PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1989 Mercury Colony Park

2 decades of DDing Box Panthers, now in a Whale VicCrownVic's Avatar

Reminds me of the engine that was in The Ice Car. It was breathing oil out of the PCV and a bit quicker than what you're seeing toward the end, but it still ran well enough. My dad and I put a hose in place to vent it down into the rear of the passenger fender to keep the car running until I got The Scab on the road.
    Eventually I would like to get that engine apart and see what's going on. I'm thinking worn rings, but I doubt I'll get to that engine anytime soon if ever (too much going on this summer and summer isn't even here yet).
    Vic

~ 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, summer DD
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon - wannabe winter DD - returning summer 2020, I finally have an engine
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "The Ice Car" - My rotting winter DD
    ~ 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Rotting Retired DD
    Gone but not forgotten:
    ~ 1988 Country Squire ~ 1987 Ford Crown Vic

Holy shit, and I thought our boxes were bad! I'm guessing you see a lot of smoke out the tail pipe? I never see any with the K1500 or our boxes. Just a good thing we check the oil all the damn time.

Vic, it's funny how that thing went from not using oil to just wham over night type of thing. What kind of oil did you run in it?
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

It wasn't over night, there were warning signs. Lower intake leaked oil by the distributor when I bought that car. After fixing that the oil pressure switch sprung a gushing leak. Also, there was always oil in the TB and IAC (at least after changing the original clogged PCV screen filter). The part that was over night was the not staying running when I came to stops unless I helped it. That could have been a combination of things since I put the same intake and associated sensors on the "new" engine and don't have that problem.

As for oil, I've always ran the cheapest conventional stuff. Maybe not the best choice but that's what has been used without issue in the engine from my '89 which is at about 120k miles since being rebuilt back in 2003.
    Last edited by VicCrownVic; 04-14-2017 at 08:30 AM.
    Vic

~ 1997 GMC Yukon - wannabe winter DD - returning summer 2020, I finally have an engine
    Gone but not forgotten:

Southern

My 66 is a smoke show hahaha. It's like 150 miles 2-3 quarts of oil lol and it's making a mess.

The remaining clear coat on the hood is really peeling now so no more clear on the car except below the wood grain haha

Oooh, I was under the assumption it just happened. OH well, it's all better now. I run Valvoline SynPower in everything with Purolator Boss oil filters. I used to run Castrol years back. Valvoline seems to be doing just dandy.

Damn, that is a lot of oil haha.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Dang, that is a lot of oil. I don't think The Ice Car was quite that bad, but close at about 1qt every 100 miles.
    Vic

Gone but not forgotten:

Southern

I took this car on a trip back in may up to greenville SC and back. By the time I was about 10 min from my house on the interstate, the car had a bit of a skip. When I got out of the car, the fuel pump was SCREAMING. I parked the car for most of summer and hardly drove it. Early November, I got the car out, and took it for an oil run (waste oil). It did a skip/buck once or twice didn't think much of it. NExt day was taking it up to Rock Hill SC and it was skipping badly. Had to make a U turn and bring home. I'm sure a plug is fowled, the fuel pump probably isn't happy either. The motor is just tired and worn out. Too bad, the car really was a smooth runner. Rode well and ran well.

Once I finish the front end rebuild on the BMW and do the timing chain guides on it, I'm going to start taking the Explorer motor out of the Explorer and get to building it up to put in the Colony Park!

----

Pro Tip!

I noticed when moving the vehicle out of its parking spot, I heard a sloshing sound in the rear. Thought it was jump seat area - dry.

Noticed the back pocket behind driver wheel was making sounds. I squeezed and pinched the fuel overflow hose and some crap came out of it. Droplets but still sloshing. So ran my hand around and felt some fiberous material coming out of a hole. Moved it and water came out. Looked and saw the drain hole had some crap in it - kept pulling and more and more crap came out.

It was the insulation matting glued to the back quarter had fallen into the pocket (old glue). So it clogged the drain! Now it flows beautifully. So if you want to prevent rotting out that quarter, keep an eye on that!
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 (2x) TC, 06 TC, 07 TC
    03 BMW 540iT, 04 Ford F150 4.6 XLT Reg cab, 8ft bed

Quote Originally Posted by TecNickal View Post
    Once I finish the front end rebuild on the BMW and do the timing chain guides on it, I'm going to start taking the Explorer motor out of the Explorer and get to building it up to put in the Colony Park!
    If you need a second pair of hands, you can always give me a call. Should be more fun with some extra ponies under the hood.

My Cars:
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1989 Sable LS Wagon (88,710 Miles) - Sold
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (210K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Southern

Part two of the adventure today was moving my rusty POS Ford explore out to the concrete pad by the workshop. This involved playing Chinese fire drill with the fleet. Using the equivalent of dollar tree tiedowns we were able to hook up the frame of Zack’s 87 colony park. After three efforts made to turn the explore, we were able to move it out of its spot that it was parked in March 2017 in my backyard . We were able to drag it from the rear crossmember (as the bumper had rotted off and fallen), as well as sticking the tiedowns in the rot holes to connect to pieces of the frame.

Now the process can begin. Time to pull the motor! 96 explorer V8 motor into a 89 colony Park. Let the fun begin…
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

Southern

Explorer motor is removed.

Hope in next couple of weeks to be able to remove and haul off junk explorer. Then can let wagon disassembly begin!
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

Southern

Got the heads off the engine this evening. And the intake and Plenum. Taking the heads to the machine shop tomorrow morning. Just want to make sure the heads are good, as well as have a new valve seals installed.

Zach is coming to help me remove the engine in my 89 on Thursday. It’s supposed to be 96… Glad it’s fall :-(

Goal is to have the explorer motor in the wagon by the end of the day. I can do the remainder of assembly from there with timing cover, water pump etc.
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

Panther engine removal isn't as bad as Explorer engine removal, but it had it's moments. The exhaust was a real chore. Something just seemed off about it since I've dropped the early style converters from my car, and there was room. This one just didn't on the upper ones, plus, they were hulk tight. I think we spent more time getting those bolts off compared to most of the other work.

Anyway, engine did come out last night. Nick zapped off the oil pan and pickup. Distributor and fuel rail was pulled off. The sensors and related front Panther bits will likely be snatched off later.

My Cars:
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1989 Sable LS Wagon (88,710 Miles) - Sold
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (210K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Fire is the best lubricant for exhaust bolts. Heat until bright red, they zip right off. Need an oxy-fuel torch for that, propane won't do it. Plumber's torch might but it will take longer.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Southern

Well Zach did the update - thanks Zach!

Yea. I have a few friends from New England. I’ve learned about the value of an torch - also known as bolt/nut remover haha. But glad it’s apart.

I won’t be taking this car on the tour of Lake Erie - but I will take the 90 in a few days.

I’ve removed all I care about short of the tube for the heater core, timing cover and harmonic balancer. It f8nally rained here for the first time in a month. Can you say drought? Engine is tarped. The good engine is in the garage.

Ordering magnaflow cats and a mark 7 D9s pcm.
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

Southern

Here is the Marti for the wagon.
    2MEBM79F9KX702334_dlxrpt.pdf
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

what is a deck lid release on a wagon?
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

I post a lot... knucklehead0202's Avatar

Very cool, glad you're making progress. You should whack a cam and a better set of heads on that beast if you're going to all this trouble. Oh wait, you're not going MAF are you? Shit, nevermind.

I really like reading the Marti Reports on these.
    1988 Crown Vic Wagon - daily
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, former lawn ornament
    Other: 95 Ranger, 74 F250, 68 Mustang, 94 Mustang
    Sold: 1982 LTD and 1987 Crown Vic

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Southern

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    what is a deck lid release on a wagon?
    im a bum and never responded. Excellent question i have no clue lol Ill go look through my brochure to see if there was some kind of special release mechanism...my 89 does not have any kind of button in the glovebox.
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

Southern

Haha yea Im being "lazy" knucklehead - just using stock exploder stuff.

So Zach (Kodachrome Wolfe) has been an immense help thus far. Having a second person around to provide some ideas/guidance is a huge help. I know what I'm doing, but motivation is lacking at times. And I have too many projects...

So exciting news - the wagon has been pushed off the concrete pad since I'm done hooking crap up under it. I still have a solid day of tinkering around with stuff to get things set up properly (TB, IAT, plenum, EGR, vacuum , etc). Then its finally time to START IT!!! What a mother it was getting the flexplate, bell housing, engine and all lined up. I am not a GM guy, but the utilization of bolts on the torque converter is SO much better than trying to line up three things at once. Anyways, its all in and installed. Even replaced a couple of MISSING bell housing bolts. Accessories are mounted. 3G Alternator is installed (and now I understand why everyone recommends - I never followed why). The connector fitment at the alternator is the main thing. Resistance increases as spades seperate from heat/age/time and you have fire - esp if wires touch. My 90 still has the OG alternator...that thing needs to go!

Anyways, once that's done I'll be back in business and look forward to seeing how it runs with D9S Mark 7 PCM (thanks again Derek and Ashley!!!).
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast