No announcement yet.

My 1987 Mercury Colony Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've actually got a set of those stainless steel vent shades. I just need to figure out how to adjust the clips so I can get everything to fit back together nicely. I tried messing around with one for the driver's door and the window channel didn't want to press in right and the vent was loose. I probably just need to adjust those clips from the donor cars.

Box mirrors are hilariously awful. Some folks say the Aeros had small mirrors, but many have never had the comparison of having to work with a Box one. Only other Ford I've driven with smaller mirrors was a Fox Mustang. They're about as wide as our mirrors, but only have 2/3 of the height.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

As a smoker, vent windows are beautiful
      1986 Mercury Grand Marquis "5.0" (160,000)

2011 Ford Crown Victoria "4.6" (54,000)

2015 Jeep Wrangler JK Willys "3.6" (48,000)

Comment

I think a good location for sideview mirrors would be on the fenders, that way you don't have to move your eyes or head much to see what's going on alongside you.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

'Tis true, box mirrors suck donkey balls. After driving a whale for years, going to the box was a wake-up call for sure. Can't see shit out of them things. Doesn't help my rear-view mirror keeps falling off, lol. Going to use epoxy this time instead of the dumbass mirror adhesive from vatozone.

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
            Going to use epoxy this time instead of the dumbass mirror adhesive from vatozone.
            Permatex 5 Minute Epoxy. The '97 has the heavy auto-dimming type with compass functionality. That adhesive from the parts stores failed every summer. Since I used that stuff, it hasn't fallen off.

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
            I think a good location for sideview mirrors would be on the fenders, that way you don't have to move your eyes or head much to see what's going on alongside you.
            Fender mounted tow mirrors anyone?

But seriously, those fender mounted ones would be rather useful for those who tow. I plan on installing a receiver in the future since I would like to be able to tow some trailers if the need arises, and I'll likely wind up getting a pair of those.
            Last edited by Kodachrome Wolf; 04-28-2017, 12:48 PM.

My Cars:
            -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
            -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

So I assume from what I've read here that it's possible to retrofit vent windows into a door which was not originally equipped with them? This is kind of nice to know. It would be nice to have vent windows. I had them on my '96 F-150 and they were nice.
              —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
              1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
              1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
              1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

No way would I strap those ugly ass things to my car haha. I know our stuff has full boxed frames but I would only tow with a truck. I can't think of a car that has them offhand. I think they're big in Japan.
                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

hmmm.
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                  my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I tried and failed with the DIY rearview thing several times. I finally gave up and went to a local glass place and had him use whatever they use. 8 bucks, less than 10 minutes of my time and its been in place for a couple years now. When a mirror fell off the other car, I did the same thing.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Fixed the busted battery issue.

Ooops:

That was a fairly new Prestolite Group 65. Anyway, I decided to get the correct size battery and got a Group 64 through work. I've personally never encountered one before. It looks a lot like a Group 65, but is considerably narrower in width wise and is taller. The posts are also reversed, however it fits perfectly in the battery tray with no play room. A Group 56 was listed as an alternative size, but those are smaller and it would have been able to shift around.

Battery installed:

I also grabbed a aftermarket battery hold down kit from work which had a hold down bar just the right size for this battery. I may trim off some of the excess stud length for the rods, but I wanted to make sure it stays where I put it. I know the rods aren't exactly centered, but they seem to be working fine holding the battery in place. I don't need another battery damaged from shifting about. I've still got some areas where battery acid got that I need to finish cleaning up.

Anyway, it's running again. I've just got to go over all the fluids in a few days, clean the interior and exterior, and it should be ready for the long trip to Pennsylvania in June.

My Cars:

Comment

Nice. I think I have a group 65 in the Vic. Mods were needed to the battery tray to get it to fit in place.

Sorry if I missed it, but what is bringing your to PA in June?
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                          Sorry if I missed it, but what is bringing your to PA in June?
                          Ford Nationals in Carlisle. I've gone the last three years and have enjoyed it.

2014:

2015:

2016:

I'm taking the wagon this year since the Marquis still needs its body work addressed (even though the wagon needs some too ). I'll likely take the '97 next year.

My Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                            I tried and failed with the DIY rearview thing several times. I finally gave up and went to a local glass place and had him use whatever they use. 8 bucks, less than 10 minutes of my time and its been in place for a couple years now. When a mirror fell off the other car, I did the same thing.
                            Yup, my second glue job was a bigger failure than the 1st, falling off the next morning. Local glass shop charged 10 bucks. I probably spent that in fucking glue so, lesson learned.

Comment

Just so you know 90-91 wagons DO come with vent windows.I have 2 here with them. The dew wipes are the same vent window to no vent window, just trim off the piece where the vent window sits. I have lots of vent window doors and parts except for the seals, they are all dry rotted and brittle. WagonMan
                              89 Colony Park
                              90 Colony Park
                              70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

I attempted at making the car clean-ish on the exterior. Something tells me the last time this car probably got this much attention on the exterior was during the Clinton administration.

Anyway, I washed it down, took TR-3 to it, then Turtle Wax (paste type) since I wasn't going to do anything really insane with it, but just attempt to clean it up some more. I did manage to get an incredibly dull shine on the roof. I also transferred a lot of color and dirt onto my rags while polishing. The roof and hood were the worst offenders, while the sides didn't transfer much at all.

Roof (polished on left, untouched on right):

Under the carport (it got too hot not being under some cover):

Roof finished:

Everything else:

Next week I need to get the condition the seats, clean the glass on the inside, and vacuum. I just wanted to get the exterior cleaned up so that I can easily hose it down later on to remove any road grime and bugs. I may also try and polish the bumpers.

My Cars:

Comment

Working...
                                X