No announcement yet.

My 1987 Mercury Colony Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I took the wagon out today to run some errands and look into some existing issues.

Did the initial walk around, fluid check, and thus far, it doesn't appear to be using or leaking anything. Oil level has stayed consistent, coolant appears fine and is at the right level. I'll give it to Nick, having redone most of the gaskets on the engine has made it an essentially leak-free 302.

I washed it down at a DIY car wash for the first time in who knows how long so I could figure out where water leaks were coming from. I knew the front vent window wasn't 100% water tight against a strong blast of water from the wand, but otherwise stayed dry. Very small drip was noted from the upper corner of the front passenger door near the B-Pillar. I avoided spraying the tailgate seal too hard, since it too won't tolerate high pressure water spray. I checked around in the tailgate area for water intrusion, but couldn't find any. There is a distinct drip from the left passenger door near the C-Pillar, though. It looks like there's a tear in the weatherstripping allowing for the water to pass right into the cabin. I'll try and put some sealer behind it to stop that from continuing. It's not often this'll be out in the rain, but I'd rather have it stay generally dry inside.

Following that, I drove down to the junkyard and grabbed a wiper switch from a '89 Town Car that had a pretty decent tan leather interior. Someone took the driver's seat, but the passenger seat still looked great! Very surprised to see that. Next time I'm working on the wagon, I'll swap in the switch and see if that brings the wipers back to life. If not, I'll keep troubleshooting.

Cruising around, I did notice the fuel gauge is a little erratic right now. It had been hovering around the 1/2 mark for a while, then dropped to almost E with the light on, then the light went off and the needle stayed near E. I tossed some gas in and it only took 10 gallons. I'm guessing the sender hasn't seen much action, so it might need to just be driven so that the float can make a few sweeps. Surprisingly over the 180 miles it had covered at that point, it had an average of 17 MPG in a lot of city traffic. Better than I expected. The 3.27s definitely help out since it doesn't take much to get it going.

When I parked it under its carport this evening, I did install the NOS tailgate handle and replacement screw to figure out if the tailgate would fold down. Unfortunately, it feels like something is sticking because it won't fold down after the window is lowered. Still swings open okay, though. I also tried some TR-3 on the hood to see if I can get a shine out of the rather dull paint. I did get a bit of a shine, but it'll need a few rounds of that stuff to really determine if it can shine the finish. The single stage garbage has not dealt well with the sun, but when it was done in the first place, it was done poorly. Some day it'll get a proper repaint, but for now, the focus is getting all the interior and suspension bits worked out, then focusing on sprucing up the exterior.

All in all, I've been impressed with how well it has been working thus far.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Be sure both passenger side tailgate strikers are adjusted and latching. Both have to be latched before the tailgate will allow swing down by releasing the top striker. Both my cars needed adjustment on the top striker.
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I know exactly the problem for fold down. When you're here Saturday we'll fix it We need to replace the non-existent bushings on the tail gate strikers. Because your wagon was one of the few that worked and had a nice fold down cable but bushing disintegrated and I forgot about it. And we can lube the snot out of everything in the tail gate to make sure window mechanism is AOK.

Glad to hear it's fairly leak free. Do keep an eye on the oil pan gasket and oil sending unit. Believe I did the PCV grommet, metal insert/screen and Motorcraft PCV.
        -Nick M.
        Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
        03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Originally posted by TecNickal View Post
          I know exactly the problem for fold down. When you're here Saturday we'll fix it We need to replace the non-existent bushings on the tail gate strikers. Because your wagon was one of the few that worked and had a nice fold down cable but bushing disintegrated and I forgot about it. And we can lube the snot out of everything in the tail gate to make sure window mechanism is AOK.

Glad to hear it's fairly leak free. Do keep an eye on the oil pan gasket and oil sending unit. Believe I did the PCV grommet, metal insert/screen and Motorcraft PCV.
          I'd have to figure out some excuse to give to my aunt why I have the wagon since I'm supposed to do plugs and coil boots on her GMQ later that day (unless I get up there early, then get to your place by 10:00). Otherwise, I'd probably be driving the '97 Saturday.

My Cars:
          -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
          -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Drove up to Nick's today after working on my aunt's GMQ. Grabbed a bunch of additional parts to have for spares and upgrades. Good door seals to replace some shot ones, vent window for the passenger side with good seals and the glass, headlight bezels, and the list continues. We also took out some of his cars, namely the '89 Colony Park and '90 Town Car. For whatever reason, the '89 really does move better than the '90, despite being similarly equipped.

Anyways, today the rear springs were tackled. It got "new" cargo coils that wound up under my '97 for a week, taken out for obvious reasons, given to Nick, then given back to me. So here we are:

Of course I busted a chunk out of one of those Townie center caps trying to get it off with a screwdriver. Oops. I'll fix it soon since it was only a small, but glueable piece. It seems plastic trim removal tools work great on those, however. The rake isn't as bad as the picture makes it out, and I'm sure it'll actually settle some with proper weight on them. It still has some boaty aspects, but doesn't sag and float nearly as bad as it did. The old springs found themselves to work great living in a trash can.

Also, the odometer hit 315,000 miles on the return trip to its garage.

The more time I spend learning the "intricacies" of this thing along with the help from Nick, the more comfortable I become getting down to business with it.

My Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
              The more time I spend learning the "intricacies" of this thing along with the help from Nick, the more comfortable I become getting down to business with it.
              Have you done body mount bushings yet? I'm curious how it's done and whether just buying two sets of sedan bushings would suffice.
              1993 Ford F-150 Flareside - July 2010 - August 2013
              2004 Ford Mustang - September 2013 - February 2018
              1987 Mercury Colony Park GS - August 2015 - Present
              2018 VW Golf GTI - February 2018-February 2021 (was a lease)
              2003 EZGO TXT - March 2015 - May 2019 (it's road legal!)

2019 VW Golf Alltrack company provided April 2019 - Present
              2012 Fiat 500 5 speed - January 2021-Present
              2003 Audi A6 Allroad 6 speed July 2021-Present

Comment

Originally posted by longroof87 View Post
                Have you done body mount bushings yet? I'm curious how it's done and whether just buying two sets of sedan bushings would suffice.
                I have no idea if they've been done or not. I've not done them.

Also, fucking wonderful:

I had to park it out front where I'm keeping it since the area around the carport is being redone, so neither of the cars are under there. Anyway, the guy that also stays at that house managed to back his truck into the tailgate.

Any ideas how to remove that lovely dent? I'll be doing some work on Monday before work, so I can try to address it then.

My Cars:

Comment

The metal is really thick. No chance fixing it perfect. Best thing to do is make the idiot pay for your time in finding, purchasing, professionally painting it as well as fixing the damage he caused to the quarter panel and getting that all painted too. It will cost him a lot. I am fuming here for you and it is not even my car.

For the time being though I guess remove the interior panel and use a 2x4 and a hammer and bang it out.
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                  my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                    The metal is really thick. No chance fixing it perfect. Best thing to do is make the idiot pay for your time in finding, purchasing, professionally painting it as well as fixing the damage he caused to the quarter panel and getting that all painted too. It will cost him a lot. I am fuming here for you and it is not even my car.

For the time being though I guess remove the interior panel and use a 2x4 and a hammer and bang it out.
                    I just want it "straight-ish" for now. The body has some other small dings that exist elsewhere. The ding on the D-pillar has been there. Whenever I decide to get the whole thing painted, then i'll have all of the dings addressed.

I'm still pissed about this, though.

My Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by longroof87 View Post
                      Sedans and wagons have the same amount of body mounts, wagon just has the last 2 a little further back.

Energy Suspension 9.4102's are much better then the factory rubber junk, and fit decently. Scott used to sell a kit with new hardware and the needed bushings, not sure if he still does.

Sucks about the tailgate, I'd hang a new one on to be honest.
                      2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

The bolts and nuts you can get from McMaster-Carr easy enough, the trick is that the "step" on the ES bushing is smaller diameter than the hole in the frame. Need an adapter bushing to fit betwixt the two. Scott was having a place make them, not sure if he's got any more or not. Making them on a lathe is not terribly hard, it would just be tedious to do. Its a one at a time kind of thing.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post

Sucks about the tailgate, I'd hang a new one on to be honest.
                          I would do that if I could, but the wagon at the junkyard was pulled a few weeks ago. All the good hardware could have been swapped from the damaged one, but alas.

My Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
                            Any ideas how to remove that lovely dent?

1993 Ford F-150 Flareside - July 2010 - August 2013
                            2004 Ford Mustang - September 2013 - February 2018
                            1987 Mercury Colony Park GS - August 2015 - Present
                            2018 VW Golf GTI - February 2018-February 2021 (was a lease)
                            2003 EZGO TXT - March 2015 - May 2019 (it's road legal!)

2019 VW Golf Alltrack company provided April 2019 - Present
                            2012 Fiat 500 5 speed - January 2021-Present
                            2003 Audi A6 Allroad 6 speed July 2021-Present

Comment

oh man that sucks. Time for a new tailgate.

Is that a paint or is that still wood grain? Not sure if Merc woodgrain is even available. The Ford version is - I think it's called colonial walnut. And it's way more expensive than paint. Dude that hit it better be ready to pay out.
                              Last edited by Tiggie; 01-15-2017, 10:50 PM.
                              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Nice clean wagon. I need me another one.
                                1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

Working...
                                X