No announcement yet.

Whistling right above engine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well you'd just be checking to see if that is the source of the leak, maybe that's not the thing causing the noise.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Where could the potential leak be, besides where it mounts to the throttle body?
      "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
      -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
      -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
      -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Dunno, the armchair quarterback in me is thinking of my nose when it's full of crispy boogers... My nose whistles until they're cleared away by pneumatic or mechanical means. So, perhaps you do indeed have crud built up on that plunger and so it couldn't hurt to take the thing off, clean it thoroughly and give it a new gasket. You say it gets worse as it warms up which supports my booger theory as the plunger will close more to reduce the idle but since crud is potentially built up on the plunger it could be causing the whistle....

Comment

Update,

So I cleaned around the throttle body (the flappy thing) and in addition took off the IAC and cleaned it with brake parts cleaner (made sure to get inside there). cut Anew gasket out for her and put it back in. I have now noticed that the idle def went down quite a bit. On cold start up it will even just about stay at low idle so it barely runs, which I guess is a good thing and bad thing.

I had noticed that as I was cleaning up and the car was running, like a light switch it started to make the whistling noise again!!!!!!!!!!

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
          -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

When I fire my TC up in dead cold conditions it stays at high idle for about 20 to 30 seconds then drops down to a lower idle then finally normal idle once fully warmed up. Yours should be doing the same thing. I vote dying stepper motor or stuck plunger. When you take the IAC off you gotta take the little screws off that hold the stepper motor to the IAC body, clean all that real good, then lube up the stepper motor with some lube. I used Lucas chain lube. No issues in 1.5 years so far.

Comment

Originally posted by porschpow View Post
              Update,

So I cleaned around the throttle body (the flappy thing) and in addition took off the IAC and cleaned it with brake parts cleaner (made sure to get inside there). cut Anew gasket out for her and put it back in. I have now noticed that the idle def went down quite a bit. On cold start up it will even just about stay at low idle so it barely runs, which I guess is a good thing and bad thing.

I had noticed that as I was cleaning up and the car was running, like a light switch it started to make the whistling noise again!!!!!!!!!!
              Sounds like the IAC is stuck shut, fried, or the connector fell off.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

yeah its not supposed to idle stupid low.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well, I swapped out for a new IAC, idles Beautifully however, it still whistles, So I went around the motor, and the whistling gets really ear piercing when you go in that little area BTW the firewall and back of the motor on the passenger side. I will post pics of the location

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                  -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Vac leak. Probably coming from under the manifold as that's where all the tubes/T's live.

Comment

Well under the manifold, I don't think there are any vacuum tubes and t's.

Maybe for the boxes, but I don't think the 4.6's have them there.

I do suspect a vacuum leak though

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                      -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Oh, I thought we were talking about the '89 Townie as it's the only panther listed in your signature and you didn't specify the vehicle previously.

Comment

But the thread is in the aero/whale tech section.

yeah... I've made that mistake plenty too.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

the vacuum tree is in the same general area on the firewall. Definitely worth a check of the AC vacuum lines and the tree itself. May just need new hoses as they may be almost rock hard and not sealing any more (the fat ones are known for that.. like the one the AC check valve is on).

Comment

How would you check around the tree? Just do the propane test??? I tried doing that, idle didn't surge..

Maybe I didn't hold it close enough to the tree (the propane nozzle)

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                              -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                                But the thread is in the aero/whale tech section.

yeah... I've made that mistake plenty too.
                                ..yes, yes it does. I'll see my way out now.

Comment

Working...
                                X