No announcement yet.

1989 Mercury Colony Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice work guys. Poor wagon looks like it has been sitting for some time. Going to be a cloud of debris behind it once you get it moving.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I can hear the brake booster leak. shhhhhhhhh every time the pedal goes down.

one thing I will give hydroboost, never have to worry about that. The power steering pump makes random noises instead.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Haha Thanks David! Yea it's going to be a mosquito fogger once I take it off the property and run it! That EGR Spacer is doing the trick. I stopped driving the car...October 2018? Due to the wasted rings. So yea lots of dirt and pollen. Needs a bath!

Yea we noticed that too..I scored a Ford booster for like a 96 Vic for $60 to my door. Brand new. I put one in my 1990 too so I could get rid of the big pancake. Zach did it on his 87, makes for a lot more room.

Hydroboost on my 05 Yukon I sold was nice and smooth. Pump did make noise randomly - ha that's true. Forgot about it.

Next is to clean everything out of it (storage locker), air tires up, replace booster, clean it so i can see out the windows, install a replacement radiator, adjust timing, install a better temp gauge...and drive it!
        -Nick M.
        Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
        03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

I have some sad news to report. As I was fixing the poor cat to H pipe flange exhaust leaks I singed my arm a little on the cat - that hurt a bit lol

But more importantly, the rear main seal has a good steady drip of oil out of it :-( No its nothing else but that only. I'm really bummed. And I am not taking a trans or engine out for a rear main with jackstands etc. Off to my local trans shop later on when they have time. I wonder what happened - it was replaced with a FelPro 1 piece. Still needs the exhaust fixed, i'm going to get some FelPro gaskets and get rid of the garbage ones that came with the replacement cats.
          -Nick M.
          Columbia, SC

Comment

Bummer.
            Even when you try to do thing properly you get punished.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

You put thread sealer on the flexplate bolts? If it's not the rear main seal it could be that. When I put the 306 in The Ice Car I didn't put thread sealer on those bolts, figured the leak was the rear main seal (although that engine didn't leak before) so I got everything I needed to do the rear main seal. Got in there and found it was those bolts.
              Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
              ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
              ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

If the crank gets scratched when the rear main is pulled it will leak. Same if there is a wear groove. I'm not real motivated to change those seals unless its giving me trouble.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
                  You put thread sealer on the flexplate bolts? If it's not the rear main seal it could be that. When I put the 306 in The Ice Car I didn't put thread sealer on those bolts, figured the leak was the rear main seal (although that engine didn't leak before) so I got everything I needed to do the rear main seal. Got in there and found it was those bolts.
                  I was the one who put the seal in. It looked right when it went in.

That said, I dunno if we stuck thread sealer on the bolts. I know I didn't...

My Cars:
                  -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                  -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                  -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                  -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

its coming from inside the bellhouse and not the rear of the oil pan?

Comment

In my case (flexplate bolts w/o thread sealer) oil was running down the front of the dust cover/inspection plate. The oil dripped down as it exited and did not travel the length of the bolt into the bellhousing.
                      Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

huh, i'd have expected it to come out behind the bolt head, not between the crank and flexplate. Not sure I put sealer on mine either now that I think on it. Might have done loctite, which would seal the threads.

Comment

Yeah, I was certain it was the rear main seal. Despite no leaks from the engine before the swap and none of the gaskets I replaced while it was out of the car looked like they needed it.

When I removed the bolt at the bottom of the circle oil came out (for maybe half a second, no more than a couple seconds) like I had removed an oil drain plug. It was at that moment that I realized I probably ordered a rear main seal for nothing. I replaced it anyway but it definitely did not appear to need replacing just like the rest of the gaskets I had already done (heads on up + oil pan). After the fact I read in the '91 service manual that I should have put thread sealer on those bolts. I've removed and installed AODs a half dozen+ times, but this was my first engine swap. Won't make that mistake again.
                          Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
                            I was the one who put the seal in. It looked right when it went in.

That said, I dunno if we stuck thread sealer on the bolts. I know I didn't...
                            No worries here. And yes it looked right when it went in. Agreed. But I was thinking about things.

I do not recall applying oil to the rear main seal ID...and I bet it’s spun....dry tight seal. Just like my 87 Taurus that someone installed incorrectly, causing it to do the same thing

Vic - mines doing that exact leak like yours. It’s coming from inside the bellhousing like gadget said. Neither Zach nor I applied any kind of thread sealer on the flexplate bolts - I never have in the past. Come to think of it they were damp threads but I don’t recall seeing any sealer on the bolts from the Explorer.
                            -Nick M.
                            Columbia, SC

Comment

thinking about it, the holes for the crank don't go into the oil pan on the engine. The rear main seal is between the bolt flange and the oil pan so there shouldn't need to be sealer on anything.

Comment

From what I remember, The one piece seal has to be installed in about 1/8 inch, not flush with the block. There is a special installation tool that makes it fit in that way. I remember reading if the seal is flush with the block, it WILL leak. WagonMan
                                89 Colony Park
                                90 Colony Park
                                70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Working...
                                X