Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TecNickal View Post
    Any codes if you scan for them?
    Haven't done anything code related yet. When I got back to GA after the trip, my primary concern was grabbing the '97 and going after I parked it since it was getting late. I'll check for codes this week, probably Wednesday since I'll have some time available in the morning. I just need to remember where I stuck my test light. I can also grab my tools and pull the plugs to get an idea of how they look. The plugs don't seem terrible to get at, I just need to remove some of that air cleaner assembly on the driver's side.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

check for loose spark wires. I've had some jump off plugs because of getting put on when cold out. There was enough air expansion to pop one off.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Pulled codes 34 and 67. I'm checking plugs right now.

My Cars:
        -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
        -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Code 67 is probably because you had the AC on during the self test.

Code 34 is something to do with the EVR, EVP or EGR.

If vacuum is good to the EVR and EGR, then suspect either a failing EVR, or the EVP is saying that the EGR is not fully closing. May need to be removed and cleaned. Carbon loosening up...
          -Nick M.
          Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
          03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Yanked a plug from the passenger side rear bank. Greeted with a copper core Autolite 2545. Looks like there's no suspicious fowling on the plug.

However, it does look like the gap is a bit wide, unless that seems about right for .050. I didn't bring my feeler gauge, so I'll check next time. I think however it might just be time to change the plugs and wires. I'm considering using Autolite AP5145 plugs, which are the full thread variant that superseded the 2545 line. I'm thinking a platinum plug will be nice to use since they last longer than copper plugs and this car isn't being driven like a race car normally.

Inspection of the cap and rotor indicated nothing out of the normal.

Code 67 is probably because you had the AC on during the self test.

Code 34 is something to do with the EVR, EVP or EGR.

If vacuum is good to the EVR and EGR, then suspect either a failing EVR, or the EVP is saying that the EGR is not fully closing. May need to be removed and cleaned. Carbon loosening up...
            A/C was on. I'm kicking myself right now because I did a KOEO test, but not a KOER test.

My Cars:

Comment

Yah those plugs are done but look great, no oil fouling. Try pulling the one closest to the driver's side firewall and see what it looks like.
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

done? nah... plenty of life left. Bend the gap back down a little and run another 30K.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Zach now I'm puzzled. I could have sworn I put Motorcraft platinums in that wagon.

But now I have vague recolection I may have put Autolite coppers in there, or those plugs came with the wagon. I know I did Motorcraft wires at least. Too many dang cars to keep track of - that's why I have a binder that I write stuff down in now so I can keep better track of things. The 89, 90 are the thickest binders lol

Sorry if there was any misleading by me.
                  -Nick M.
                  Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
                  03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Zach now I'm puzzled. I could have sworn I put Motorcraft platinums in that wagon.

But now I have vague recolection I may have put Autolite coppers in there, or those plugs came with the wagon. I know I did Motorcraft wires at least. Too many dang cars to keep track of - that's why I have a binder that I write stuff down in now so I can keep better track of things. The 89, 90 are the thickest binders lol

Sorry if there was any misleading by me.
                    It's all good Nick. I figured it would be a good idea to ask regarding the plugs. The wires definitely don't look old, just a little grungy from being in the engine bay. I think I'll just change the plugs for now, and inspect the EGR if the idle doesn't smooth out following the plug change.

My Cars:

Comment

I'm not overly in love with platinum plugs. I've run them before, and honestly got anywhere from no benefit to it ran worse. Basic Motorshaft copper plugs seem to be the winner in these.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

My 1987 Mercury Colony Park

And don't run copper on coil pack ignition. Found that out the hard way.
                        1993 Ford F-150 Flareside - July 2010 - August 2013
                        2004 Ford Mustang - September 2013 - February 2018
                        1987 Mercury Colony Park GS - August 2015 - Present
                        2018 VW Golf GTI - February 2018-February 2021 (was a lease)
                        2003 EZGO TXT - March 2015 - May 2019 (it's road legal!)

2019 VW Golf Alltrack company provided April 2019 - Present
                        2012 Fiat 500 5 speed - January 2021-Present
                        2003 Audi A6 Allroad 6 speed July 2021-Present

Comment

or coil on plug. Need plats for that.

Comment

The '97 only gets double platinum thanks to that waste spark setup.

So on the '87, would it just be reasonable to use copper spark plugs over the platinum plugs? I usually use platinum plugs simply for the purpose of longevity and most new applications take them anyway.

My Cars:

Comment

Yes, copper is what they called for and like best. Conducts electricity better than platinum anyway. I really think you can squeeze more than 30k out of 'em too as my car had 20+ years and 86k miles on it's original wires & plugs. You should have seen all the aluminum oxide under that dizzy cap and such.
                              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Copper it is then. I'll probably grab Motorcraft copper plugs; if not those, Autolites.

Is there any torque specifications I should be aware about for the spark plugs going into the heads? I'm used to very low torque ratings on the 4.6 engines to prevent over-tightening since spark plugs don't need some Hulk-spec tightening on aluminum heads. Would I be safe just to stay in the 7 to 15 FT-LBS range when tightening?

My Cars:

Comment

Working...
                                X