My 1987 Mercury Colony Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tanner02480 View Post
    I really like this wagon the match with the lincoln mags is very nice, I also have a 87 colony park, but I don't have the center channel on my dash pad where it's from?
    I don’t recall the donor car for the dash pad. Nick put it in before I got it. Unfortunately it got a crack down the center while it was sitting. It was originally red, and then sprayed tan. There isn’t a center speaker in this car, though, just the ones in the corners.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Tanner02480 View Post
      I also have a 87 colony park, but I don't have the center channel on my dash pad where it's from ?
      Was used on early panther cars for AM mono radio speaker or as a vent for the amp in early premium sound cars. Both of those features changed post 1982ish and it basically had no function after that. Dash pads without the center grills were gradually phased in after that. 1986 has them pretty common, 1987 generally doesn’t (this one is a rare bird).
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Earlier cars had the center grille. May have stopped around 86-87. I have a service manual here for 1987 radios and there is actually an electronic AM-only radio listed in there. Who knows why you'd want that over the manual tuned AM/FM but whatever.

Some of the early 80s cars had the premium sound amp located in that spot. That may have stopped ~1982 or so.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Never knew that about the early PS equipped cars. I always thought the amps were in the trunk
          2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
          2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
          Past Panthers
          1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
          if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Fabricobbled something today.

Decided instead of attempting to secure the relays inside the box and allow them to just hang out, I'd try and mash the old style relay holders onto the lid of the new style relay case. It's not incredibly pretty, but assuming it all goes together okay, it'll eliminate the odd mounting of the relay bracket and keep the relays secured properly. Right now I don't have any intentions of rewiring a relay block, but maybe that'll be one of those far off future projects.

My Cars:
            -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
            -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Haha. I like it. Clever way of doing it.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

FWIW, epoxy wasn’t good enough. Vibrations and heat caused them to separate from the lid. I’d need to runs small screws through it for a proper hold.

Otherwise, clearance was good.

My Cars:

Comment

After another day of getting good use out of the wagon, I think everything is generally back in business. Oil and coolant are staying at consistent levels, so that at least means nothing is leaking or being consumed. Fresh fuel helped clean up a slight stumble at idle. The last time I put fuel in the tank was July 2nd, and E10 stuff doesn't keep for long. Logged about 80 miles going around a three county area with three guys from NC.

Got a new seat belt latch installed from an '89 Town Car. Apparently the design did change between Aeros and Boxes just enough to make the newer stuff just too short to reach the floor anchor point. Anyway, the latch is the most secure I've ever felt in this car, so I'm happy, even if the darn thing is red. Safety is more important than appearance.

While in downtown Augusta, we did get treated to Norfolk Southern's appearance on 6th Street:

FWIW, the 6th Street line isn't a branch line, but NS's mainline into Augusta. This particular line also can cut downtown Augusta in half waiting for long trains to clear, and occasionally they are still building their cuts and wind up stopping and backing up on this portion, much to the ire of people on the road. CSX also operates into Augusta, but they don't street run, but still manage to also cut downtown in half. NS separates the north and south ends, while CSX separates the east and west ends.
                  Last edited by Kodachrome Wolf; 09-22-2018, 12:31 AM.

My Cars:

Comment

Nice to see the car alive and very nice picture !
                    1987 Colony Park LS wagon
                    1988 Grand marquis LS sedan

Comment

Took care of some cosmetic, chassis, and vacuum stuff today.

Nick had put a NOS '87 grille on the car before I got it, but I want to save it from being road blasted by driving around. Found a seller on eBay who had some used stock of early style grilles, and I've liked the earlier grilles, so I good a solid driver condition grille.

Needs a better cleaning than just the hosing off I gave it, but I think I can get it a bit shinier. The wrecker parts number tag listed it as being from a '79 GMQ. I didn't realize the '79-'82 grilles used a recessed nameplate versus the '83+ ones where the nameplate bolts onto the grille. Anyway, the nose now emulates an '82.

After tossing that on, I hit all the grease points on the front end. I haven't done it since I got the car. Most of the boots are shot, but at least there's grease in them for now. Everything is still tight, so I'm not worrying much.

I also started poking around the engine again, and started hearing a hiss. Noticed a broken vacuum line back there that fed the parking brake release. The parking brake release was already capped off inside, so I proceeded to remove the line and cap it at the tree (while the feature is nice, I haven't planned on fixing it). Then I noticed an additional feed (HVAC possibly) that was straight back from the intake that cracked. Luckily I had some spare vacuum hose and got the lines pieced back together, but only after having that line break off two more times. I don't know how long those lines were cracked and leaking.

My Cars:

Comment

I like it.
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Looks very good. The 79-82 stuff just looks better.
                          —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
                          1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
                          1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
                          1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

+1
                            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Well, it's been two years now. And once again, it's wet, gray, but a bit warmer and humid this year. Probably going to get bit by a good cold snap I'm sure.

Haven't done much with the wagon, took it out a few days ago. I fear the roof is leaking again, there was water dripping out of the cargo lamp. It's causing a moisture issue (fogging on inside glass), so I tossed a DampRid bucket in there. Don't want mold, so hopefully that'll help. Gotta find the leak. I suspect roof rack stuff. The frame of the rack is still on it, but the rails were removed and the holes sealed, so those are my suspect points. Rest of the headliner seems dry, but that doesn't mean anything.

My Cars:

Comment

Finally!

It only took two years, but now the wagon can finally live in the driveway versus being kept at odd locations. After taking that quick picture, it got properly washed down along with a full interior cleaning. The windows were rather grimy, and the floors littered with leaves and such.

It'll get a proper shakedown run this week since I'll drive it to and from work for a while and finally give the '97 some rest. The plan is to take care of rebuilding some of the front suspension on the '97. New control arms with bushings and ball joints are primary on the list, along with sway bar links. I may even start working on the RAS swap I'd been planning, but that one would take a bit more time. Since I doubt I'd have the '97 done in one day, it'll be nice knowing I finally have a backup car at the ready that I can use while I do the work.

I finally ran into a fault with that aftermarket headlight harness, and that the relays are junk. Cheapy-cheap relays aren't very nice when you find out your headlights don't turn on. High beams worked only out the outer position lamps. Swapped in some good five-pin Bosch relays and I had light again.

Having it properly at home means I can also start on side projects, like the tailgate and swapping the front bumper to the non-rubstrip model, but those aren't important right now.

My Cars:

Comment

Working...
                                X