PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: My 1987 Mercury Colony Park

Southern

I think I ran it through the local car wash a couple of times.

Quote Originally Posted by TecNickal View Post
    I think I ran it through the local car wash a couple of times.
    I've done the same thing. I took it through an automatic one once and didn't do it again because the window seals at the time were letting water in. I been going to those DIY ones and never used high pressure water around the windows. I do know I need to install the passenger front door seal, since there is a small drip from the forward top side of the door.

FWIW, I've just never actually hand washed it nor tried waxing it.

My Cars:
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (315K Miles) - The Hideaway & April 2017 POTM Winner
    -1989 Sable LS Wagon (88,710 Miles) - Sold; Restoration Under Way
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (180K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 POTM Winner

What is TR-3?

For anyone else looking into making there car shine after a number years of it not, please clay bar the car first. It will lift all contaminants off the paint allowing the paint to shine even more so after you do your compounding, polishing and waxing. Plus it ensures you are not compounding crud into your paint thus causing scratches.

I really want a wagon. Looking mighty good.
    ~David~ Click the Pic for the Low Down on the Vic...SERIOUSLY I DEMAND YOU!

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar
    Land of the Greasy Hair and Orange Biyatches

So clean! I'm jealous of both cars. Very nice!!!

Are your bumpers both chrome plated? My front is chrome but the rear is anodized aluminum. I was able to use a clear "polish" which really seems more like paint on my rear aluminum bumper to make it quite shiny. It had turned a dull white.

I don't think many Owners polished the long roofs. On my 88, someone had buffed the hood and sides but left the top. I repainted the hood and sides, but the top is still a 1993ish respray. I water sanded the top and hand polished about seven years ago, followed by a six month waxing interval. Yours is looking a bit thin for sanding though.
    Last edited by Tiggie; 05-19-2017 at 07:34 PM.
    1988 Crown Vic Wagon - daily
    1990 Country Squire - yard ornament (save me please)
    Other: 95 Ranger, 74 F250, 68 Mustang, 94 Mustang
    Sold: 1982 LTD and 1987 Crown Vic

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Only so much you can do with the polished aluminum unfortunately. It gets chalky. All of the rest of the trim on these cars is anodized aluminum. I believe you can chemically strip the anodizing off and polish it but if you don't clear coat it or do something similar to seal it, it'll get real bad real quick.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body, 246k and counting

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    What is TR-3?

For anyone else looking into making there car shine after a number years of it not, please clay bar the car first. It will lift all contaminants off the paint allowing the paint to shine even more so after you do your compounding, polishing and waxing. Plus it ensures you are not compounding crud into your paint thus causing scratches.

I really want a wagon. Looking mighty good.
    TR-3 is something branded as a Resin Glaze. Apparently a cleaner and polish, it's supposed to help remove oxidation and restore shine. It says to rub onto the panels, then wipe off. The rags I was using on the hood and roof turned black and brown while using that. It had a sticker on top that says 'NOT FOR CLEAR COATS', however it mentions it could be used on clear coat cars on the back . I only used it since the wagon doesn't appear to be cleared.

When I'm doing a proper detail job, the clay bar is used. I didn't do it here simply because while I wanted the car clean, but expending the extra effort on toast paint wasn't worth it. Probably could have done it on the side panels, but I digress.

Also, thanks! It's been really solid since I got it from Nick. The only real hiccup was that TFI module, but nothing more than that. I still love driving it even if it isn't the prettiest car out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggie View Post
    Are your bumpers both chrome plated? My front is chrome but the rear is anodized aluminum. I was able to use a clear "polish" which really seems more like paint on my rear aluminum bumper to make it quite shiny. It had turned a dull white.

I don't think many Owners polished the long roofs. On my 88, someone had buffed the hood and sides but left the top. I repainted the hood and sides, but the top is still a 1993ish respray. I water sanded the top and hand polished about seven years ago, followed by a six month waxing interval. Yours is looking a bit thin for sanding though.
    Front is chrome, rear is aluminum.

There is a lot of roof to cover! Probably why no one did it, but it wouldn't be that bad on solid paint. My roof has splotches missing. This stuff looks like single stage, but there's gray areas like primer exposed. The black squares are irrelevant, those are from where the old roof rack rails went when the holes were sealed. When you look at where some of the respray has peeled off, you can see the original Sand Beige. In some other areas, it looks like there was a few layers done, so I have no idea what's really under there.

Eventually a repaint will be in order, but that's way down the road and have no problem working with what I currently have on there. I am curious as to when it did get repainted, since it definitely was done by the first owner some time before Nick got it.

FWIW, this was the roof in 2013:

The area that has turned really gray is that area on the front right side, but it looks like it had been doing that for a while. I'm just chalking it up to exposure coupled with thin paint. It's no big deal though.

My Cars:
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (315K Miles) - The Hideaway & April 2017 POTM Winner
    -1989 Sable LS Wagon (88,710 Miles) - Sold; Restoration Under Way
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (180K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 POTM Winner

Hop on Amazon, get some decent Lake Country pads, and a Harbor Freight DA polisher.

Meguairs 105/205 combo, with some good pads would make.short work of that, and could probably bring that roof back to a shine.

Car looks great though

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567