Exhaust Fitment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust Fitment

I would like to do dual exhaust on the '87. It helped on the '97, and I'm sure it can help here. Now I've had downright shitty luck working on exhaust, but I would like to change that by actually looking into what I need before I get started.

So the car currently has catless down pipes that feed into a Y-Pipe that goes to a factory looking muffler and out the side exit exhaust behind the rear wheel. I do have the ability to purchase a set of catalytic converters from a late '80s Town Car for a good price along with a '91 Town Car H-pipe and muffler set. I want to add the cats back since the exhaust reeks and it'll simplify installing an H-pipe as it would then be a bolt on deal.

My question is can I use that '91 H-pipe or is will the fitment be wrong on it?

Also, can I take a sedan left tailpipe, cut it after it goes over the rear axle, then just add the 90 degree turn so it'll have a side exit exhaust?

All I'm trying to do is make a stock engine breath a bit better. I have no real performance plans, nor am I trying to make it loud.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

I've got a 91 linc h-pipe compared to my factory replacement dual h-pipe. The linc is a bit longer but will work good with shorter aftermarket mufflers or you can cut it. The difference is only two inches or so.

Your tailpipe plan is exactly what I did. Depending on your tailpipe, it could take 1 or 2 cuts to get the 90 degrees. My passgener was a single cut and the driver need two.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

i dont think the h-pipe from a 91 town car will work on a push rod engine, you may want to check first.......
      I'm not completely oblivious to reality, I just choose to reject it when it doesn't line up with my opinions. (thanx Thain!)

Comment

The H pipe probably would work. It's still straddling an AOD at that point so that shouldn't be an issue. The major difference was the headers and down pipes/cats.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

yeah, i wasnt sure if the H- pipe would mate to the down pipe without modifications (i.e being to wide?)
          I'm not completely oblivious to reality, I just choose to reject it when it doesn't line up with my opinions. (thanx Thain!)

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
            The H pipe probably would work. It's still straddling an AOD at that point so that shouldn't be an issue. The major difference was the headers and down pipes/cats.
            Going based on Tiggie's post, it sounds like it'll meet the down pipes correctly, which IMO is the thing that needs to work first before anything else does.

I know that H-Pipe has new mufflers, but they aren't the rectangular ones like the Aeros and Whales have, but the traditional oval style ones. Once I do a mock fitting, I'll have a better idea if I need to do any trimming on the H-Pipe.

My Cars:
            -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
            -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

One thing to consider is long term cost. I went through a few exhausts before I had a custom stainless system made. Now that car is beyond reasonable repair due to rust after 14 years of my use. The exhaust is coming off and moving to the "new" car. If I had done that the first time I needed an exhaust the savings would have been considerable and the hassles of repair and replacement reduced. See sig for some details.
              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                One thing to consider is long term cost. I went through a few exhausts before I had a custom stainless system made. Now that car is beyond reasonable repair due to rust after 14 years of my use. The exhaust is coming off and moving to the "new" car. If I had done that the first time I needed an exhaust the savings would have been considerable and the hassles of repair and replacement reduced. See sig for some details.
                As much as I would like a stainless system, I'm sure a steel system will hold up for a while in Georgia. The existing system appears to be steel and doesn't have any signs of rot, just surface rust.

My Cars:

Comment

If it wasn't already mentioned, throw an HO upper and throttle body on it too. That and duals should help wake it up a little bit
                  1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

That is true, regional differences do mean a lot.
                    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by HiFiMerc View Post
                      If it wasn't already mentioned, throw an HO upper and throttle body on it too. That and duals should help wake it up a little bit
                      I'll put that on the list of things to grab on my junkyard runs. Anything to help perk up the engine in it's current form (likely to stay a LoPo for a while) is good to me. Luckily this one came with a 3.27 rear end so it can dance pretty well around town as it sits.

My Cars:

Comment

HO upper, HO TB, stock EGR spacer bored out to 63mm, 1.7rr's, smog pump delete, under drive pulley, lincoln logs or shortie headers, and dual exhaust.
                        That's how every lopo should be. A million times better then stock form.
                        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                          HO upper, HO TB, stock EGR spacer bored out to 63mm, 1.7rr's, smog pump delete, under drive pulley, lincoln logs or shortie headers, and dual exhaust.
                          That's how every lopo should be. A million times better then stock form.
                          I'm going to try to avoid derailing my own thread, but what are 1.7rr's?

Luckily it already has Lincoln Logs on and the smog pump was gutted and now it's just a free pulley. Everything else will be acquired in time when I can find the parts.

My Cars:

Comment

Remove the smog pump entirely and run a shorter belt for the a/c, along with all the hoses, diverter valves, vacuum lines, etc... Remove the pipe from the back of the heads and pinch it shut and weld it up. Boom, tunes more room under the hood and a bunch of BS for the scrap pile.

As for 1.7 roller rockers, these are what most run: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...view/make/ford
                            I've picked a few set up over the years used for dirt cheap. Do they really do much for a lopo which revs out at 4k? Probably not, but it's better than the stock 1.6 stamped steel garbage. I usually toss them on when I do valve cover gaskets.
                            2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                            2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                            2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                            1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

My original lopo engine with 3.73, mustang HO intake, bored out EGR spacer and HO throttle body and just mustang headers and H pipe to 2.5 exhaust would boggie quite well. I took a member from this site on a quick spirited drive and it took him by surprise. Got a bit sideways while entering the parkway.... He asked if it was HO convered. Nope. LOPO with just a few upgrades. They can move okay with some work.
                              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X