Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    I like the bottle cap idea.
    Nick is the one who introduced me to that little extra.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

hm, that actually should work pretty well if the sealer holds up. Basically forms an umbrella over the whole thing instead of letting water run down the rod
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I kinda did the same thing with an HEI rubber washer and rtv.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Finally finished up (for now) the radio work. Sadly, I don't think this radio will last the year due to the unreliability. It definitely needs a rebuild to some extent to make it work well. I do want to find another period correct electronic unit though (another 4 button memory type w/ or w/o cassette) or even an analog AM/FM unit.

On the flip side, all the power door locks work! Three were non-functional when I got it in 2017. Also, all the new speakers are in along with the sound deadener. Need to diagnose why the left door speaker isn't going for some reason, but it's likely either meh wiring under the dash or a short. Same goes for the fact the front windows stopped working for some reason. Gotta break out the multimeter probably tomorrow. It's definitely a bit quieter now inside. Still plenty of noise from the roof area, but the doors aren't squeaking and rattling anymore, so that's really nice.

I did swap to '90-'91 door panels with the cloth finish:

My '88-'89 vinyl type are still fine, I just wanted to see how these looked/felt.

Overall, I should have it ready for summertime driving soon...

My Cars:
          -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
          -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

I like the cloth look. Wish I pulled a set back in 09 when I had the chance. Same color and all for my two door.

Looking great.

Did you have to drill/file out square some holes for the two pegs of the speaker pods on the 90/91 pod to fit into the door?
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Is the only difference on '90-'91 vs earlier door panels that speaker grille? I want to learn, I want to know it all! All the little things! All the things!
              I don't mind my door panels but I've seen those super ornamental ones which are really cool.
              1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
              1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

IIRC... That speaker housing was the premium sound door speaker. 88-91 also had the option of a door pocket when the normal sound system with dash speakers was used.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Standard sound system '90-'91 had those speaker housing pods. Premium had the same pods with a "Premium Sound" emblem on them in the spot where the standard sound pods had "Stereo" stamped. The optional door pockets were probably not an option starting in '90 because of the new speaker pod design. Dash speakers went away in '90 and you only got the door speakers.
                  Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                  ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                  ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                  ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by Arquemann View Post
                    Is the only difference on '90-'91 vs earlier door panels that speaker grille? I want to learn, I want to know it all! All the little things! All the things!
                    I don't mind my door panels but I've seen those super ornamental ones which are really cool.
                    Another thing to keep in mind is on cars with vent windows, the first 11 inches of the dew wipe is cut off for the vent window assembly. If you find a set of used door panels and they have been cut, they won't work for a car without vent windows. WagonMan
                    89 Colony Park
                    90 Colony Park
                    70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                      I like the cloth look. Wish I pulled a set back in 09 when I had the chance. Same color and all for my two door.

Looking great.

Did you have to drill/file out square some holes for the two pegs of the speaker pods on the 90/91 pod to fit into the door?
                      So one of the two upper holes for the pegs are already present, at least on an early '87 car. I did trim off the other peg though since I wasn't drilling a large hole like that. The little clip end of the peg was kinda tired on both, so I shimmed them with a piece of paper between the tabs, so they latched well. I did have to drill two small holes for the screws at the bottom. Overall, they fit nicely and don't move around/rattle, so I'm good with that.

Originally posted by WagonMan View Post
                      Another thing to keep in mind is on cars with vent windows, the first 11 inches of the dew wipe is cut off for the vent window assembly. If you find a set of used door panels and they have been cut, they won't work for a car without vent windows. WagonMan
                      I had to trim these since I don't think vent windows were available after '89. That said, this wasn't a factory vent window car though. The biggest tell is proper vent window cars have some extra bolts on the exterior of the door frame along the A-Pillar, but that wasn't done when these were swapped in (not a fan of having to drill a bunch of extra holes), however I haven't had any issues with them being fitted like that. They fit snugly in the channel and are retained with a single bolt in a factory location within the door itself.

So two things happened today: 1.) The driver's window came back to life along with the speaker. Didn't do anything, it just worked this morning when I left for work, and was still going when I went home. Weird, but okay. Passenger side doesn't go, so still gotta test that; 2.) The radio doesn't like the heat. It'll work for a minute or two, and then it's out. Doesn't matter how much you fiddle with it, it won't go. Shame since it looks kinda neat, but I like my tunes, so I'll have to find a replacement.

My Cars:

Comment

Door panels look nice. Sad news on the radio. I was hoping it would get ironed out and work. On high mileage vehicles, I have seen the wires break in the door jamb. Sometimes they have enough contact to work, other times not. Might be something to check.
                        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

You could have the radio rebuilt. Finding a good used without any problems is getting harder to find. I have allot of radios. I used to be able to test them as I used to have the connectors. Would be nice to get rid of these radios.I just hate to sell something I am not sure works right.

Comment

The wagon has temporarily lost its garage space while I'm working on this '99 CV, so it gave me an excuse to drive it. It started kinda funny in the morning and the engine bogged down before it caught back up, and it did it right as the A/C compressor engaged. Ran fine to work. Fired it up to go home for lunch, and everything was cool until I was turning into the neighborhood and the AMP light came on. I pull into the driveway and break out the multimeter and I catch a whiff of overcharging battery.

Damn alternator is putting out 19.6V! I just installed a brand new one a few months ago. I'm wondering if that voltage was enough to get the AMP light to illuminate since it wasn't as bright as KOEO. Anyway, that's gonna be a warranty swap. Might get a replacement this weekend, so I'm just cruising the '97.

Also, totally unrelated, I checked the ECU for codes a few weeks ago and the EGR and VSS were coding out for no activity. Dumb question, but does a '88+ Mark VII ECU need a VSS+/- feed piped to it to make the EGR work properly? If it does, I'll grab a ECU pin out, get some donor pins, and go tap the VSS feed and get that going to make it happy.

My Cars:

Comment

Yes. I don't know why exactly, but the EGR doesn't work right with no VSS on an 88+ ECM.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                                Yes. I don't know why exactly, but the EGR doesn't work right with no VSS on an 88+ ECM.
                                Cool, that's what I need to know. I guess I'll find a harness at the junkyard next time and steal some pins from one unless someone has a EEC-IV connector laying around.

Went to check the alternator situation, and that sumbitch dead. Battery registered 0.13v, so that alternator is definitely shorted out. Guess I'll haul that stuff to work tomorrow and get replacements. If this happens again with the alternator, I'll likely go back to a 3G unit. I only find it surprising that it's not playing nice here, despite the fact I've 6G swapped the '97 from its factory 3G and its been very reliable.

My Cars:

Comment

Working...
                                X