PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: My 1987 Mercury Colony Park

Quote Originally Posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
    The more time I spend learning the "intricacies" of this thing along with the help from Nick, the more comfortable I become getting down to business with it.
    Have you done body mount bushings yet? I'm curious how it's done and whether just buying two sets of sedan bushings would suffice.
    1993 Ford F-150 Flareside - July 2010 - August 2013
    2008 Jeep Patriot company provided - January 2012 - October 2013
    2004 Ford Mustang - September 2013 - Present
    2011 Jeep Patriot company provided - October 2013 - June 2015
    2012 Jeep Patriot company provided - June 2015 - Present
    1987 Mercury Colony Park GS - August 2015 - Present
    2003 EZGO TXT - March 2015 - Present (it's road legal!)

Quote Originally Posted by longroof87 View Post
    Have you done body mount bushings yet? I'm curious how it's done and whether just buying two sets of sedan bushings would suffice.
    I have no idea if they've been done or not. I've not done them.

Also, fucking wonderful:

I had to park it out front where I'm keeping it since the area around the carport is being redone, so neither of the cars are under there. Anyway, the guy that also stays at that house managed to back his truck into the tailgate.

Any ideas how to remove that lovely dent? I'll be doing some work on Monday before work, so I can try to address it then.

My Cars:
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 POTM Winner
    -1989 Sable LS Wagon (88,710 Miles) - Sold
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (210K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

The metal is really thick. No chance fixing it perfect. Best thing to do is make the idiot pay for your time in finding, purchasing, professionally painting it as well as fixing the damage he caused to the quarter panel and getting that all painted too. It will cost him a lot. I am fuming here for you and it is not even my car.

For the time being though I guess remove the interior panel and use a 2x4 and a hammer and bang it out.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    The metal is really thick. No chance fixing it perfect. Best thing to do is make the idiot pay for your time in finding, purchasing, professionally painting it as well as fixing the damage he caused to the quarter panel and getting that all painted too. It will cost him a lot. I am fuming here for you and it is not even my car.

For the time being though I guess remove the interior panel and use a 2x4 and a hammer and bang it out.
    I just want it "straight-ish" for now. The body has some other small dings that exist elsewhere. The ding on the D-pillar has been there. Whenever I decide to get the whole thing painted, then i'll have all of the dings addressed.

I'm still pissed about this, though.

My Cars:
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (210K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Quote Originally Posted by longroof87 View Post
    Sedans and wagons have the same amount of body mounts, wagon just has the last 2 a little further back.

Energy Suspension 9.4102's are much better then the factory rubber junk, and fit decently. Scott used to sell a kit with new hardware and the needed bushings, not sure if he still does.

Sucks about the tailgate, I'd hang a new one on to be honest.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

The bolts and nuts you can get from McMaster-Carr easy enough, the trick is that the "step" on the ES bushing is smaller diameter than the hole in the frame. Need an adapter bushing to fit betwixt the two. Scott was having a place make them, not sure if he's got any more or not. Making them on a lathe is not terribly hard, it would just be tedious to do. Its a one at a time kind of thing.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Quote Originally Posted by pantera77 View Post

Sucks about the tailgate, I'd hang a new one on to be honest.
    I would do that if I could, but the wagon at the junkyard was pulled a few weeks ago. All the good hardware could have been swapped from the damaged one, but alas.

My Cars:

Quote Originally Posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
    Any ideas how to remove that lovely dent?

1993 Ford F-150 Flareside - July 2010 - August 2013
    2008 Jeep Patriot company provided - January 2012 - October 2013
    2004 Ford Mustang - September 2013 - Present
    2011 Jeep Patriot company provided - October 2013 - June 2015
    2012 Jeep Patriot company provided - June 2015 - Present
    1987 Mercury Colony Park GS - August 2015 - Present
    2003 EZGO TXT - March 2015 - Present (it's road legal!)

oh man that sucks. Time for a new tailgate.

Is that a paint or is that still wood grain? Not sure if Merc woodgrain is even available. The Ford version is - I think it's called colonial walnut. And it's way more expensive than paint. Dude that hit it better be ready to pay out.
    Last edited by Tiggie; 01-15-2017 at 09:50 PM.
    1988 Crown Vic Wagon - daily
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, former lawn ornament
    Other: 95 Ranger, 74 F250, 68 Mustang, 94 Mustang
    Sold: 1982 LTD and 1987 Crown Vic

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Nice clean wagon. I need me another one.
    1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block bored to .030 over with SpeedPro pistons & rods w/ARP hardware, FRPP oil pump, rebuilt GT-40 3bar heads w/Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, true 93' Cobra lower intake w/factory IAT port, Exploder upper intake and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N RAM intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lock/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, 7-blade rad fan. Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph
    Other rides: 2000 Toyota Solara, 1984 Camaro 2.8, 1986 Corolla AE86, 1989 Integra, 1996 Integra GSR

Southern

I already texted you plenty of profanity. Do we need to arrange for a tow of this persons vehicle to a a non-local tow yard for the inconvenience he's caused? Remove plate and claim abandoned vehicle?

Seriously that bothers the hell out of me. Sorry man.

I know a place that you can get a tail gate - it may not be a Mercury version but this junkyard is full service and is in Batesburg. They have like an 83-84 Country Squire and they have a similar year Colony Park but its tail gate is long gone.

Also I checked car-part.com and I see tailgates are readily available from $100-300 - so long as you're willing to drive.

I think he owes you a tail gate and gas money to go get the one you want.

There's a nice one in NC with pictures that's from an 87...
    https://cpprohomeky.car-part.com/ima...ck%23%20021602

And the more I look at the pic, the more I agree - just find another one. They are out there. and a 2x4 with hammer can address in interim. Use the bashed tailgate for scrap metal.
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

1966 Ford Country Squire - 6.4L 390 2bbl/C6 - ~85K miles
    1989 Mercury Colony Park LS - 302 V8- 188K miles.
    1990 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 302 V8- 102K miles.
    2003 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series 3x - (42K, 79K-totaled, 222k)

Quote Originally Posted by TecNickal View Post
    I already texted you plenty of profanity. Do we need to arrange for a tow of this persons vehicle to a a non-local tow yard for the inconvenience he's caused? Remove plate and claim abandoned vehicle?

Seriously that bothers the hell out of me. Sorry man.

I know a place that you can get a tail gate - it may not be a Mercury version but this junkyard is full service and is in Batesburg. They have like an 83-84 Country Squire and they have a similar year Colony Park but its tail gate is long gone.

Also I checked car-part.com and I see tailgates are readily available from $100-300 - so long as you're willing to drive.

I think he owes you a tail gate and gas money to go get the one you want.

There's a nice one in NC with pictures that's from an 87...
    https://cpprohomeky.car-part.com/ima...ck%23%20021602

And the more I look at the pic, the more I agree - just find another one. They are out there. and a 2x4 with hammer can address in interim. Use the bashed tailgate for scrap metal.
    The one in Batesburg doesn't sound bad distance wise. Since this thing doesn't have wood grain, donor model be damned since I plan to paint it with the current colors. Emblems can be swapped. It's not wearing the Grand Marquis ones (which would have been destroyed if it was), which just means the 'Mercury' script needs to come off. Only thing that would be missing is the high mount brake light, but that won't really bother me. Enough cars have burnt out ones around here, so it being completely absent won't hurt a thing.

A little bit of metallic dark brown and gold/bronze color, and bam, straight tailgate and paint that couldn't be any worse than the rest of it. Only draw backs I've got is time to go get that stuff. School Mon-Thurs and work possibly any given day. I'd gladly pay someone to grab a tailgate and for their time and effort to get it (given the pricing for the tailgate is reasonable).

We could probably paint/hang that tailgate on a Saturday whenever nothing is happening. For now, I'll try to bang the existing one into shape. I doubt I'll be happy with my inspection tomorrow. I'll be more pissed if I find the window guides are messed up and it can't be rolled down. That is a feature I find convenient.

This also isn't the first car that has taken a strike from him either. The lady (the family friend) who lives here had her Accord backed into as well. He got it on the corner of the passenger side bumper which pushed it in and creased the trunk lid. I was able to pop that bumper cover out and straighten the lip of the trunk a bit. I guess careless backing is a habit that dies hard.

My Cars:

fomoco panthers !

Tailgate looks pretty bad. Time for a replacement. Have you checked to see if a "skin" is available ? If you replace the whole thing, I would save as many parts from the damaged tailgate as possible. Spare parts come in handy.
    Hand the guy who is staying at the house a bill for the damage. After damaging two vehicles, he would not be staying there anymore unless he pays the damages.

I post a lot... knucklehead0202's Avatar

Bummer on the tailgate buddy, but at least it isn't your whole front end...

Dear OP,

That third taillight space works good for a rear window wiper. Be sure to save low mileage hinges and latch mechanism.

Donald McCaig

This thing is toast:

Creased from the upper trim straight down to the bottom lip. The window rolls down about half way before it starts binding on the left side. I had to pull it up some with my hand to get it going again. Opening the tailgate is out of the question. You can get it about 4 inches before it catches on the body. It does have some sag, so if you lift on it from the bottom, you can get about an extra inch, but the trim at the bottom catches on the body. It'll have to be bent out of the way to get it to open.

On the plus side, a donor tailgate should hopefully be sourced on Saturday. Nick is going to see about swinging by the full service place, so we will see how that plays out. I should be getting compensated for the costs from the guy that hit it. As long as the replacement tailgate is straight for the most part, things should be just fine again. A minor delay, but at least it'll be back on track for doing all the other things interior related that is planned.

Besides the tailgate stuff, I changed the oil and swapped in the replacement wiper switch. Still no wiper action, and just the washer pump functions when the lever is pulled. I need to get a voltmeter on that area soon.
    Last edited by Kodachrome Wolf; 01-16-2017 at 02:27 PM.

My Cars:

Nick, I can't thank you enough!

Nick scored me a replacement tailgate from an early Country Squire:

I know the trim is different, but I'll paint it to look like the existing style. Eventually all the wood trim bits will go away, but for now I'll work with it. I'm going to try and get some work done on it next week.

Nick, thanks again!

My Cars:

I post a lot...

At least it looks like the chrome can be swapped in place of the ford "wood" trim.
    "X" car 89 Colony Park LS Mods>Engine delete, SS duals magnaflow hflow cats, 2010 Must GT mufflers, auto air shocks, Posi, Tran cooler, big front brakes, 03+ rear disks, Large 3g alt, Tripminder, GS grill, 86 seats, 16" HPP wheels, winter boots=96 Cartier wheels, 215-65/16 Goodyear ULTRA GW3 snows, pi rear sway, alum driveshaft.
    03 Marauder DBP, HS, 6disk, Organizer, Silver Stars, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector.
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated Cooper Zeon RS3-A, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17

Nice! Good luck with the swap.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Never been a fan of the Ford trim honestly. That plastic shrink wrapped woodgrain always goes to hell and it looks foolish. The Mercury chrome and wood inlay trim looks better and holds up better long term.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast