No announcement yet.

My 1987 Mercury Colony Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never bothered to hook back up because I belive the TB and EGR gaskets were bad - blowing out coolant. I did clean the ports - they were clogged when I bought it. Capped em to keep crap out.
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
    03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Yah, good luck getting the gaskets not to leak. Sometime in January I found out that's where my leak was and why I was losing a small amount of coolant over time. It leaked at the bottom and was dripping on the valve cover. Engine was also ingesting some as you could see the tiny clean path where coolant was being sucked in the intake. I had to tighten the four bolts way beyond the original spec of 1 ugga-dugga to probably 3 or 5. Was afraid I'd crack the ears of the TB or strip the bolt/stud and lucky enough it doesn't leak now. Maybe RTV is the secret there but I'm a big fan of letting the gasket do it's job. Spent tons of time cleaning the mating surfaces too and did the EGR spacer gasket as well. It helped my idle some too but not by a huge amount.

Peeps talk about disabling the EGR "Heater" but I think the real reason Ford put that there was to keep things cool during extended EGR operation like highway cruising. For around town driving you'll see cooler intake temps without the "Heater" but on freeway runs I'm willing to wager that would change. However, if you don't have EGR then you don't need the "heater."
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

The gasket for that water jacket was the bane of my existence for quite a while on my '91. I replaced it no less than 4 times in the course of a few months.

Finally I had enough, took it apart, cleaned it till it shined, and coated a new gasket in Permatex ultra copper gasket sealer spray. Hasn't leaked since and it's been a couple years. The spray ended up being the answer.

That gasket is an excellent candidate for Felpro to come up with some "improved design" for, since the thin paper crap doesn't seem to do much.

Current driver: Ranger
        Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
        | 88 TC | 91 GM
        Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
        Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
        | Junkyards

Comment

Hmm, I'll invest in some of that spray for the next time or a thermostat gasket job, those are usually a PITA too.

Comment

Well, I may look into hooking that setup back up someday in the future, but for now, I think it'll stay bypassed. Operation hasn't seemed affected by it for the whole time I've had it.

I should have the EGR valve off this evening. I've got some work to do on that side of town, so it'll be easy to stop by and snatch it off. Curious to see how it looks inside.

My Cars:
            -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
            -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
            -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
            -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

my 88 has had the EGR cooler/intake heater bypassed for at least 5 years. I'd have to find the post I made to know exactly how long. I've had NO issues with the car running on highway cruise for any length of time. Of course, the longest trip I've made with that car was about 5 hours round trip to get the trailer I have now. With the original cooling system, It got pretty warm lugging that thing with the brake shoes seized in place. This didn't keep the thing from rolling, but it did create some light drag on the brakes on the trailer. Still have no issues with the EGR or intake leaks. I have since upgraded the cooling system to an HD radiator though, so there's that. Engine doesn't get as warm any more.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yanked the EGR valve off. Didn't look too bad. The little piston seems to move freely.

Went a little crazy and attempted to remove the EGR spacer, but that seems well stuck with the upper intake. Passage way on the bottom has a fair amount of carbon build up I'm going to try and clear out tomorrow. I've got to stop by the parts store and grab a new throttle body gasket and EGR valve gasket.

Inspection photos (Intake Side):

*Before spraying with cleaner

*Sprayed and wiped upon some

*After cleaner dried

*Intake Port Side

EGR Valve Inspection Photos:

I've got to clean off the gasket material a bit better on the intake and the valve. I'm going to try and knock out the carbon from the bottom port of the EGR since it seems to have a great deal built up. The dampness inside of the intake is from the cleaner spray going through the upper port. I'm going to try and clean the carbon away from that port as well tomorrow when I get out there in the morning.

I figure clearing out all the carbon in the ports should help.

My Cars:
                -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Yeah she looks boogered. Clean that carbon build up like you plan on doing and then clean up where that pintle sits/rests in the EGR valve, looks all crudded up and bent? Not sure the little wooby on the tip matters though.

Reason you can't get the spacer off is they put steel studs in an aluminum intake... Advance 20+ years and you get some nice corrosion that locks everything in place. Had to use a 2x4 and BFH to get mine off. Can only imagine that with a typical Michigan car you'd just have to get another manifold & such altogether.

Comment

You'll want to push open the pintle and use a wire brush and cleaner to get the seat where thenpintle pushes against to close tight.

I usually use a plastic handle to push pintle down while shoving a pipe cleaner in there to clean carbon deposits. Another test can be to aim pintle up, soak area in like carb cleaner and see if it seeps through. If it stays full -'you're good!
                    -Nick M.
                    Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
                    03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Cleaned the EGR inlets and EGR valve. Idle still seems a bit rough. Low RPM operation still doesn't feel as smooth as it should be, but normal acceleration and cruising feels normal. The exhaust manifold leak sounds worse than normal. I wonder if that may be affecting back pressure and affecting how the engine runs.

My Cars:

Comment

KOEO - 34
                        KOER - 34, 44, 94

44 and 94 would be related to smog. Pump is disabled, so still an EGR issue.

My Cars:

Comment

34 means its either got a nugget and it isn't fully closed, or the sensor is wanky. If you can verify it is fully closed, pull the sensor off and file the end of it down slightly. Also if the O ring under the sensor is crushed, that can cause it too.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                            34 means its either got a nugget and it isn't fully closed, or the sensor is wanky. If you can verify it is fully closed, pull the sensor off and file the end of it down slightly. Also if the O ring under the sensor is crushed, that can cause it too.
                            I'll try that then.

It's just so odd feeling. It sounds like it has a mild cam at idle (regardless of park or drive), and feels like its chugging. If it shifts into 2nd at 25 and you gently give it gas, it's just a "buck-buck-buck-buck" sensation. The only thing I can relate that feeling to is trying to keep the car moving while the TFI was failing. However, giving it regular throttle off the line and driving at regular speeds the thing feels like it's running normally.

The exhaust leak around the passenger side manifold really sounds different than normal. It's louder and the exhaust smell is stronger.

Gah! Both of my cars are working to give me little frustrations to keep dealing with.

My Cars:

Comment

After trying a few of the other suggestions, I broke down and bought a replacement EGR valve and sensor from work for about $90. Everything is BWD brand with a limited lifetime warranty. I would have gone for Motorcraft, but the valve was $243 through work with my price!

Anyway...

Disconnected the battery while I took the old one off. New gaskets for everything were included with the replacement valve. Mounted everything up, hooked up the battery, and fired it up. Runs reasonably smooth now. Idle doesn't seem so lopey and the studder/bucking sensation with light throttle at low speed is non-existent.

Well, that fixes the most glaring issue I've been having with the '87. The '97 is the main focus for repairs over the next few weeks.

All I have to say is both of my cars make up for a real weird love/hate relationship. Love them when they're working, wanna crush/sell them when they're not, but I couldn't never bring myself to do either.

My Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
                                ...All I have to say is both of my cars make up for a real weird love/hate relationship. Love them when they're working, wanna crush/sell them when they're not, but I couldn't never bring myself to do either.
                                This. Town Car is running flawlessly now. I forget who I bickered with about not putting Seafoam in the oil but I was wrong about that. TC no longer has valve train noise after that.

Comment

Working...
                                X