place in combination with those trim retainers. I'll have to think about it since it wouldn't be there forever. The eventual plan would be to have the car painted (most likely a few years down the road), but the two tone job would be dropped and the trim work that surrounded the wood grain would be deleted and any mounting points and holes would be filled and smoothed.

I will be attempting to generally match up the two tone so the replacement panel doesn't stick out too bad. I've seen a dark color called Cordovan Brown which could be used where the wood was, but replicating "sunburnt old gold/bronze paint" will be the fun part. There's some sandy gold colors I've seen that could be close to match the faded stuff, but I've also seen a color called Camel that looked like the stuff on the hood.

Should be interesting to see how close I can get it.

My Cars:

Comment

I hear of people always suggesting bringing in a piece of the car they want to get paint for and having the place scan it with some fancy machine and then they can mix up a batch of paint and in some cases even place it in a convenient aerosol can for you. I just have trouble finding those places though the idea sounds super appealing. May be something worth putting some effort looking into for your camel/sandy beige paint. No idea what piece of the car you can easily remove and bring inside for the 'procedure" at the paint shop...Maybe hack off a piece of the old tailgate???

Whatever comes of the situation nothing will match anyways. lol
                            ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

The fuel fill door would do for that. Fairly small and easy to remove.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

That would definitely solve one of the two colors he is after.
                                ~David~

Comment

Working...
                                X