No announcement yet.

My 1987 Mercury Colony Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That stuff can work under the right conditions, but I tend to have an aversion to mechanic in a bottle. I think its more a case of what you expect it to do, and what it can actually do. I ran it through a vacuum line on my S10 a bunch of years ago and it completely fixed the chronic spark knock problem it had.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Went up to Nick's today. Got a few more spare bits and things, along with the tailgate. Looks like that'll be my side project. I'm going to need to strip it down, do rust repair, paint it, and put it back together. I'll probably wind up swapping a lot of the good bits from the one on the car, as it's expected the window motor is probably non-functional and the lock actuator is frozen. That'll be for a bit later, since there's still a bit of a mechanical issue.

It's still not running quite right. Nick drove it and there's a skip that's present. Runs fine on the highway still, but at 45 MPH in O/D under light throttle or during deceleration it's not running right. Idle is still kind of stupid. Not nearly as bad prior to the EGR replacement, but something is persisting. EGR code 34 returned as well.

A gas smell was noted before we took it out. I thought it might be the EVAP canister, but who knows right now. Can't see any leaky injectors visibly, but we're thinking those are likely the OE injectors with nearly 320K on them and they might be part of the odd idle issue. I'll probably wind up replacing them in the near future. I can then also clean up the upper intake since it's not the prettiest thing.

My Cars:
      -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
      -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
      -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
      -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Yah a year ago I would have advocated in favor of EGR & manifold PCV systems but when the two of them combine in the same atmosphere it leaves a nasty mess behind with whatever is in contact with it. Strictly oil vapor might not be as bad but throw in exhaust gas and you get sludgy crud.

Have you done a compression test?
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Just a quick update. Wagon is still parked with the upper intake removed. Been doing some work in the engine bay and inside. Hopefully I'll have it running again sometime next week.

I got a few things replaced/mocked up at the moment. New Gates heater hoses replaced the leaky one at the back of the engine and the temporary one I used to get home from PA. I used new hose clamps as well since it only made sense to do so. I installed the temperature sender for the aftermarket coolant gauges as well. Interior wise, I swapped out the right rear door's ash tray with the good one from the junkyard. I can finally say all of the arm rest ash tray doors in this car are actually shut. I also mocked up where I'd like the temperature gauge to go inside. This time I had no weird gauge funkiness when I tested the power to it with the sensor wire connected. I plan to wire the power source to the "on with ignition" wire for the radio. Grounding is handled by the spade grounding block under the dash.

The LSE floor mats were put in, and they fit perfectly in the floor wells. I've got to get the hook that goes in the carpet for the driver's side mat, but it should be fine for now. I do need to find some rear carpeted floor mats, and considering how cheap it is to get them from the junkyard ($1.50), that won't be hard.

Next week will be fuel injector replacement and re-installation of the upper intake manifold for stuff under the hood. I've swapped the EGR position sensor with the OE one and cleaned up my valve. I'll checking stuff with a multimeter if any weirdness starts since it's easy to do in car. Things that should be going together inside will be putting up the under dash carpeted panels.

My Cars:
          -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
          -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

After not being able to drive the wagon for a month, it finally was able to get started today.

I had a bout of stupidity and "I can do this and skip steps" and ruined the original fuel rail. I should have listened better to the advice given. So I paid the idiot tax and went searching for a replacement rail. Luckily an '89 LTD CV (the Pennsy one with Instaclear) had a great looking fuel rail and spring locks that weren't stuck at all (someone had taken care of this engine, it showed). The locks came apart like butter. Amazing. I took considerably safer steps and controlled my focus on being cautious. Instead of trying to seat the rail onto the injectors, I inserted the injectors into the rail, then aligned and inserted everything into the intake manifold.

The new fuel injectors are 14 LBS ones, just like factory, but of the 4 hole variety over the single pintle. I would have preferred to have gotten the re-manufactured Bosch ones setup like that on eBay, but they were priced kind of high, so I took a gamble on the Chinese ones with a two year warranty. Some brand no one has heard of MorePlus(?). Part number is M02B152. I had to order two sets of four, but for $100 total (~$48.99/set), it didn't seem too bad. They're listed for BMW applications, but are identical to our injectors, so they work just fine.

After the rail was back on, it was time to toss the intake back on. New vacuum hoses for PCV were used, everything else was still fresh. White is not a color I'd recommend for an intake. I need to clean mine after I touched it all over with my greasy hands.

After everything was back on, I primed it a few times. It didn't fire straight off after 10 seconds of cranking, so I stopped, and started again, and I heard the noise I wanted as cylinders started firing off again and it finally caught and idled. It was idling a lot smoother than it was before, and it didn't sound so lopey. I had swapped the EGR position sensor with the original one, and I guess that one seems to read correctly. The chugging sensation that I was dealing with in gear was absent, and everything seemed good.

I cleaned out the engine bay of tools and hit the streets. It sure feels a lot more responsive after all of this. I think the best improvement I noticed was during a WOT run. Usually it seems really labored at higher RPMs and loses speed before going into the next gear, but not now! It pulled as hard as a LoPo could through 1st, got right into second and just kept pulling past 60. Usually it would make a lot of noise at higher RPM, but not a whole lot of go to match. Also, I used to get a heavy fuel smell after a WOT run. That was absent after I did two good runs. Also, like I said earlier, it feels much more responsive and doesn't need as much pedal to get to speed.

I love driving my '97, but I've missed driving this.
            Last edited by Kodachrome Wolf; 07-28-2017, 01:40 PM.

My Cars:

Comment

A good result.
              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Just make sure you give it a good look for leaks. You'll know pretty fast if there is a problem, but you don't want to find out because it caught fire rather than seeing it.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks to everyone who helped out in my driveability issue thread, it seems most of my engine related hesitation was taken care of. I need to bump the timing up some, I think I have it retarded a few degrees out. Sure is better than before, that's for sure.

Anyway, I didn't accomplish a darn thing that I really wanted to last week, except not making it run like crap. However, Friday it did get a little bit of care; I finally washed it and changed its oil (about 120 miles overdue). I hadn't washed it since it got back from PA, and spending all that time parked meant it was covered in dust, dirt, grass, and other crap. A dull shine returned where the paint hadn't gone completely flat, and I'm okay with that. One of my friends stopped by, so we took it out on a cruise and it held up nicely.

Fresh Motorcraft 10W-30 and a Motorcraft FL-1A filter means another good 5,000 miles of motoring. I probably won't be running it about as much as it gets colder. Most of its mileage accumulated this year was on road trips out of state. It's done what station wagons do best, get loaded with passengers and luggage and take everyone comfortably to their destination.

Anyway, as it gets a bit cooler, I'll turn my focus to the replacement tailgate. While it's not the lightest thing, I was able to manhandle that thing out of the back a few weeks ago, so I can move it around somewhat. I've got it set to the side behind a shed. I figure I can get it up on some saw horses so I can address the rust in the corners and then strip it down. I want to get that done and on the car. Getting it on the car will be its own adventure, but we will cross that bridge once we get to it.

I figure once that's taken care of, I can get the windows tinted properly and I won't risk damaging the tint on the tailgate window. There's a good shop in Grovetown that can get it done at a reasonable rate with a lifetime warranty on the materials and work. That should help protect the interior some and keep the heat down a bit.

My Cars:

Comment

Glad to hear you're getting something done. I've hardly driven my car and it's just getting dirtier and uglier, bummer. Your wagon is awesome and it makes me smile to see it developing. Keep on keepin' on buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
                      Glad to hear you're getting something done. I've hardly driven my car and it's just getting dirtier and uglier, bummer. Your wagon is awesome and it makes me smile to see it developing. Keep on keepin' on buddy.
                      Thank you. Hopefully you can get back to your car and get it where you want it.

I swung by it's spot today after class and advanced the timing a few degrees and took it for a spin. I definitely had the timing retarded a bit too much. Idle in drive is much smoother and it doesn't buck doing 25 MPH in 3rd gear. Runs good, pulls good, I think we're good, at least for now.

My Cars:

Comment

have you been setting the timing with a light or just by ear? Try a light if you haven't, you might be further off than you think.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          have you been setting the timing with a light or just by ear? Try a light if you haven't, you might be further off than you think.
                          I've got to grab a light. The timing was pretty much on point when I swapped distributors since I marked the rotor position on the lower cap. The old dizzy was off a tooth and that put the TFI just about touching the hose clamp to the radiator hose. When I put the new one it, I put it further away from the clamp, but it wasn't quite right. It's running as smoothly as I recall and its driving just fine. Doesn't ping or anything like that.

My Cars:

Comment

LoL yeah, you need a light. Even if it looks like it's in the "old/right" position just tweaking by a fraction of a millimeter can change things. I've noticed that with my cars I have to overcompensate before tightening the dizzy too, that once I begin tightening that nut the timing changes a bit after. OCD problems.
                            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Spent a little bit of time out at the wagon today. Using the information from y'all regarding Tripminder installation, I got it fully functional. Luckily, the buttons aren't too hard to press and respond reasonably well.

Here's some stuff after a short trip:

The route I was taking has some fairly steep hills, which makes for funny, single digit MPG readouts. Cruising at 40 MPH in average traffic it was displaying a fairly steady 17 MPG. I'll be using the Tripminder to get a better feel for optimum speeds for MPG next time I'm on the interstate.

Getting at the wires wasn't too bad. The digital clock that was there already had the four wires for just getting power, dimming, and ground. Everything else was exactly where everyone said it would be, the speed input down by the parking brake and the fuel input connector near the driver's side hood engine/PCM area. It was laying up on top of the main harness. I'd always wondered what that connector was doing there. I thought it was for some diagnostic device I would never have.

My Cars:

Comment

That silly thing is part of why I'm so excited to get my wagon to the point of roadworthiness. It has a Tripminder lol. Nice upgrade for yours.

I want to put one in my '83, but it's factory carb. I would need that pesky "fuel flow sensor" which is virtually impossible to put one's hands on (in place of the ECM providing a fuel flow output).

Current driver: Ranger
                                Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                                | 88 TC | 91 GM
                                Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                                Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                                | Junkyards

Comment

Working...
                                X