No announcement yet.

My 1987 Mercury Colony Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible that the Ho heads don't work properly wit the standard EFI camshaft ? maybe the valves not open fully
    1987 Colony Park LS wagon
    1988 Grand marquis LS sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Tanner02480 View Post
      Is it possible that the Ho heads don't work properly wit the standard EFI camshaft ? maybe the valves not open fully
      There's been a few people who tossed on E7s onto a otherwise factory engine, so I'm trying to figure out where the issue stems from.

Edit: Branching onto a tech post for focus, diagnosis, etc.
      Last edited by Kodachrome Wolf; 08-23-2018, 12:01 AM.

My Cars:
      -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
      -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
      -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
      -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Sorry if I'm being an idiot, but did you check to make sure the new heads seal up properly with the water method and such? I've heard sometimes people mix up the O2 sensors and put the left harness on the right bank and such, that didn't happen did it? No sticky or mis connected injectors? ECT OK?
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
          Sorry if I'm being an idiot, but did you check to make sure the new heads seal up properly with the water method and such? I've heard sometimes people mix up the O2 sensors and put the left harness on the right bank and such, that didn't happen did it? No sticky or mis connected injectors? ECT OK?
          Never have heard of the water method.

The O2 sensors weren't bothered per se, however what appeared to be grounds were bothered coming from that harness. One ground was still attached to the passenger side head, but one had been grounded to the lower intake manifold with a janky looking ring terminal that was all hacked up. Both of those wires were crimped together in a healthy ring terminal and attached to the lower intake manifold on one of the studs.

The fuel injectors are the rebuilt units that were installed several months ago. Single pintle type, 14# injectors with Ford part numbers. The harnesses were laid down evenly on each side, so all injectors are hooked up to the corresponding connector.

ECT is a replacement Motorcraft unit that's maybe about a year old.

My Cars:
          -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
          -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Ah yeah, now I remember you saying you replaced the infectors.

Basically, the water method is done by pouring just enough water into the combustion chamber area and then seeing if any leaks past the valves into the intake or exhaust ports. Reverse of that is adding water to the intake or exhaust valve ports and watching for leaks in the combustion chamber. Pretty neat, at least from the videos I've seen.

Comment

The driveability issue was hammered out fairly quick thanks to the folks around here. Runs quite nice now, and I'm very happy considering it was over a year since the issue cropped up. No more high speed for me, thank you.

Anyway, I figured I'd update on what was up with the original heads and the recessed valve. So I gave the old heads to a local guy who planned on getting them cleaned up for a '70s F100. He turned them over to a machine shop to get them straightened up. Apparently cylinder 1's valve got wore down until it no longer sealed against the seat. The seat itself was fine. The machine shop said the heads were overall in good shape, but couldn't make heads or tails if they're originals.

Just like Tiggie said on the previous page, gotta wonder if they re-used original valves (or heads for that matter) during the engine rebuild before Nick got it. I found it had FelPro head gaskets on it after the old heads came off, so it makes me suspect that they may have only gotten a block and rotating assembly. The cylinder walls still had nice looking cross hatching in them, so I can believe that it was "recent" (284K or something near there). If it had gotten fresh heads, it would seem rather abnormal for a valve to go junk status in about 36K miles, especially since I doubt Nick was thrashing it around and for the most part I drive it normally. Now, if the old heads were reused, I could see a 320K mile valve being pretty worn.

I did take it on a quick spin around town a few days ago. It isn't leaking anything, which is nice. All the hoses except the lower radiator hose have been replaced at this point. The front heater pipe and water pump bypass hose were looking questionable so they got swapped when all the front accessories were out. A/C works really well in this heat, and is much appreciated. I do need to swap seat belts and latches before I can take it out again. The driver's side latch has been sloppy for a while and wouldn't always catch on the first insertion. It decided to fully stop catching on the last drive and I don't like not having a seat belt (also I'm not risking a ticket), so I've got to fix that. I've also got to change the oil to get any remaining garbage out of the system.

My Cars:

Comment

Careful with that seat belt. I've had a few of that style buckle ('70s-'00 Ford/GM with the push button latch) that wouldn't latch properly, then decide they aren't going to unlatch at all. My favorite was my buddy's old '97, I was trapped in the passenger seat because it jammed up. I had to destroy the buckle to get out. In all of them that were funky, its a wave-spring that engages the latch, it fatigues and doesn't put pressure on the latch anymore, then eventually breaks and jams up the whole thing so you can't press the button anymore to release it. Good thing is that they are pretty well the same until '00 on a Panther so they should be easy to source.
                -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
                1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
                1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
                1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

Nice to knows it's alive, so the problem was just a missing ground connector ?
                  Did you noted a difference with the semi HO upgrade + 1 working cylinder ?

Comment

Originally posted by Tanner02480 View Post
                    Nice to knows it's alive, so the problem was just a missing ground connector ?
                    Did you noted a difference with the semi HO upgrade + 1 working cylinder ?
                    The problem was TPS way out of range (someone fiddled with the permanent throttle plate stop) and spark plugs made dirty by debris when the engine was initial fired. Sorting that out resolved the running issue.

So it has better throttle response with the larger TB. Don’t have to mash the gas much to get it going. Seems to breath better with slightly better torque feel down low, but still no power up top, but that’s the nature of the LoPo. For normal driving it’s perkier and definitely has more power for passing.

Admittedly, I would not just swap from E6s to E7s on a stock engine unless 1.) they’re just given to you, and 2.) you have to take the heads off for some reason. They work fine on a stock engine, and do help a bit, but it won’t be life changing.

My Cars:

Comment

No power up top could be fueling. If it's running lean it'll feel that way. How my Firebird is and how Fury was until I rejetted the carb. Oh god, that was like night and day. Surprised I didn't melt a piston in that thing...

Comment

depends if its abnormally no power, or the usual no high rpm power that the stock cam produces. Beyond about 4200 the lopo cam is useless. The Explorer cam will give you about 4800 and then its pretty much done too. It has more though, so its sort of like a more awesome lopo cam.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah, it's just the LoPo no top end. Also didn't help that the throttle bracket wasn't tightened down properly allowing for a little slack, so WOT wasn't really WOT. Explained the slightly earlier shifts. Everything seems good now, and it runs strong under moderate to heavy acceleration. More confidence inspiring for sure.

I did do a few more cursory checks and get the last little bits of things put back, along with starting on another side project to clean up the engine bay more. I also changed the oil with 5 quarts of fresh 10W-30 and a Wix filter. The old oil had a bit of fuel smell on it, most likely stemming from the fact there was injector just fuel soaking a cylinder.

With all the smog stuff off and nicer Town Car air box in place, there's a lot more room in these engine bays. You can see off in the corner I'm setting up the "modern" vacuum reservoir. I'm going to mod the relay lid so I can attach the old relay housing tops to it. I'm stealing that setup from 87gtVIC, but I've got to make do with the original fender liner. Nothing a drill won't fix.

Plenty of room on the passenger side without the hoses and air pipes:

Also, picture of the filthy thing:

Really needs a bath.

The relay relocation setup should look nicer going forwards since it'll eliminate the old relay towers that were hanging out. I've got an idea of how I want to modify the relay cover to work.

My Cars:

Comment

What did I do originally? Just dremel out the bottom for cable access and just kinda zipties the stock relays inside the box?

I do have the proper set up in the car now. Couple hours spent soldering and EVTM referencing was needed but made it work like factory.

Keep fixing that wagon up. Love the colors.
                            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Mine has stock relays just stuffed inside the modern cover. No modifications to the box, the three relays I think are zip tied together but thats it. The harness may have a zip tie or something holding it to the inner fender as well.

Never been much on that 1990 "maf". its just too damn small.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post

Also, picture of the filthy thing:
                                Nice job you did, it's look to be in very good condition, exhaust manifold without rust wow !

I really like this wagon the match with the lincoln mags is very nice, I also have a 87 colony park, but I don't have the center channel on my dash pad where it's from ?

I can see 92 police wheels on the red mercury in the background ! very nice !

Comment

Working...
                                X