HVAC goes to floor/defrost while accelerating/cruising on Expressway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update:
    Ya dudes were all right about the TBL, Motorcrap replacement was leaking. System itself held 22 -whatever abbreviation used for vacuum- for 3 minutes. Back started to hurt so I had to move, otherwise I would've tested it longer. Tested it right at lines going to TBL, the black line. Was going to test soup can and system from soup can's line but couldn't get line off. I think it's safe to say that trash isn't trash since it is all linked together and held vacuum. On a side note, I couldn't find vacuum distribution tree either, hidden by lots of garbage or I'm just not good at finding things. Well, I did discover my throttlebody is leaking coolant at the gasket so that's gotta get refurbed..

You dudes aren't going to like the solution though- I cobbled another TBL together from the old body with the new TBL's guts, that one seemed to hold vacuum whereas the "new" one didn't.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Eh, I'm all for simplifying things, but if more complicated suits your own needs better it's all good - I myself am adding 4-wheel ABS where people tend to remove even the simple rear-only, so yeah, if this TBL works and holds up run it.
      The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
      The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Cool.

The tree is not obvious. It lives near the PCV. If your symptom goes away don't play any more with the lines as you might make a leak. The lines are old after all. I actually am impressed that they hold up as well as they do given even newest box is at least a "classic".
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
          Eh, I'm all for simplifying things, but if more complicated suits your own needs better it's all good - I myself am adding 4-wheel ABS where people tend to remove even the simple rear-only, so yeah, if this TBL works and holds up run it.
          Meh, I'm just stubborn. Stupid car had it from factory and so I'm trying to keep it that way since I don't feel like yanking the upper intake to get to vacuum lines and shiz. If this one leaks what I'll do is just seal up the holes on the inside of the TBL.
          Also, What goes south on those is that thermostatic piston/plunger job it seems. New one is much more sensitive, also explains why my factory one didn't work well despite me reconditioning- Once I popped it open I could see the metal slider barely made contact with the other pin, plus there's lots of wear on those parts so that isn't helping.

It's worth noting that the aftermarket (Motorcraft) TBL has nipples that are considerably narrower than the factory TBL, could be what accounts for some of the leak problem and why I decided to use the factory body with 90% of the replacement's parts. Other thing I noticed is the little slider that opens & closes the vacuum path between the two nipples is a bit shorter than the factory one, probably also what accounts for some of the leak, so that part I didn't reuse. I reused the factory o-ring as the Motorcraft one looked damaged already, LoL, timebomb waiting to happen I suppose. Good thing I didn't start road tripping with that...

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
          Cool.

The tree is not obvious. It lives near the PCV. If your symptom goes away don't play any more with the lines as you might make a leak. The lines are old after all. I actually am impressed that they hold up as well as they do given even newest box is at least a "classic".
          Oh, great. No wonder I didn't see it lol. I hope not to touch the lines any more and hope they live for many more years haha.
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
          X