No announcement yet.

My 1987 Mercury Colony Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very nice. I may grab a 4R70W pan just in case. I was not aware they were that close and the drain would certainly be a nice feature.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Cork gaskets are junk. You want either the metal cored rubber or the fiber gasket. Personally I'm more of a fan of the metal/rubber gaskets.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

That's not quite right.

That happened once I got the fluid level up to the hashed area on the dipstick with the engine running. For all intents and purposes, it took 7 quarts to get it in the hashed area, which definitely seemed like quite a bit. Dropped like a quart on the ground. Last I checked an hour ago and there was a slow but steady drip right between the engine and transmission. When I checked it with the car running after the puke fest, it was holding fluid level in-between the two dots. I'm wondering if I just managed to blow the front pump seal out, or if its just overfilled and purged like no one's business.

My Cars:
        -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
        -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
        -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
        -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Since I'm past the edit time, this was one thing I mused over in a discussion on Discord...

Myself: "Since this is gonna be one of those topics I'll smartly walk away from for a little bit to get a better idea of WTF I have borked today. That said, I'll write out what's changed, and a theory I have.

So the original AOD pan came off and a 4R70W type went on. It is deeper by ~1 quart. The standard filter was swapped out for a 4WD type one as several deep pan write-ups for AOD applications recommended it. The 4WD filter uses a snorkel like the 4R70W, so it is pulling fluid from deeper down in the pan. Obviously I need to add fluid, so I started with 4 quarts, and with the car running, the fluid level did not hit the stick. Quart five hit the stick below the first dot. Quart six hit below the hash area. Quart seven got into the hashed area, then fluid party time.

With the car off, the fluid level is roughly an inch above the hashed area, after the fluid purge.

So, theory: Since the fluid pickup is now much lower (standard AOD filter doesn't live quite so deep in the pan), the dipstick is no longer accurate based on how the fluid is being pulled up from the pan. Ergo, attempting to fill the transmission into the appropriate range on the dipstick results in a massive overfill and the extra fluid pressure blows it past the seal.(edited)"

Message #tech-chat

Anyway, I'm going to sleep on it and not freak. There's an answer to the why.

My Cars:
          -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
          -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

I don't think the pan depth really has any bearing on fluid level. Yeah its deeper and it pulls from lower down, but the surface level of the fluid will be the same no matter how deep the pan is. You could potentially get by with less fluid since the pickup is down lower in the pan but that kind of defeats the point of extra capacity. Full trans with engine not running is usually an inch or so over the full mark, so thats reasonable.

not what you want to hear but I suspect you have a bad pump seal. There is a diagram in the shop manual that will tell you exactly what is bad based on precisely where inside the bellhouse the fluid is.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Oh how I'd like to drive this car again. Broke it in July last year, sent it off in December with Nick, and maybe we'll see it by spring?

Hopefully this'll be the last time I send it off on a U-Haul with transmission trouble.

I did decide to do something in the interim and ordered a Marti Report for it:

Curiously it mentions the car was optioned with aluminum wheels, however when Nick got it, it was wearing period correct wire wheel covers with steel rims. Everything else lines up with what would have been originally fitted, but has unfortunately been changed with time. Original radio was long gone on arrival, the original seats had been recovered in vinyl so they were swapped for better Lincoln seats, the leather wrap on the original wheel had been peeled off the rim, so a vinyl one was fitted, and most obvious is the repaint. Curious as to what color the accent stripes were on the hood.

If this car ever gets repainted properly, I genuinely want to do factory style pen striping with the hood and body side striping. I always thought nicely contrasting pinstripes worked well on these cars.

Can't find any information on the dealer. Building and surrounding lot looks small on Google Maps.

My Cars:

Comment

I see it was ordered for stock to the dealer. I wonder if something happened at the dealer regarding the missing wheels.
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

also interesting that it was nearly a year from order to sale date

Comment

Took 7 months or so just to get it "serialized". Maybe an issue at the factory??
                    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

I love these Marti Reports. Dealer stock, ordered WAY early. Something definitely held it up. Usually it's an option... what was new for 87? Load leveling suspension maybe?

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Why am I thinking I saw something posted around here that 1987 model year cars had issues getting the aluminum wheels, resulting in many going with steelies and wire hub caps regardless of order?

Also, considering the sale date, this car may not have even spent an entire year in PA before the original owner moved down to Charleston, SC in late '87/'88.

My Cars:

Comment

Load leveling existed in 86, at least on Lincolns.

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
                            ...I did decide to do something in the interim and ordered a Marti Report for it:

Curiously it mentions the car was optioned with aluminum wheels, however when Nick got it, it was wearing period correct wire wheel covers with steel wheels. Everything else lines up with what would have been originally fitted...
                            In 1987 there was a turbine wheel shortage. Affected customers received a credit for the wheels they ordered but didn't get.
                            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I remember a friend ordered a '87 GM but wanted the turbine wheels. He was told he would have to get the steel wheels and wire caps. Not sure what the issue was but the turbines were not available.
                              What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                              What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

My old 87 parts car was turbine equipped but it was an April 87 build. Apparently they got it figured out by then.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Working...
                                X