My 1987 Mercury Colony Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not the original door I see..
    Another thing which helps the A/C loads is using special window tint. I had mine done a few years back. Was spendy but sure keeps the heat of the sun's rays out and once the car cools down I can run the a/c at lower fan speeds & still keep it cold.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
      Not the original door I see..
      Another thing which helps the A/C loads is using special window tint. I had mine done a few years back. Was spendy but sure keeps the heat of the sun's rays out and once the car cools down I can run the a/c at lower fan speeds & still keep it cold.
      Original door, just not original paint on most of it. The color you see behind the panel was the factory color.

I intend on getting the windows re-tinted later on.

My Cars:
      -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
      -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
      -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
      -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
        Original door, just not original paint on most of it. The color you see behind the panel was the factory color.

I intend on getting the windows re-tinted later on.
        Oooh, well that explains that. New color much better than factory color.

I love this tint but I wish I could buy glass that already has the tint sandwiched in like factory done stuff. It's very delicate and requires special cleaners.

Comment

Something was off when I tried in my 89 so I gave up and continued using the full window. Oh well.
          89 was last year for vent windows.

Nice work!
          -Nick M.
          Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
          03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Good info on 90-91 not having vent windows as an option. I know I've seen 88 and 89 with vent windows in the JY, but even those are less common compared to 87 and older.
            Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
            ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
            ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Nice work. Vent windows are handy in the summer and just cruising around.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                Aux fan is a good idea, but just making sure the fan clutch is good helps a lot.
                Is there a way to install one that is least intrusive to the factory wiring harness? There's a nice Flex-a-Lite kit but, there's so much hacking into the factory wiring that I really don't want it.
                1993 Ford F-150 Flareside - July 2010 - August 2013
                2004 Ford Mustang - September 2013 - February 2018
                1987 Mercury Colony Park GS - August 2015 - Present
                2018 VW Golf GTI - February 2018-February 2021 (was a lease)
                2003 EZGO TXT - March 2015 - May 2019 (it's road legal!)

2019 VW Golf Alltrack company provided April 2019 - Present
                2012 Fiat 500 5 speed - January 2021-Present
                2003 Audi A6 Allroad 6 speed July 2021-Present

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                  I plan to do exactly that to my 90. Vent windows are a must.
                  Me too. I have all the parts to do the change over on the 90 CV. I may have a glass shop do the job though. How many hours the change over take ?

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                    Me too. I have all the parts to do the change over on the 90 CV. I may have a glass shop do the job though. How many hours the change over take ?
                    It took me about two and a half hours to do this job. The time was extended a bit by having to stop and get bolts from the store, then come back. The process is rather straight forwards once you get going.

My Cars:
                    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Originally posted by longroof87 View Post
                      Is there a way to install one that is least intrusive to the factory wiring harness? There's a nice Flex-a-Lite kit but, there's so much hacking into the factory wiring that I really don't want it.

Depends what you're looking to do. If its just to run with the AC, you'd have to tap out of the feed to the compressor somehow. That signal would have to drive a relay, and you'd need power and ground. At a minimum you're tapping a wire into the stock harness though, no real way around it.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I love my vent windows. Nice work. Interesting note, on my friends '83 Crown Vic tudor, the vent windows are the "twist knob" on door style instead of just the handle on the glass. Its cool but I personally don't like it in a practical sense. They take forever to screw open and closed. His car also has the horn on a stalk on the steering column. Strange year.

Nice work on the cluster lighting. Did you use LEDs for it? I had LEDs in my cluster for a bit but ended up changing them back to the stock bulbs because it ended up just being too bright at night.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

The knob is probably there to keep gorillas from smudging the glass with their grimy fingers. Even that doesn't always work. A perfectly good handle could be supplied yet people still push on the glass... I don't know who thought placing the horn on a stalk was a good idea but it didn't return to the center of the steering wheel until '85.

Comment

Ventshades work so much better with vent windows. I had the knob style on my 82 and the regular handle style on the 88. Neither got/get opened. No leaks and no window noise says leave them shut. Mirror location looks wonky without vent windows too.
                            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                              Ventshades work so much better with vent windows. I had the knob style on my 82 and the regular handle style on the 88. Neither got/get opened. No leaks and no window noise says leave them shut. Mirror location looks wonky without vent windows too.
                              Which is why I would love to have 79/80 doors on any future box I get. I much prefer those mirrors.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

box mirrors are bad, Ford/Mercury box mirrors are horrid. The placement is wrong, and they're too small besides. The Lincoln mirrors are further forward, so not as terrible but still small. Curious if the 79 mirrors are less useless since they sit a little more forward.
                                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                                X