My 1987 Mercury Colony Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Figured I shoot out some updates:
    I still haven't made it back up to SC to do any work on the donor tailgate. I definitely need to get that done when I have some time since I doubt Nick wants it to perpetually float about his place. Plus, I'd very much like to be able to open the tailgate and roll down the back window.

I attempted to wire an electric temperature gauge, however for some reason, the needle started creeping up towards full operating temperature on a cold engine with the engine off. I pulled the stuff for the time being so I can try again when I have some time to work on it.

I also cleaned out the interior of all of the spare parts and such I had laying about the interior. All the door panels and dashboard were cleaned up with some Meguiar's Quik Detailer, and the seats were cleaned and treated with leather conditioner. I pulled all the rubber floor mats and vacuumed the interior really well. I want to get in there and shampoo the carpets to really try to bring back some life to them. The other plan is to get some proper carpet floor mats to replace the el cheapo thin rubber ones that are in there. I don't ever recall the original ones being in there ever, so they must have gone MIA with the first owner. I also took down the original manual mirror and tossed up an auto-dimming one from an '89 Continental that I've had laying around. I just need to wire it in, but I've tested it and I know it works. It's just a feature I'm so used to having and I love the convenience.

The only real quirk that has come up since I got it is that the passenger window just stopped working. Neither the driver's master switch or passenger switch works. I'm thinking I just need to check the wiring since nothing makes any noise when the switch is hit. All of the other windows work fine.

It was also taken on a 200 mile road trip with a few friends the other day. As usual I check all the fluids on it before I take it out just to see if anything is happening. One notable thing is that the oil level hasn't dropped at all. I don't know where that 1/2 quart went a few weeks ago. Coolant is always at a good level. There's still a little erratic operation in the fuel gauge, but that issue has been generally quelled as the car is used and the fuel level changes. Overall, it did great on the trip.

I'm not sure if anyone is interested in railways or anything, but we did catch Norfolk Southern running a local train at speed in "traditional" fashion where they run the engine long hood forwards.

Last edited by Kodachrome Wolf; 02-14-2017, 01:26 PM.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

So pretty.

When the gauges goes full tilt like that it is probably done for. Sending unit wire is getting direct ground and pegging it out. May need a new sending unit for your electric water temp gauge.

Ive had pins inside the kick panels corrode and come apart that dealt with the power windows and locks. Had to replace them/re solder some but after that no issues. This was way back in 2006/7.

And HEY I have been on that road....

lol
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

^^^^^^^^^Somehow I hear that creepy "Deliverance" music when I read that post.^^^^^^^^^

Comment

Push the window button and slam the door. If it starts working, the brushes are worn or dirty. One of my back windows does that, usually just before its going to start raining.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Looks like that spot is becoming something like a geo cache, but for box panthers.

Did you go inside that general store? I would've. I love exploring abandoned buildings of old.
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
              Looks like that spot is becoming something like a geo cache, but for box panthers.

Did you go inside that general store? I would've. I love exploring abandoned buildings of old.
              We looked around the gas pumps and such, but we didn't go inside. There were a few locals up at the small post office just up the street and we didn't want to draw any attention. I assume the station closed sometime during 2010 or 2011, as the last pump inspection stickers were good into summer of 2011.

My Cars:
              -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
              -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

I see. Because of the old gas pumps I thought it had been dead for awhile but 2011 is pretty recent, no need to go in there really. Aren't they supposed to remove the pumps when they close down?
                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

hey beautiful wagon!! im trying to find a wagon right now also. i saw your in Ga where about in ga are you? I'm in savannah.
                  1979 lincoln versailis, ford test ordered car, factory floor shift with bucket seats.
                  1983 lincoln mark VI, all factory
                  2015 Mustang GT 50yrs SHERROD, 6 speed 302, track pack, premium package, Custom JL sound system.

Comment

I'm telling you - the powwrtrain on that car is fantastic. Never uses oil, very tight clean motor. You have a good one.

Try removing the motor from car and operate it. Bang on motor see if there's issues with the motor. You can rob a 88 and older panther for another motor.

I have a coolant temp gauges at house you are welcome to...

When are you coming by to collect some more of this stuff???
                    -Nick M.
                    Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
                    03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Originally posted by TecNickal View Post
                      When are you coming by to collect some more of this stuff???
                      When I've got some time. I was working 6 days straight last week. Things are finally opening up this week and hopefully I should have time next week to come and get more things. I'll give you an update when I grab my schedule.

Originally posted by bowman83merc View Post
                      hey beautiful wagon!! im trying to find a wagon right now also. i saw your in Ga where about in ga are you? I'm in savannah.
                      I'm up in Evans, outside of Augusta.

My Cars:

Comment

I have a house in macon ga. one of these weekends all us GA ppl should meet up
                        1979 lincoln versailis, ford test ordered car, factory floor shift with bucket seats.
                        1983 lincoln mark VI, all factory
                        2015 Mustang GT 50yrs SHERROD, 6 speed 302, track pack, premium package, Custom JL sound system.

Comment

I used to travel to Macon for business every other week.

GA has nicer roads than SC
                          -Nick M.
                          Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
                          03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Lookin good... so far.

85 LTC, Dark Canyon Red?/ 3.55 open/ HPP Wheels/ 4 Tone Horns/ ***POTM 5/2017*** SOLD
                            06 LTC, Silver Birtch, Fully Loaded [ The Daily ] ***POTM 4/2018
                            97 Mountaineer, 5.0 H.O. , 135k, Now with functioning window

89 LTC , Lowered, Straight Piped, (SOLD) 88 LTC (SOLD) Rough and Dirty, 2000 MGM, 2002 MGM, 96 MGM, 2005 MGM LSE (SOLD)

Comment

Got some more parts for the wagon from TecNickal today.

Starting with the exhaust, I have a gutted set of catalytic converter down pipes. These will replace the catless junk down pipes put on at some point by the original owner. As much as I would prefer proper emissions equipment, the cost isn't worth it to do. At least I'll be able to properly bolt the system together as the existing system is all welded together. I also did get a rather fresh dual exhaust mid-section consisting of an H-Pipe and mufflers. All of that equipment should rectify the "angry tractor" ticking I get on the passenger side exhaust since it's assumed a small leak exists. I'll probably get the system installed after I do the rear control arms and sway bar. The top bolt on the right side control arm is affected by the muffler being in the way. When I pulled that set at the junkyard, I smashed a huge dent into the muffler on the junk car and had to hold the system to the side so the bolt could be worked out. It made that process a huge PITA.

I also got a "basic", no rub-strip front bumper. The replacement bumper looks a bit nicer without all that black rubber on it. Maybe some day I'll find a matching rear bumper. That'll probably take a bit longer considering how dry the parts sourcing for wagons are down here, and base models are likely to be few and far between should any appear.

Needless to say, to carry everything back, we had to get the tailgate to open. We did have to take a small block of wood and a hammer to the dented area to get the panel to bend enough to open the tailgate and roll down the window. It's still very dented and creased up, so it still looks terrible, but that's why there's a replacement getting prepped to go on. At least I can use the wagon the way you're supposed to again! We also got the flip down function working again, so the tailgate can swing open or flip down. I'm pretty happy about that.

For having now put over 1,000 miles on it, I have not been disappointed. It has done very well in town and on the highway. While it is considerably happier doing 70 MPH and less, it hasn't had any problems burying the speedometer. I've still got some small issues to still fix, but nothing that negatively affects it's operation.

My Cars:

Comment

I haven't been doing too much with the wagon except taking it out every few days and doing some errands with it.

I did complete my speedometer updates I was speaking about. I changed out the green LEDs from the turn signal indicators back to incandescent so they wouldn't be so bright at night. The only LEDs are for the illumination. The needles received a coat of orange acrylic paint for greater visibility from the background.

I found it easier to remove the cover from the cluster and take out the shift indicator than removing the shift indicator collar and the column shroud to get the cluster out:

Mounted and going:

I really want to see how it looks in car at night with the lights, but that'll probably wait until this weekend.

My Cars:

Comment

Working...
                                X