PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: My 1987 Mercury Colony Park

Interesting. Gonna check this out on random running cars I find.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post

There's some suction there...
    Video wont play for me but there shouldn't be any suction in a perfect world. Burnt exhaust valve confirmed. That or bent or something. How does the exhaust sound, chuffy at times? I forget if you already mentioned that. Bad Derek.
    Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    Interesting. Gonna check this out on random running cars I find.
    Yep, I'll never get burned (pun intended) by this again. I'll pull spark plugs too.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Did a little work today. It was nice to drive it again despite the engine not being all there. Definitely had to knock off the dust with a hose before I went anywhere. It needs a proper wash, but it'll have to wait.

I focused on getting the exhaust lined up, sans the over the axle portion. After reviewing how the tails line up towards the muffler, it'll be much easier to let a shop play with that, since I've been waffling about letting a guy from work give it a shot. I figure it'll just make the both of us mad trying to get stuff fitted up with minimal supplies. It'll need couplers made up to match the awkward sizing between both tail sections and the mufflers. Nothing is quite the same size. I guess that's to be expected when using junkyard parts.

I did get the down pipe squared away. When I crawled up underneath it, I found the H-pipe and the down pipe were now magically aligned, something I couldn't get straightened out last time, so that was half of the job done right there. The next issue was dealing with the stud that wouldn't stay in the exhaust manifold. I planned on using a slightly smaller diameter bolt and a nut and just dropping it through the hole, but then forgot that those replacement exhaust studs have a small lip on them to keep them seated. Luckily I was able to get the end rammed up through the hole and tightened a nut onto the few threads on the top side to keep it in place. I was then able to properly tighten the down pipe flange into place. Now the exhaust just dumps right before the rear axle. It's a bit quieter than before, but since the noise doesn't have anymore pipe to travel through, it's still rather rumbly, but that'll be sorted soon.

Maybe in the next week or so I'll try to get by the shop I used that did the '97's muffler install.

All that needs to be done is:
    -Flange Gaskets (Was not sure if I was going to get stuff fitted properly today)
    -Tail pipes installed
    -Hangers installed

If you're wondering what's holding that system up, it's mechanic's wire. Good enough to keep it in place while doing a basic fitting, terrible for long term service.

My Cars:
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (320K Miles) - The Hideaway & April 2017 POTM Winner
    -1989 Sable LS Wagon (88,710 Miles) - Sold
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (200K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 POTM Winner

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415