No announcement yet.

My 1987 Mercury Colony Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're getting power to the horns but they're not honkin', try adjusting the screw thing on them. I had that problem with my TC an Ashley's TC- bumping them sometimes "adjusts" them to open circuit. Also, my horns didn't measure within spec resistance wise. Sustained horn use of greater than 1 or 2 seconds would blow the fuse. First found that out in the middle of road trip, it also takes out cruise control when that happens.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
      If you're getting power to the horns but they're not honkin', try adjusting the screw thing on them. I had that problem with my TC an Ashley's TC- bumping them sometimes "adjusts" them to open circuit. Also, my horns didn't measure within spec resistance wise. Sustained horn use of greater than 1 or 2 seconds would blow the fuse. First found that out in the middle of road trip, it also takes out cruise control when that happens.
      Nope, no power at the horns. I definitely hooked the wires up backwards, so now the horn works.

FWIW, I popped the 20 amp horn fuse at least twice with the old relay/wiring setup fitted, and I think I know why now: The contacts were disgustingly corroded. Looked like someone had been dumping battery acid on it. Hopefully that won't be an issue ever again.

My Cars:
      -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
      -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
      -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
      -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Oh.

Yeah, the green crusties wreak havoc on things. My neighbors must've hated me while I was fiddling with the horns. They're quite obnoxious in a driveway.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Looking good!

You have plenty room to grow yet in there?
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
            Looking good!

You have plenty room to grow yet in there?
            If you mean adding much extra, not really at this point. All four relay slots are used. Horn, Headlights (Hi/Lo relays), and E-Fan are in there. Most of the traditional ATO slots are taken save for maybe four total, there's two open circuit breaker slots, and there's about five open Mega ones. It's fairly loaded up, save for really any crazy, high amp ones.

My Cars:
            -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
            -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

the +12v wire into the horn relay should connect to 30 and 85. Horn should connect to 87, the horn pad to 86.

Most of the time you can reverse 85 and 86, but not in a diode suppressed relay. Either way power has to connect to 2 pins or no honky honky.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
                If you mean adding much extra, not really at this point. All four relay slots are used. Horn, Headlights (Hi/Lo relays), and E-Fan are in there. Most of the traditional ATO slots are taken save for maybe four total, there's two open circuit breaker slots, and there's about five open Mega ones. It's fairly loaded up, save for really any crazy, high amp ones.
                I see. Same happened to me. Then I installed an additional relay box (factory two banger) and then an aftermarket one (relays and fuses) on a factory bracket that fits right behind the newer inner fender air boxes. I am good now with spares. lol

If you need more relays spots you can JY search for this factory box and bracket:

Think it may be a couple year model only thing in town cars around 1998 with a certain option.
                Last edited by 87gtVIC; 02-01-2021, 07:46 PM.
                ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Took a crack at modding the old Electronic radio.

I'm no wizard with a soldering iron, but following Gadget's video and double checking the pins on the jack, this should be configured correctly. The cable I used has two shielded pairs inside so I only had to deal with one cable run. My plan is to mount the jack inside the ashtray to the left of the cigar lighter. There's enough space to allow for it so it stays out of sight, and the aux jack can be accessed easily when its wanted. That all also assumes the radio actually turns on, and the jack properly breaks the signal with a jack inserted so you don't try to listen to two things at the same time.

Guess I need to get a connector solution done up so I can actually do the install.

My Cars:

Comment

Nice . When I got my radio and had the bug for swapping it in I was looking into those jacks. Where and which one did you purchase?
                    ~David~

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                      Nice . When I got my radio and had the bug for swapping it in I was looking into those jacks. Where and which one did you purchase?
                      eBay Audio Jack

They make different variations, but I haven’t found many that are very substantial looking, but I assume if it works properly, and if you want to hide it, appearance doesn’t matter much.

I’ve got plenty of spares. I’ll never use all ten of mine in case you want one. I’m sure I could throw a few in a padded envelope and mail them.

My Cars:

Comment

yeah they're all like that, and they're all pretty shitty. I would like to find one with screw jacks or even some sort of in-line housing but no dice. I guess I could learn how to design circuit boards and make a board to solder this to that brings the connections out to screw terminals.

so far I've just wired it up and put heat shrink over the whole mess so its protected. The one in the Continental is in the dash so its not visible anyway.

about half the time I get the inputs and the outputs backwards and it just goes quiet when plugging something in.
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

sigh

I had been under the dash the other day and noticed a radio connector chilling out near the ash tray, and I kept thinking, "Nah, it's gotta be the one being used for the radio power".

I was wrong. There's three plugs I recovered. The one on the left possibly fed the audio to the amplifier, but none of the wire colors match up in my EVTM (but that's been wrong before), the one up top is where the power for the adapter came from. The one way at the bottom has some other freaky stuff going on, but it's had many leads chopped, but appears almost identical to the one up top. No idea if its getting any power on that circuit, and I don't think it's supposed to be there. Has some noise capacitor wired into it.

I guess I might use the three slot bullet connector socket up there for 12v switched for my gauges, since right now they're vampire tapped on the same power feed on the plug adapter.

All in all, I doubt I should worry much about any of this since:
                          1.) The Premium Sound was bypass long ago by this ugly-ass rat's nest (CD player that came in the car was from 2000)
                          2.) I plan on doing a proper re-wire and aftermarket amp install, so factory stuff working beyond the head unit is not a concern
                          3.) I really only need four wires for the 12v hot, 12v switched, ground, and illumination

I just need to figure out the best way to clean this crap up, and determine if the harness that's been hacked apart is getting power at anytime, or better yet, why it exists. Someone is an imposter.

My Cars:

Comment

Little update: I tried wiring up the power to the radio... and nothing besides illumination. I used the adapter connector from the other radio and just spliced it on, so I had 12v constant, 12v switched, illumination, and I added a ground to the back of the unit to the ground wire from the adapter, just to make sure. It just didn't power up. Maybe I did something wrong, but maybe it could also be dead. Shame if it is though.

My Cars:

Comment

Try grounding the case as well.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

yeah there is often not a ground wire in the factory harness, it uses the metal clip thing. Related, make sure that and the surface is clips on to is clean otherwise you'll get random static and probably some alternator whine. Scotchbrite and a wipe of spark plug grease afterward does wonders.

Is one of those other plugs the door dinger perhaps? I seem to remember it being similar to a radio plug.

someone has definitely done some bullshit in here. Have to trace wiring to figure out whats up, and that sucks.

Comment

Working...
                                X