PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: My 1987 Mercury Colony Park

Day 1: Stripped some stuff off the engine

Since TecNickal has had some stuff off before, most of the bolts have been butter. The two hoses going to the water pump are being replaced as they're starting to look questionable. Throttle body linkage got swapped around, so the HO upper intake is ready.

Wonder why Ford added the threaded ports on the HO intakes for the PCV but left that off the LoPo intakes?

Anyway, tomorrow we're going to yank the upper intake, and hopefully the heads. Should be fun. Maybe we can also get most of it put back together with no extra bits!

My Cars:
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 POTM Winner
    -1989 Sable LS Wagon (88,710 Miles) - Sold
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (210K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Dude.. There is no better time to throw that HO or explorer stick in...
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    Dude.. There is no better time to throw that HO or explorer stick in...
    If I had one available, that would have been on the table, however that wasn't the case. At least the supporting stuff will be in place should that ever happen.

Day 2: Took more stuff off, put some stuff back on, and I didn't photograph the latter.

So the cut wire and bungled up looking one seem to run into the harness for the O2 sensors. When the passenger side head came off, we didn't realize there was that wire on the back, and hovering the stupid head in place wasn't happening long, so we just snipped it. The bungled up looking one appears someone already messed with something for that to exist the way it did. It was attached to the stud for the heater pipe. If those are grounds, they'll just get combined on a single ring terminal and get grounded appropriately.

Also, the pièce de résistance, the whole reason we're here:

That ain't a burnt valve, it managed to suck it in. No compression, no combustion, dead cylinder.

Anyway, we did get started putting the engine back together. E7 heads installed with FelPro 9333PT gaskets torqued to spec. All push rods and rocker arms reinstalled and torqued. Exhaust manifolds bolted back on. Unfortunately we got rained out as we were planning on doing the lower intake manifold. Rain + Immediate Sun = Hellish Humidity.

Sunday evening we're going to pick up doing the work since I've got to do some work on my aunt's car on Saturday.

All that's really left is:
    -Install lower intake manifold
    -Install valve covers
    -Install upper intake manifold
    -Install distributor + wires
    -Reattach all front accessories
    -Reattach fan and shroud
    -Get all fluids checked out

Sounds like a lot, but it's mostly just tossing bolts back into place. Maybe Sunday we can finally take it out for a rip if we get everything done.

My Cars:
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (210K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Is that some factory sticker/note on the transmission when viewed from above?

Yes. These do just kinda toss themselves back together. Pretty basic and straightforward to get it up and running again from this point on.

Oh and how does a valved get sucked into the head past its seat?
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

how the f did the valve end up on the other side of the seat?

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    Ha ha ha this is a good question ! is somthing is broken on the top of the head ? rocker arm or something like that ?
    1987 Colony Park LS wagon
    1988 Grand marquis LS sedan

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    Is that some factory sticker/note on the transmission when viewed from above?
    Looks just to be some writing from the transmission shop. AFAIK, Nick had the transmission rebuilt around 307K when it stopped going forwards. Just seems to have some date and whoever was doing the work.

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    Oh and how does a valved get sucked into the head past its seat?
    Magic?

I figure it may have something to do with how hard it was being driven at the time things stopped working right, yet I'm sure police 302s experienced more thrashing in their life, so I haven't a clue. Push rods were straight on cylinder 1, and the valve spring action appeared normal. Nothing seemed out of place on the top. The guy who wants these to tear down might be able to give a post mortem of what's happening inside, but I'm not tearing into them.

My Cars:

I wonder if they reused the original valves when the engine was rebuilt (IIRC it was rebuilt before?)?
    1988 Crown Vic Wagon - daily
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, former lawn ornament
    Other: 95 Ranger, 74 F250, 68 Mustang, 94 Mustang
    Sold: 1982 LTD and 1987 Crown Vic

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

You might want to pull those lifters and inspect them and cam lobes for damage just in case.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

You might want to pull those lifters and inspect them and cam lobes for damage just in case.
    That can be done. Only the heads are mounted right now, so we still have access. I know several months ago I popped off the valve cover and checked the action of everything up top, everything moved freely and appeared to be normal, but clearly appearances haven’t meant a thing at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggie View Post
    I wonder if they reused the original valves when the engine was rebuilt (IIRC it was rebuilt before?)?
    Makes you wonder. The old heads were showing signs of corrosion/seepage around the front freeze plugs. There were Dorman replacements on the backs. Since it is believed to have gotten a remanned engine at 284K (or around that), it had to have been short block with rotating assembly only, meaning there were a lot of old, high mileage components reused. Cross hatching looks good, nothing freaky going on with the pistons, save for some carbon build up on cylinder 1 from being sprayed with gas and such but never firing.

My Cars:

Southern

My local transmission shop rebuilt the transmission because it had a severely bad slip for second year and would not go into first unless I forced it with the shifter. Something happened with the valve body. He put in a used valve body he had in his parts stash. I think I paid eight bills to have it rebuilt with a new torque converter. And a towing upgrade on some servo from an F1 50. Both the engine and transmission we’re jasper units around the 250,000 mile mark I bought the car with a little over 300,000 miles.

Good job on fixing it Zach. Hope you have it up and running soon
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

1966 Ford Country Squire - 6.4L 390 2bbl/C6 - ~85K miles
    1989 Mercury Colony Park LS - 302 V8- 188K miles.
    1990 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 302 V8- 102K miles.
    2003 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series 3x - (42K, 79K-totaled, 222k)

F150 OD band servo - 2 inch OD band as well to make that work. The AOD in the Mad Marquis has that upgrade. Excellent upgrade.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Day 3: Not quite done, but ran out of light, however it does run.

I wanted to get the timing set at a minimum, so we just temporarily jammed on the coil bracket and propped up the alternator bracket to stay clear of the harmonic balancer and pulley. Fired off with ease and got base timing set at 10*° BTDC. Ran it for only about 45 seconds since 1.) There isn't any coolant circulating, 2.) It's about a quart low on oil, 3.) The charging system isn't hooked up.

Plans are to finish up with the front accessories on Tuesday, then iron out any issues. Probably need to pop off the valve covers and recheck lash as there was a slight tick from one side, but it could have been an exhaust leak too, but just to be sure. The engine does need to be brought up to operating temperature so I can re-torque the lower intake manifold bolts. We're also going to change the oil with fresh 10W-30 to get any contaminants and such out.

All the fresh stuff and some of the lubricants used to get a few bolts free definitely make for some great smoke and smells, but it's runs on all eight again.

My Cars:

I'm anxious to see how it runs with HO stuff sans HO cam. You work fast. Tempts me to buy another panther and do stuff like that. I'd feel bad about opening up the Town Car.

Approaching 2 decades of DDing Box Panthers VicCrownVic's Avatar

I'm anxious to see how it runs with HO stuff sans HO cam. You work fast. Tempts me to buy another panther and do stuff like that. I'd feel bad about opening up the Town Car.
    Time to get a beater panther! I don't feel bad about any of the hack... I mean upgrades that I do.
    Vic

~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, summer DD
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon - wannabe winter DD - I'll fix it eventually
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "The Ice Car" - My rotting winter DD
    ~ 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Rotting Retired DD
    Gone but not forgotten:
    ~ 1988 Country Squire ~ 1987 Ford Crown Vic

LoL I'm seriously tempted. Ash was talking about wanting a '90 TC this past weekend. Suppose if I could stumble upon a clean one for $2,000 or less we could be tempted. Although an F100 might make it's way under our wing. TBD.....

I'm anxious to see how it runs with HO stuff sans HO cam.
    It seemed to idle rather smooth while setting the timing, however it was still in fast idle since it was cold. I really want to see where it falls once it can go to normal idle.

I figure it should run like a LoPo, but with slightly better throttle response and a bit more off the line punch. Obviously we will all know once we get everything done.

My Cars:

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I put Trickflow aluminum cylinder heads, Edelbrock intake and a JET stage one chip on my Fireturd and that's what I noticed. Pulls real well from idle to mid, seems to run lean beyond that. Doesn't run so great in open loop if you're "punchy" with the throttle. Needs a real tune.

I wouldn't expect much change on the bottom, but it shouldn't run out of power at the top end quite as fast. A lot of it will still be determined by the cam and intake though. Not sure what the chamber volume difference is, but its possible an E7 is good for a very slight bump in compression.

Got the front all buttoned up, filled with coolant, and we've got one last snare to slow us down.

So, on firing it up today, we got a funky, intermittent knock that would occur. I suspect that was from the lack of coolant in the block because it disappeared once the temperature gauge started going up. However, the engine started shaking real bad as if a misfire was present. Pushed on all the wires while it was running and it smoothed out a bit. You can rev it up and it doesn't break up, but trying to drive it there's no power with the accelerator floored, and you can get it to back fire a bit. If you try driving normally it seems to accelerate normally, if only a bit sluggish. I may need to grab a code scanner and do a cylinder balance test. If it's misfiring, it's not as obvious as the dead cylinder issue was.

Current suspects:
    -Wires and plugs
    -Throttle position sensor
    -Distributor clocking

My thought with the plugs and wires is that while the wires are "new", they didn't seem to really click on to the plugs well after having been taken off and put on several times. Might explain a possible misfire. The plugs are Autolite 25s, however I may swap them for good measure. They allegedly have 6K on them, but that's all I know.

The TPS had to be swapped from the other throttle body. It may not be zeroed out so when the throttle is depressed, throttle position may not be lining up with what expected engine load should be, especially at WOT.

With the distributor, it was set to 10° BTDC with SPOUT out, however it is clocked a bit differently than before. I'm not sure if that is having any affect.

Beyond the driveability issue, it idles smooth, so I'm figuring it has to do something with applied engine load.

My Cars:

Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast